Re: Yamaha xs400 (Tracker/dual sport) VIDEO!

MILLENNIUM FALCON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I started this thread in the "specials but have since changed the location. Here is the link. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=31395.msg340149#msg340149 I finally got some pictures of my $100 donor bikes. I am excited to start tearing things apart and begin my Hybrid creation. xs+xt = XTS400 Enduro.
DSC_0097.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg
DSC_0059.jpg
DSC_0061.jpg
DSC_0063.jpg
DSC_0064.jpg
DSC_0065.jpg

Re: XTS400.

Holy bloody Moly! You got a freaking complete bargain there! Well done!
Are you going to stay put in this section now or is one or these going to be cafe'd ;)

Yeah I thought these bike were a great deal, I know I can sell $100 worth of parts off of them. The decal alone is worth $100...haha. I started stripping the XS400 tonight. It looks so much better (less choppery) already. It lost a ton of weigh too. I am stripping it down to the frame so I can work on mounting the xt swing arm and so I can figure out how hard it is going to be to fit the xt forks on the sx head. I don't think this is a common swap ;D. I'm thinking about making a whole new fabbed frame in the rear to give the rear suspension more room to compress and to lose some weight. I cant get over how much heavier the XS frame construction is when compared to the xt. I am really glad I have something to work on cuz I aint riding any time soon.....a plow truck just rumbled by as I am typing this.
DSC_0062.jpg
DSC_0070.jpg
DSC_0071.jpg
DSC_0072.jpg
DSC_0073.jpg

Erskine said:
Holy bloody Moly! You got a freaking complete bargain there! Well done!

I think I'm going to stay here now. I want my next cafe to be a 2-stroke. :)

Are you going to stay put in this section now or is one or these going to be cafe'd ;)

Sorry this build is moving so slow. I am still in the R&D stage. I did just pick up the rest of my parts included in the $100 xt350 transaction. What a deal I though he just had the fuel tanks, but man he gave me a ton of great stuff. Now I can descide if I want to put the xt suspension on the xs frame or the xs motor in the xt frame. My dad an I just finished my sweet bike bench so now I can work in comfort!
102_5151.jpg
102_5152.jpg
102_5153.jpg
102_5154.jpg
102_5155.jpg

Why can't we all have such deals? And benches. And parts.

Exited to see where this goes!

Mate that's a nice score for sure! And nice work on the work bench, that'll make it tons easier.

I really wish I had room for one too but not gonna happen...

I'm stoked for this build man! You are doing something I want to do after the 550 is out of the way! Hell to the yeah.

I pulled the engine out of the xs400 tonight. I did some measuring and I really think I can fit it in the xt350 frame. I could cut the xs frame where I have the blue tape and weld it onto the XT350 frame. I need to do some more "engineering" before I decide. I think the biggest issue would be the Carbs and air filters. The engine is about the same height and front to back, it is wider but that's ok, it will just stick outside the frame. I bent a piece of tubing to match the contour of the XS400 frame and taped it to the XT350 frame, appoximately where it would be attached and I think it will work. Any thoughts???? My main reason for going this rout would be to avoid having to adapt the suspension to the xs chassis. Also the XT frame geometry would be better for stand up riding.
102_5186.jpg
102_5189.jpg
102_5184.jpg

I have some time off work between Christmas and new years, so my plan is to get the 400 engine in the 350 frame. I need to get my wood stove hooked up first. Its a little chilly in the garage.

I spent a little time trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I cut a section of my frame out so I can set the motor in. I still think its going to be to tight with the carbs.
102_5196.jpg
102_5197.jpg
102_5198.jpg
102_5199.jpg
102_5200.jpg

Oh yes! What's the chain alignment looking like?
Santa likes a warm angle grinder ;)

Back
Top Bottom