Turn Signal Relay/Flasher Failure - Honda CB

VintageMBike

Been Around the Block
Has anyone experienced flasher failure?

As a flasher fails, can that result in only 1 of 4 signal lights flashing?

My 1973 Honda CB500F is being weird.

Front left and rear signals dont work at all, and only the right front works, and flashes SUPER FAST. Rear Right doesnt work.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    682.5 KB · Views: 185
Have you checked your bulbs to see if they've burned out or disconnected? Hyperflashing indicates low resistance, which is caused by burned out incandescent bulbs or from using an incandescent type relay on LED lights.

Sent this for you yesterday on your other thread about this same problem.

But now cant find it. So here it is again. Its totally FREE!

https://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp?p=1783

^ That looks like a shady link to me. I wouldn't download that. Nothing is free.

Heres another download...from Tim

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20071.msg206466#msg206466

irk miller said:
Have you checked your bulbs to see if they've burned out or disconnected? Hyperflashing indicates low resistance, which is caused by burned out incandescent bulbs or from using an incandescent type relay on LED lights.

I have the original manual. I have no need to download the manual.

I replaced all the bulbs and they are stock incandescent type. Im confident its a flasher issue but wanted to get feedback from others (and outside of the manual) who might be knowledgeable on this issue.

Ive ordered a new flasher and will report back with the results.

I don’t believe the flasher would be the problem.
As it only controls power feed to all the bulbs. So either all or nothing there.
If you tested all the bulbs good.
A couple plugs may be loose.
The schematic in your manual shows all the plugs in the circuit, they can be tested w multimeter or light.

trek97 said:
I don’t believe the flasher would be the problem.
As it only controls power feed to all the bulbs. So either all or nothing there.
If you tested all the bulbs good.
A couple plugs may be loose.
The schematic in your manual shows all the plugs in the circuit, they can be tested w multimeter or light.
The flasher relay does much more than just feed power. The internals from a flasher relay has an electrical contact, a larger piece of curved spring steel with a contact and resistive wire wrapped around a smaller piece of spring steel. At first, the curved spring steel does not make contact, and power is sent via the resistor and the small piece of spring steel. The lights are very dim. As current flows through the resistor, it heats up the small spring steel, which bends the larger curved piece until it makes contact and the power then bypasses the resistor. The light is bright. No power to the resistor, so it cools quickly, light goes dim and the cycle starts over. As with all heating elements and resistors, they usually have a finite life cycle. They absolutely can wear out or go bad.

Agreed, however in this instance he has one working (flashing) signal.
So it is working.

trek97 said:
Agreed, however in this instance he has one working (flashing) signal.
So it is working.

Thats not quite correct. A failing flasher can work intermittently which is still not properly. Just because one light works doesnt mean the flasher is good. Its hyperflashing, AND the bulb in the front panel (Signal, Oil, Neutral etc) is staying on steady so a capacitor in the flasher is shot. Id bet money its the flasher.

As Ive said, I have the SAME problem as this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCROl74vGvU

Just buy a new flasher. Its like $5 part at the FLAPS. I've had shitty flashers that made the directionals flash slow, or not work at all. Its a 5 second fix.

advCo said:
Just buy a new flasher. Its like $5 part at the FLAPS. I've had shitty flashers that made the directionals flash slow, or not work at all. Its a 5 second fix.

Thanks. I picked up a novita flasher at Autozone for $7 today. Will put it on tomorrow. As you suggest, I dont think its more complicated than a busted flasher.

Back
Top Bottom