top 3 manufacturer/model suggestions

cableguy1970

I’m asking for help---what are your top 3 choices for a “café-syle” (that phrase is getting slaughtered these days) project? I’m not a mechanic and it will be my first project---I’ve been riding for 10 years. All I really know up to this point is to buy something that runs and go from there. Aware of CB’s---others? A good handling bike (cornering/braking) is most important to me---NOT what looks good sitting at a Starbucks with a Hollywood model.

Anything air-cooled
Something that sold well when it was released - cheaper and good parts availability
Something that had a long production run - pointing to a strong and reliable package
Something with already a half decent frame with potential - minimising the need for hard core mods
Singles and twins are imho easier to start turning a wrench on

Just my 2C

Sr400/500. Hard to beat almost 50 years of continuous production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend honda CB350/ 360. Lots of parts available. Pretty simply to work on. Lots of information available on it.

same applies for a yamaha XS650

CB/KZ/GS will have plenty of aftermarket.

Being a noob, buy something that is running well, and rideable. Learn how to do basic maintenance, before diving in to a rebuild.

Don't forget the R model BMW's, and several Moto Guzzi's work well. As stated, find something as complete as possible and runs well. Then ride the crap out of it to find it's flaws, then put your mark on it. What I'm saying is, if you come across a deal, keep an open mind. There are just as many parts outside the cookie cutter bikes, Triumph, BSA, BMW and other Euro bikes were the original Cafe's. I like a KZ, CB, SR, XS, etc. as much as the next guy, what I'm saying is, find the best bike you can afford for the best price and start from there. I wish I was like a lot of these guys and could buy a pile of parts and make art, but at my talent level, I buy the best I can find for the least $ and rely on these guys to talk me through issue. Over the years, the best deals I've got were on GS models. A 550 and a 1000, both were amazing bikes and I preferred them over my CB's. There are tons of great bikes out there, be patient and something will come up. Right now there is a very nice GS750 by me for reasonable ($1.4k) and if I had the room, I'd buy it...

Or there is the Royal Enfield. Not fancy, has hop up parts out there, still in production. And you can get an almost new one for what some older bikes go for now.

cableguy1970 said:
I’m asking for help---what are your top 3 choices for a “café-syle” (that phrase is getting slaughtered these days) project?
<snip>
A good handling bike (cornering/braking) is most important to me---NOT what looks good sitting at a Starbucks with a Hollywood model.

If cornering and braking were truly your top priorities you wouldn't be looking at 30 year old bikes to base your project on. Nor would you be putting together a "cafe style" bike... "Cafe style" means nothing these days. What do you want to end up with, specifically? Is a Triton the end all for you? Is a CBwhatever with a skateboard deck for a seat the definition of "cafe style" to you? Is a replica of the first generation superbikes "cafe style" to you? I'm not saying any of those is right or wrong, but they are all end points for someone's definition of "cafe style" and it would take a different starting point to end up with the best functional end point of each style. To me, life is too short to dump time and money into an old Japanese UJM but that doesn't mean you can't make a fun project out of one.

I'm not at all a fan of "look for the best deal" type of projects. Decide what you like first and then search for the bike it will take to get you there. If you seem to gravitate towards Nortons than buy a Norton. If most of the bikes you like are based on CBwhatevers buy a CBwhatever. You need to know what the end point is supposed to be before you can figure out what to start with. The whole "you could start with this or you could start with that or..." approach will lead to "you will end up with this or you will end up with that or...". You're the one who has to decide where you want to end up. "Best cornering/braking, cafe style" bike will be a Triton to some and a Panigale with custom bodywork to others.

If you want the best cornering best braking "cafe style" bike you can get, with no mechanical experience, I'd look at whatever that modern Triumph with the retro styling is. Bolt on whatever farkles catch your eye, and enjoy the ride.

cableguy1970 said:
I’m asking for help---what are your top 3 choices for a “café-syle” (that phrase is getting slaughtered these days) project? I’m not a mechanic and it will be my first project---I’ve been riding for 10 years. All I really know up to this point is to buy something that runs and go from there. Aware of CB’s---others? A good handling bike (cornering/braking) is most important to me---NOT what looks good sitting at a Starbucks with a Hollywood model.

Buy a running KZ650. Start there.

Get an early GPZ....not that I'm bias or anything
It has all of what you are looking for

https://lincoln.craigslist.org/mcy/6049110886.html

bd2f33ed1ebc8cc5056102f817b8cf78.jpg

I would buy it myself if I had room and time to ride it

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Tune-A-Fish© said:

That. Kamn said it and Tuna found a perfect machine for a no cuttting gas and go rider.

Tune-A-Fish© said:

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
Maybe handy to know what can be made of this beauty on a budget ;)
It's a GpZ550 H1 +A4
But still, it shows the same style as the GpZ750
14947rn.jpg

It could be taken back its not too far gone. I have most if not all the parts i.e. Seat, tail, fairing, uncut fenders and 550 tanks are available.

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

Tune-A-Fish© said:
It could be taken back its not too far gone. I have most if not all the parts i.e. Seat, tail, fairing, uncut fenders and 550 tanks are available.

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON
It's not meant to be taken back, and not possible anymore. Grinded and welded frame.

The picture was to show what can be done with customizing the original bike, not vice versa :p

Chopping up a classic superbike and putting half a seat on it is not an improvement. This one deserves to be preserved, not hacked.

slikwilli420 said:
Chopping up a classic superbike and putting half a seat on it is not an improvement. This one deserves to be preserved, not hacked.
Let's agree to disagree then ;) Tastes differ I guess

Back
Top Bottom