Pretty Honda Head Gasket leaking from one side only

innovativems said:
Re-tourquing head really is only applicable for a motor that’s been rebuilt. What you are experiencing is a failed gasket/seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I see that now. Ive made preparations to have the entire motor rebuilt over winter.

I'm digging into my mind-vault, and recall some seal at the end of the camshaft or something along those lines that were prone to leaks and can be repaired easily. But it's been a looong time since I rebuild a CB500/550 motor. I've done a couple. High quality PDF versions of the Honda Service and Parts manuals are on the site.

Here's the link

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20071.msg206466#msg206466

The nice thing about the CB500/550 is you can rebuild the motor in-frame. No need to remove the motor. The top-end gasket replacement is easy.

From your photos it looks like a head gasket, but I'm not convinced that would only happen at higher speeds. Now, it may be leaking all the time and the 60MPH is what it takes to get the oil to fly off the fins.

There are a few o-rings on the caps at the ends of the camshaft that might need replacing, and the tach-drive has an o-ring that is often neglected and the cause of many top-end oil leaks.

VintageMBike said:
Yep. I see that now. Ive made preparations to have the entire motor rebuilt over winter.
j

I wouldn't touch the bottom end.

Actually, for way less than $1500, just find a good CB550 to drop in.

Lots of great ideas, but for this season, as long as it's not going too far for too long and you keep an eye on oil levels, you will probably be OK. Setting aside the cash for a complete rebuild is a good idea because no one knows what they will find when they get in there.

You might get lucky and just need a replacement head gasket and seals, but if head is off, may as well cut the seats and no one is going to re-fit cracked chain guides in a professional rebuild and if it needs a cam chain and the motor comes out and so it goes on. Hope for the best and be prepared for the worst.

With any luck the head will still be flat and all it will need is a top end re-fresh. But who knows, maybe a port job and a re-profiled cam and big bore high comp pistons are in its future...........

scott s said:
j

I wouldn't touch the bottom end.

Actually, for way less than $1500, just find a good CB550 to drop in.

Yeah Im looking for a 550F now. Will it take the same carbs as a 500F? Also will the same aftermarket lossa engineering exhaust line up? Im hoping to find a 550 with good mileage. Any other suggestions for places to look other than Ebay?

Everything you currently have will work. All you need is the 550 clutch cable and the clutch cable bracket for the RH side engine hanger.

scott s said:
Everything you currently have will work. All you need is the 550 clutch cable and the clutch cable bracket for the RH side engine hanger.

And need the 550 engine in decent shape!

scott s said:

I might have to carve out time to do this myself. Everyone is a crook. Suggested to one mechanic that I not rebuild but swap out. I asked him what it costs to take out the 500 and put in a 550. He said $1,500.

Back
Top Bottom