1998 Gsxr 750 build

Thinking about buying a GSXR 750 next summer.Are the performance/torque specs very different between the 1100 and the 750´s?I guess the 600´s need to get revved a lot to get some speed out of them...

Depends on the year really. The 1100 were fast and had plenty of torque. In my opinion the 750's and the 600's live for rpm's. But I suppose that is true for any smaller displacement engine. The newer 600's will run off and hide from the older 750's. what year are you thinking of getting?

1fasgsxr said:
Depends on the year really. The 1100 were fast and had plenty of torque. In my opinion the 750's and the 600's live for rpm's. But I suppose that is true for any smaller displacement engine. The newer 600's will run off and hide from the older 750's. what year are you thinking of getting?

The early SACS motor 600's are a bit overweight as cases are same as 750, (so just drop a 750 top end on) later ones got thinner sections in various parts but still overweight in my opinion. (even though I have a 95 Katana 600) 600 and 750 are more or less same motor, 1100 uses same bore spacing and main bearing diameter so 'in theory ;) ' it's possible to fit 1100 crank, rod, block, head etc and have a 6 speed transmission. ( and use a 1200 Bandit block ;) ) With lower red line, 1100 never got shimmed rocker arms but 600 and 750 did which gave extra 500 rpm top end (Yoshimura wanted lighter valve train for racing but it spat the shims out with high lift cams and high rpm)
You may notice Suzuki introduce 'new' 600/750 every other year and 1100 (now 1000) in between
When I worked in Suzuki dealers it was a toss up between Honda and Yamaha for a 600, GSX-R for a 750 and Kawasaki for 1000/1100. Things took a dramatic change wen Suzuki got water-cooling 8)

Ryan, how fast do you want to go? Even the oldest 600 will be fast enough for most situations. If you want a relatively cheap torque monster take a look at an 1100.

Plus the cool factor for the 1100 is much higher... Every other young guy around here is riding a newer 600 and don't have a clue how to ride it. If a guy were to pull up on an old 1100 you can bet your ass I'm gonna walk over and look at it and not pay any attention to all the modern bikes.

crazypj said:
Probably my most favorite engine ever. 8)
Which 1100, L, M? Still pretty twitchy on the street but ideal for racing
It does have limitations but a dead reliable 140 bhp. (more with a modified 1200 Bandit motor)
Oil cooling isn't most efficient but beats the hell out of air cooled (unless ducted fan) One thing Suzuki did introduce to motorcycle world that 'everyone' now uses - under piston oil jets squirting on bottom of piston crown.
With modern low viscosity synthetic oils, heat transfer can be improved but still needs more oil cooler surface area than a water cooled motor
Oil jets under piston is an old dirt track trick at least since the 60's

1100 was the first road bike to lap the TT course at an average speed of over 120mph. It was a very big deal its its day, and it ain't no sluggard today.

1fasgsxr said:

I´m thinking about getting this ugly streetfighter I found not far way from my hometown and changing back the angle of the seat, repaint it and ride the ish out of it.
Really an eye-sore right now.
Its a 1100 built in 1989.What do you think?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 641
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 668
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 667
Yeah fix that tail pointing to the sky and any other things you don't like and ride that thing.. Looks like it is clean otherwise.

datadavid said:
Oil jets under piston is an old dirt track trick at least since the 60's

May have been a dirt track trick but Suzuki were the first to use it on a production bike with oil cooling. How did the get oil jets in dirt trackers though or are you talking Chevy motors with oil feed drilled to squirt on small ends?
That's a German streetfighher style, shows you only ever ride on one wheel so extreme angle is 'right' Being British, 'we' invented streetfigters way before the rest of Europe and think it looks stupid (and is real stupid when you get caught in the rain)

Rods drilled in a "Y" style, directed to spray underneath the piston. Found it in a bsa engine here in sweden and had it explained by an old dirt tracker, apparently very common.. so the japs copied that as well and those german streetfighter with the "tysk-ass", damn they dont look right..

Ryan Stecken said:
I´m thinking about getting this ugly streetfighter I found not far way from my hometown and changing back the angle of the seat, repaint it and ride the ish out of it.
Really an eye-sore right now.
Its a 1100 built in 1989.What do you think?

Looks like half a "bosozoku" style motorcycle. Apparently was a thing, or is a thing, in Japan (and this is a mild example)...

Attachments

• img038.jpg
    img038.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 494
1fasgsxr said:
Yeah fix that tail pointing to the sky and any other things you don't like and ride that thing.. Looks like it is clean otherwise.
If its been ridden like its been designed to, as in constant autobahn wheelies, dont buy it. Noone sane buys old wheelie machines with worn out gearboxes and cranks run with limited oil supply.

datadavid said:
If its been ridden like its been designed to, as in constant autobahn wheelies, dont buy it. Noone sane buys old wheelie machines with worn out gearboxes and cranks run with limited oil supply.

thats what I fear, checked the facebook profile of the seller and he´s the lowered VW Gti kind of guy, young and probably relentless :)
he actually says that the machine never ran and he never had time to clean the carbs and change the battery...i call bullshit.

Ryan Stecken said:
thats what I fear, checked the facebook profile of the seller and he´s the lowered VW Gti kind of guy, young and probably relentless :)
he actually says that the machine never ran and he never had time to clean the carbs and change the battery...i call bullshit.
Hehe, good call i think. This type of bikes are worth close to nothing in sweden

datadavid said:
Rods drilled in a "Y" style, directed to spray underneath the piston. Found it in a bsa engine here in sweden and had it explained by an old dirt tracker, apparently very common.. so the japs copied that as well
emoji16.png
and those german streetfighter with the "tysk-ass", damn they dont look right..

Interesting, never even heard of it previously even with guy's I knew 'back in the day' who raced Triumph twins with just about any mods you could think of (trying to stay 'competitive' with Suzuki/Kawasaki engined Rickman, et al framed bikes) I would think 'Y' oil-ways would be more for cylinder lube though as even a very shallow angle will not direct much to the underside of piston crown? (small end will be better lubricated from piston skirt scraping oil off cylinder walls and some will hit underneath piston.. Piston acceleration with te relatively long stroke motors would probably negate much cooling effect but I have seen many 'pretzeled' BSA/Triumph rods due to small end seizing (sen it on XS650's also)
The oil jet pointing at piston crown was actually copied from late 1920's ~ 1930's aircraft system. I'm not sure who used it first but was 'kinda' well known by time Rolls Royce designed the Kestrel . There is a lot of 'declassified' research available from NACCA, NASA , various defence ministries, etc, the 'trick' is to find whats useful and apply it to a different form of engineering (I think I may have 'invented' a new form of wind powered generator - unless Tesla did it first 100 yrs ago ;D )

Back
Top Bottom