1971 SL350 Father & Son Project

Maritime said:
Ouch, I have done that, with safety glasses too, I have bigger ones now. Nice work.
Thanks Mike, and yeah this is the second time that has happened to me, in regards to getting metal in my eye. It's not fun at all. First time though, I was not wearing safety glasses and I had three pieces of metal embedded in the center of my eye. That one was really bad and at the eye doctors office, they had to pick the metal pieces out with a needle and get the scratched areas in front of my cornea buffed out with a Dremel like tool, very much like what dentists use to drill out a cavity. It was an experience for sure. This time they simply picked the metal out with a needle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I have a flap of damage that can recur and give me a blood shot eye and look horrible, then I have to use drops to get the flap to lay back down, it never heals all the way so dry eyes are bad now. I need to blink a lot more in that eye LOL.

Looks great man. I like the relocated exhaust now. Sucks about the metal, my eyes are like magnets for debris in the shop. I swear by these:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DPG82-11-Concealer-Anti-Fog-Safety/dp/B01A12J3GI

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

adventurco said:
Looks great man. I like the relocated exhaust now. Sucks about the metal, my eyes are like magnets for debris in the shop. I swear by these:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DPG82-11-Concealer-Anti-Fog-Safety/dp/B01A12J3GI

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
Thanks, I wish I would have known about those goggles first. I did a bit of grinding with the goggles I bought last Monday and they fog up after a few minutes. I'm going to return them and get the ones you recommended. Thanks man. Yeah the exhaust was way up high on previous photos I think on one of the ones with me on it because I just had it there without the clamp and it fell out down the road and it was hot and I had to get it back on there and the only way it would stay on was while facing higher up.

This is how the bike looks now.

2bc2149c2118793dac614da98fc4b970.jpg

I still gotta figure a better muffler bracket. If I face the muffler the other way (the correct way) then the stud that protrudes out of the exhaust to go on the bracket will hit the swing arm. If I move the exhaust further out to avoid that, then the exhaust will look way out at the tail end
95e57826e022405ffdbf60023fd4e70c.jpg

I will just paint this bracket black for now and ride the bike like this while I break the motor in.

The new AGM battery and SparkMoto Rex/reg unit work great. I have no voltage issues anymore.
d307bbf9412dc74fc117146eb4f10353.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to share a few things.
The bike project in it of itself is pretty much finished. The bike runs and performs great. The maintenance part will always be there and will continue to be an avenue to share moments with my now 18 year old son.

He got his MC permit yesterday and this morning was his first time riding the motorcycle all by himself. He rode it to his high school, and upon arriving, assured me he got there safe.

Maybe this is the equivalent of a mother sharing a baby's first steps with her friends. In any case, I felt like cataloging this moment on this thread.

Thanks to all who came alongside and became part of this journey.

Back
Top Bottom