1976 CB200T cafe build UK

Re: 1979- CG125 cafe build UK with cb200 twin conversion

Excellent work, really using intelligence and perseverance, instead of a fat check book, to create something singularly yours. This looks like something worth watching.

Thanks rundown, I'm quite surprised that i could find no information on doing this, its pretty cool to be the only person ( that i could find after hours of trawling the net) to have done this or at least documented it! It's not going to have much more power but it's one of a kind ;)

So this evening I got out into the garage to check the alignment of the engine against the rear sprocket, it turns out by using the top rear mount as a datum the alignment is spot on! Thank you Honda! I'm going to need a matching pair of sprockets and a new chain I think, as the cb200 engine sprocket seems to have a bigger teeth, and I think that if I put the CG125 sprockets on the cb200 engine the chain with will hit the frame as it is so small.

imag0918us.jpg

imag0919y.jpg

Are you not going to make up some mounts for the rear of the engine looks a little loose with just the one bolt supporting the rear of that engine!

Looking pretty swet though looking forward to see the progress of it start coming together! ;D

Tom.

Tom, I'm looking to make some mounts out of 3mm steel, I think I'm going to make them by hand initially, once I've got the templates down I will probably get some cleaner ones laser cut.

These are what I'm looking to make:

1354566949697.jpg

1354566948383.jpg

Looks good, can see a lot of thought is going into this build keep up the good work

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

Re: 1979- CG/CB125 cafe build UK with cb200 twin conversion

Ah i see it now! The mounts shouldnt be too hard to make once youve got the measurements and everything just a case of mocking up some templates i guess, are you welding them to the original mounts then or are you just bolting them through like extentions because if i were you i'd leave some room for maybe some bushings so you can isolate some of that vibration the new engines going to be putting through the frame! I know mine vibrates enough with just the standard engine in let alone a bigger lump! ;D

I think next on my list is maybe doing a few mods and fitting some bushes to the mounts to stop all the horrible vibrations from shaking my hands to death :eek:

Looking pretty awsome at the moment ive just had some new points come through in the post and they look pretty s**t to say the least!

Anyhow im gonn fit them to my bike tomorrow hopefully and get the timing sorted so i can take her for a blast! :)

look forward to seeing some more!

Tom.

so here is the latest update, some 3mm sheet steel came through the post which mean i can get started on the new mounts. It turns out the bolt on mounts are 3mm, but the frame itself is only 2mm steel which is a bit of a pain in the arse, i guess 3mm plate can only make it stronger!

So this was the template i came up with after quite a lot of cutting and shaping, i have also made a CAD version of these for cutting out on a laser or waterjet cutter, so if anyone else wants to do this drop me a message and I will send it to you.

20121208161430.jpg

So i cut it out of the steel plate with an angle grinder, and then put a chamfer on the but joint edges, this will allow for a better weld.

20121209175746.jpg

This is the state it was in after using a gaseless MIG on it, i must buy a gas bottle!

20121209184158.jpg

And cleaned up with the grinder

20121209185417.jpg

Now i just have to do the other side.

20121209185451.jpg

This is amazing. You're a genius! Keep up the photos, I'll be following!

Awesome man! Nice way to make a small bike faster; but the question is...much faster?
Cheers!

That plate looks right at home there after welding it, looks like the engine was meant to just fall into the bike minus all the bending and welding ;)

Any thoughts on maybe doing a bore on the engine to get some more power out of it seeing as the tourque will more than likely be prettygoot with the extra displacement of a twin! I sense a feel for some custom exhaust work maybe a 2 into 1 stubby race pipe? think of how beautiful it would sound! ;D

Tom.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Juan, i think the biggest power up is the added "Lightness"! ive cut taken about 12kgs of junk of the bike, granted the new engine is heavier but not that much. Its more the challenge of doing something a little different. I guess if i wanted a faster bike I could go and buy something bigger, this is just a huge amount of fun to build, i hope riding it brings as much satisfaction!

Tom, The engine will be getting a full rebuild once i have the mounts sorted, ive got a spare set of barrels and some oversized pistons to rebuild it with, ive done a bit of research on the CB200 engines and it seems there is little benefit in big boring them, and you are better off changing valves, and tidying up the ports.

In terms of the exhaust, 2 in 1 would be awesome, i live under a mile away from predator motorsport who make a great 2 into 1 exhaust for the CB200 but it is damn pricey, i might go an have a look at one, then buy some mandrel bends and make my own.

http://predatormotorsport.co.uk/CB200-Honda-Exhaust-System-2-1-Road-Legal/

I really love the sound of this bike though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9e0rMB2lI8

Has to be fitted with some VM 20's i would have thought they'd be pretty nice little upgrade to the bike or maybe the VM 22's im not sure if they'd be too big or not but either way they'd be nicer than the stock carbs if they're not too pricey!

Oh yeah it required reprofiling the cam and everything to really see the benefits which would soon turn into a race build and become pretty damn expensive, after all it is only a cg ;) with a 200 engine of course! Better to have it nice and reliable it'll be a lot nicer than the 125 engine thats for sure.

Yeah have a go at fabbing one up from the previos pipes just bring it across the bottom of the engine and out into the rear of what ever pipes staying stock, think of all the weight you could save it all adds up to more speed! :D

Im gonna be stuck with the same problem on my build as i wanna re route mine directly underneath the engine and run it poking out towards the side i thought it would look pretty imense!

Tom.

So today I came unstuck, no matter how much planning you do there will always be something that catches you out, In my case it was the right hand rear engine mount.

I started by welding in a plate in the same way that I did on the left hand side, however after trying to fit the engine back into the frame it very quickly became clear that the engine would not fit in with the plate in place. Damn.

I ground it down until it would clear the engine and this is what was left.
20121213183304.jpg

As you can see the plate now doesn't cover the rear mount!

I can see only two solutions to this:

1) bend the front leg out some more to allow the frame to clear the engine and then make a new front engine mount.

2) Make the right hand side rear mount in two pieces that can bolt together once the engine is in place.

Option 2 really doesnt feel like the right way of doing it, but i really dont want to bend the frame again, and making a new front mount would be more difficult than making a 2 piece rear. Thoughts?

1355426878358.jpg

So I went with option 2 and it turned out well, it seems to be a robust solution

20121214144912.jpg

20121214155309.jpg

And the finished bracket.

20121214162701.jpg

So the latest update, i got the other engine mounts finished up. The engine is now securely fitting into the frame!

imag1009f.jpg

imag1010m.jpg

and with the tank on:

imag1011bl.jpg

imag1012i.jpg

I also finished up the lower mount:

imag1013y.jpg

imag1014p.jpg

imag1015f.jpg

They just need a coat a of paint now along with the frame and they will be good to go!

On to the rear sets.

Those mounts should hold up real good by the looks of things whats going to be happening about the clearance between the front wheel and the engine mounts becuase i know youve done the front end swap with the rs125 forks. Have you had them on the bike since the engines been in there becuase under full compression it could be a bit tight, just thought it would be bes to check!

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle adding rear-sets too ive still got to sort my exhaust out from when i've built mine !

Tom.

just read the whole thing. pretty awesome hackjob ;)

So a quick christmas update! Ive been having a think around how to do the rear sets and have come up with a couple of options:

1356375788403.jpg

1356375786852.jpg

1356375785522.jpg

I think option 3 is going to be the winning option as it will be the most ridgid, watch this space!

Option 4. 2 legs/. One to the frame and the other to the end of the swingarm should be enough.

Back
Top Bottom