TR1 wannabefast&light

LazyOx

Why try harder if you are #3
Starting soon my build, as soon as I get the paperwork done.
Here in Finland we need to 1st register the bike in original shape but then it's time for some mods.

So here's the starting point.

Planning on putting in Aria forged pistons from Bigtwins.org
http://bigtwins.co/arias/
& a cam, just not figured out how agressive as I would like to be able to Idle etc.
http://bigtwins.co/web-cam/

Plan to lighten the thing as much as possible and so far I've obtained an Delhi made aluminium benelli mojave tank (I know it's cheesy, but no others were available in aluminium) surprisingly it does not seem to leak!

The proven motolanna seat
http://www.motolanna.com/ourshop/prod_1910098-Seat-Cafe-Racer-v30.html

And a ready made subframe from CafeRacerWebshop
http://www.caferacerwebshop.com/yamaha-virago-cafe-racer-subframe.html

Plan to also change the wheels to lighter ones but as I'm on a budget I'm thinking of putting in some "modern" alloys Suzuki GSX 600/750F seem to have the same 17mm rear axle and a underhanging brake caliper that should be simple to fit? or is it?

To the front I'm looking for a Bandit 1200 fork as I understood it should be an easy swap, if anyone has experience on that please share.

I know it's going to be a Yamazu but what can you do when you have no skills and no money.

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1274.JPG
    IMG_1274.JPG
    903.5 KB · Views: 520
  • DSC_2568.jpg
    DSC_2568.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 511
...oh and it's a 1981 Yamaha TR-1 1st pic is when I bought it and 2nd one is the cleaned up version, hope to get it to registration this week and then it's time for the hop up parts;-)

light- 172 kg with full tank 8)
fast? maybe, 140hp with nitrous oxyde and 1100 cc
built for race

bandit forks are heavy, usd are much lighter, if you use a fork not older than 10 years

There's nothing cheesy about that tank, other than being very popular, I would consider filling in the side buttons to change the look.
Pressure test the tank, and get a welder to go over any of the bad welds.
+1 for USD forks.

Yeah I do like the Mojave and luckily my Indian version does not have the "rings" on the side so it's a bit different, not sure about the paint though clear aluminium finish might be cool.

Schlachtwerk your work is an inspiration to me, the TR-1R is AWESOME.
I think I will try to get my hands on some USD forks, but around 100hp should be enough for me :p (probably en up putting a turbo on the bike at some point....)

Attachments

• MojaveAluminium.jpg
    MojaveAluminium.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 450
100 hp is not so easy... and expensive

my engine:
-tr1 block
-bt1100 gearbox, pistons, cylinders, clutch etc, starter motor
-xv750 heads extrem modded, tr1 valves, angle of intake modded to use longer 70mm cones on the dellorto phm 40 carbs
-racing camshafts

the use of filters instead of the cones cost you 8 hp!!!!!!!

the exhaust is important, 2-1 is the best for power, but it is loud
the muffler of last year had an inlet-outlet 50mm on the dyno i miss with it 5hp on top and 10 hp in the middle, now i use an empty cone 55-100mm and down to 70

but if you reeduce the weight to 180kg, the stock engine is good enough with the dellortos

Yep 100Hp might not be too realistic, but I will be happy to 80+ hp figures, hope to get to it with a 2-1 exhaust and the Yoshi pipe pictured.
I had to settle with an aftermarket header pipes as I have no access to pipe welding expertise.
And the high compression pistons (should weight a lot less than the stock)
Compression release needs to be machined to the rear cylinder (Thanks for the tip MxHollywood ;-))
And then the Cam that needs to be ordered, I think I will also need to get new valve springs to avoid floating issues.

The carbs (Dellorto/mikuni tm40) would also be nice but currently the budget is too tight, so the Hitachis will stay at least for the start.

With the weight reduction it should be a nice ride!

Attachments

• 2_1 pipe.jpg
    2_1 pipe.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 554
  • Yoshi.jpg
    Yoshi.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 471
  • Comp_release.jpg
    Comp_release.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 452
  • Pistons small.jpg
    Pistons small.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 475
the dellorto carbs are cheap, much cheaper than mikuni and theyre working much better
here in germany maybe 500,- eur for carbs with cones

Yep, I just found that Dellorto's are available and pretty cheap here in Finland also:
http://www.moposport.fi/mp/kaasuttimet/lukot
Which model is the best suited for a TR1? there is like six 40-41mm models?!
This one: PHM 41 ND 4T [DELLORTO] (With Accelerator pump and adjustment screws on the right) ?

500€ should be enough for a pair, but I just ordered a R6 front end so the carbs might need to wait until next paycheck.

Attachments

• r6 front.JPG
    r6 front.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 413
Subscribed. I'm looking to do a similar build on my 920 come winter. If I'm not mistaken, the Big Twins pistons bump the TR1 to ~10:1 compression, and Hollywood is running 11:1 on a 920. Is the compression release absolutely needed on 10:1?

On a TR1 the header gasket should be lower or actually engraved/inside the cylinder top and so slightly lower than on a 920 hence the higher compression of 11:1.
I'm about to dismantle the head soon to verify this.

Actually I'm hoping to reduce the compression slightly and was thinking if I could achieve that by thickening the crankcase side gasket thickness, but not sure if that will cause probelms with camshaft chain(tensioner)?

Actually the 920 have the "engraved" head gaskets too. Here in the states the XV1000 cylinders were not, so they use a standard type head gasket. I assumed the TR1 cylinders were the same. I'm going to be using XV1000 cylinders for the lower compression ration and less leak prone gaskets.

XV920RH
$_12.JPG

XV1000
$_12.JPG

Did some fitting on the gas tank, seat and exhaust.

Seat looks to fit nicely and so does the exhaust (As soon as I cut the joint 10-20 cm shorter to move the can forwards)

But the tank seems to have a slight problem.
It does not go low enough in the front.
See pics.

Any advice, how to widen the front of the tank "tunnel" so it would go deeper around the frame.
The optimal place is just at the thickest part of the frame, so either I widen the tank or slim down the frame.

I'm betting the tanks needs to open up.

Attachments

• IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1531.JPG
    358.9 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_1532small.jpg
    IMG_1532small.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 1,460
  • Tank underside small.jpg
    Tank underside small.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 401
Modding the tank will probably be the easiest, if you have someone that has the skill to weld aluminum and have it look good.
Polished aluminum does look good, the transition from the tank to the seat will need attention too, it's the perfect time too, if you are already getting work done on the tank.
Can you shorten the pipe enough to bring it in line with the end of the seat? If not, the Exaust-Can could be shortened too, I have a Yosh pipe on my F4i, the sound is sublime.

Thanks for the info Schlachtwerk, I called the carb dealer and they said that the 41mm version is the same as 40mm but costs 25€ less, but they do not know why.
I'm going to double check the the differences at the dealer before purchasing as I was not 100% convinced on their expertise but I think bigger is better so I'm tempted to use the 41mm version because eh it's bigger.

J-Man, yep called a metal shop and taking the tank there later this week to see if widening is possible.

The tank issue is about to get solved, the tank is at the local welder who will do the same thing that was done to Stanley T's Mojave tank.
In Addition I'm planning on adding 35mm of lenght to the side/bottom in the rear so the backplate will integrate to the seat nicer.

Attachments

• Tankin levennys 2.jpg
    Tankin levennys 2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,599
  • Tankin levennys.jpg
    Tankin levennys.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,584
  • Tankin pääty.jpg
    Tankin pääty.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,644
LazyOx said:
Yep 100Hp might not be too realistic, but I will be happy to 80+ hp figures, hope to get to it with a 2-1 exhaust and the Yoshi pipe pictured.
I had to settle with an aftermarket header pipes as I have no access to pipe welding expertise.
And the high compression pistons (should weight a lot less than the stock)
Compression release needs to be machined to the rear cylinder (Thanks for the tip MxHollywood ;-))
And then the Cam that needs to be ordered, I think I will also need to get new valve springs to avoid floating issues.

The carbs (Dellorto/mikuni tm40) would also be nice but currently the budget is too tight, so the Hitachis will stay at least for the start.

With the weight reduction it should be a nice ride!

Those pistons are my re-production design from Arias! The valve clearance is tight be EXTRA EXTRA careful on reassembly that you get the cam timing right, Countless viragos with bent valves out there. Get the viton valve seals while you are at it. Look at my thread near the end I have scope cam taking video of the clearance. Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up Hollywood, I'll try to make sure I get the cam aligned and in the right spot from the 1st try.

Would you recommend the viton seals an both intake and exhaust, I would assume yes, currently no smoking at all although there is 50 000 kilometers on the motor.

LazyOx said:
Thanks for the heads up Hollywood, I'll try to make sure I get the cam aligned and in the right spot from the 1st try.

Would you recommend the viton seals an both intake and exhaust, I would assume yes, currently no smoking at all although there is 50 000 kilometers on the motor.
Yup viton comes in 4s. It's the cam to crank alignment your after. Not just the cam. Check before and after chain tensioner install.

Back
Top Bottom