building a better bol d'or - a n d DONE!

Re: building a better bol d'or (super sport for you north americans ;-) )

Lookin' good! ;D

Gonna hafta wear shades around that paint job! :D

Drewski said:
Lookin' good! ;D

Gonna hafta wear shades around that paint job! :D

yeah. I can be subtle with the best of them. This ain't one of those occasions however ::)

ian

Re: building a better bol d'or-decal time

Spent some time waiting for paint to cure, but eventually got my decals on. Now they need to sit for a couple of days.

orangeDecals.jpg

That's all you get until the final clear goes on ;)

cheers
ian

man i really like it flat to be honest, maybe like a 60% or 40% gloss clear over it! that looks trick!!! shop is looking awesome man!

JRK5892 said:
man i really like it flat to be honest, maybe like a 60% or 40% gloss clear over it! that looks trick!!!

Well, to tell you the truth, the original plan was to do a satin. But that was with another base coat. This orange has a nice pearl in it, and it just doesn't light up properly until you hit it with a nice glossy clear. I don't want to waste all that good money, but I hear ya Joe. A satin finish is def. in my future ;)

Re: building a better bol d'or (we have gloss)

Well. 38 degrees C (100) with a hot north westerly blowing a gale. Perfect bushfire conditions here :(

The thermo-meter in the garage just hit 50 degrees (120), so I'm outta there. I think my poor old beer fridge is about to self-destruct, so I might have to empty it in a pre-emptive, new years eve stike :D

On the plus-side, I did manage to clear-coat everything yesterday when it was a mild 30 degrees (85?):

cleared.jpg

Makes baking them a little easier too :wink:

Happy new year guys.

cheers
ian

Re: building a better bol d'or. See. I told you...

In the words of Spike Milligan... See. I told you it was hot in my garage!

polish.jpg

That used to be a bar of polishing rouge. Admittedly it was sitting on a sunny-spot of the bench under the skylights, but I didn't expect to find it like this :)

Oh. The fridge survived, after I relieved it of some of it's contents ;D
cheers
ian

Re: building a better bol d'or

A couple of cheap shots to distract from the fact I haven't done a lot lately ;)

dressedLeft-1.jpg

dressedRight-1.jpg

Happy new year ;D

cheers
ian

WOW!!! Loooking great, nice work!! 8)

That gun metal grey, or whatever is on the motor, looks outstanding!!!

I used to be a "no front fender guy" but I have changed my opinion. I think your bike would look great with a 94 CBR600 front fender. They are all over ebay for cheap. Anyway, just a thought.

Keep up the great work, very talented!!! :D

ctluba said:
WOW!!! Loooking great, nice work!! 8)

That gun metal grey, or whatever is on the motor, looks outstanding!!!

I used to be a "no front fender guy" but I have changed my opinion. I think your bike would look great with a 94 CBR600 front fender. They are all over ebay for cheap. Anyway, just a thought.

Keep up the great work, very talented!!! :D

Thanks ct.

It's called metallic charcoal ;-)

RE: the front fender. Would you believe I just forgot to put it on for the pics. I think you can see a pic of it a couple of posts up. A cut-down cbr900 unit.

cheers
ian

dammmn, dude it looks so cool!
great work man! i love it!

Ian, this bike is simply amazing! It is almost pure perfection! I think with a nice new seat cover and loose the old grab strap, it would be PERFECT! Great job, awesome design, and impeccable execution! I can’t wait to see this finished! How long now before you think you will be done……let’s get a deadline on this beast!

Ewwwww-weeeee-wow! Looks even better than what I thought it would!
Killer!!!

-KR

bikeboy said:
Thanks ct.

It's called metallic charcoal ;-)

RE: the front fender. Would you believe I just forgot to put it on for the pics. I think you can see a pic of it a couple of posts up. A cut-down cbr900 unit.

cheers
ian

Come on then, bolt that thing on there and snap a few pics. Cant wait to see it on there, will make a big difference in the overall look.

WOW man loving the paint and the whole bike to be honest!

That's one killer paint job!! :eek: :eek: ;D

The whole project is gorgeous!! 8)

Re: building a better bol d'or

Well, slow going without a compressor :-\

Managed to get a chain guard fashioned out of some flat stock. I read somewhere it needs to be 1.5 times the width of the chain? Might have been some regs for historic racers, but seems like a good starting point.

chainGuard.jpg

chainGuard2.jpg

Let me know if you think it will work, or if needs modifying? There seems to be a lot of 'air' around it, but I'm not sure how much clearance I need?

cheers
ian

Looks good to me. Nice work. Almost has that "race team fabricated" look to it with the allen head screws and all. 8)

Back
Top Bottom