Hondazuki XLRM250 Trans-America Hell Ride

Re: XL250 Trans-America Hell Ride

I like this. All except the mention of mountains and 250cc's. XR650R better?
be119cbc774cbe9a3514a8d9c51b8b6b.jpg

redwillissuperman said:
I like this. All except the mention of mountains and 250cc's. XR650R better?
Haha. That's next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

because the front wheel weight bias is too low for one kicked out
it is real simple to derake the steering head, bub
just cut the backbone up under the tank
heat up the downtube carefully and coreectly
pull it in and repair the joint up top,add somre extra stiffness to the entire backbone the backbone subframes junction and where you bent it the downtube and nobody will be the wysir

i have an nikel plated chrome moly atk frame and swingarm just waiting for a thumper build bub

xb33bsa said:
i have an nikel plated chrome moly atk frame and swingarm just waiting for a thumper build bub

Rotax? Ready for this to go down :eek:

Tune-A-Fish said:
Rotax? Ready for this to go down :eek:
i never had the motor for that but i did have a 400 motor in the last iteration of my can am racing
its a very good engine piston port with case reed just like the early rm suzukis

DohcBikes said:
Has the swingarm angle been discussed?
It has. The swingarm angle is at 21°, which is the same or pretty damn close to a stock RM as far as I can figure. If someone has a resource for that information, I'm interested. I know XB says the setup is all wrong, but the numbers are pretty damn close everywhere.

Fork angle 30°/ Trail 5.5in / Wheelbase 62.3" / Ground clearance 13.75" / Swingarm angle 21°

For a dual sport, I don't understand how those numbers won't work.

deviant said:
It has. The swingarm angle is at 21°, which is the same or pretty damn close to a stock RM as far as I can figure. If someone has a resource for that information, I'm interested. I know XB says the setup is all wrong, but the numbers are pretty damn close everywhere.

Fork angle 30°/ Rake 5.5in / Wheelbase 62.3" / Ground clearance 14.3" / Swingarm angle 21°

Fair enough. Throw a chain on it and take a look at it? I'm judging by what I see, not what I read. I wouldn't know the optimal arm angle if you asked me, but I can kinda tell by looking at a bike whether or not it's going to be acceptable. It looks a little extreme from here. Bike looks tall, but that is fine, and the front end looks to be a good starting point if nothing else. The height, and even the swingarm angle, may be deceiving in the pic. I know you have a methodical approach to building so i'm not concerned with whether or not you'll build it right because if it doesn't work you'll just change it.

deviant said:

Fork angle 30°/ Rake Trail 5.5in / Wheelbase 62.3" / Ground clearance 14.3" / Swingarm angle 21°

the chain will mill that corner off the swing arm and even out its own clearance

cxman said:
the chain will mill that corner off the swing arm and even out its own clearance
It has to hit it for that to happen.

sure looks like it will my little

straight line photo thingy makes it look like that to i know you will fix it

or you may have a lot of sag planned into it

cxman said:
sure looks like it will my little

straight line photo thingy makes it look like that to i know you will fix it

or you may have a lot of sag planned into it
When I get everything built for this bike, I'll get sag figured out. But your little straight line photo thingy has no idea where the front sprocket is. I haven't shown a pic for that side yet. My real life straight edge thingy and a chain knows exactly where it is and has it figured out. Also, look at a picture of an RM standing on it's own weight, no rider. It doesn't matter which one. There are hundreds. Show me one where the chain isn't resting on the swing arm pivot.

2001-suzuki-rm125-off-road-com_3.jpg

That photo shows a less severe swingarm angle. It's fine for the chain to rest on the swingarm slider, but at some point you need so much slack for the chain to have enough play when the sprockets are as far apart as they can get in the suspension cycle, that you will end up needing a tensioner. In my opinion having to add a tensioner to a setup that shouldn't need one is a fail.

And again, as you mentioned, we can't even see the cs sprocket. If you say it's fine then it's fine.

And dennnnnn...

The bike you pictured above is a motocross bike. Since you have mentioned 'dual sport' several times, I thought that's what you wanted. Stretching the limits of rideheight and swingarm angle is not conducive to a well mannered dual-sport.

I'm in, whatever the outcome.

DohcBikes said:
Stretching the limits of rideheight and swingarm angle is not conducive to a well mannered dual-sport.
Ha. I totally agree with this.

Next shop session, the plan is to move the top mount up 2 inches. I did measurement for three locations, this being one of them.

Measuring the angle for that bike on the computer screen, it looks to be about 18°. I'm definitely steep. No tensioners will go on this bike. It's not a hardtail.

If you look closely in the last pic you will seee that it has not one but two rollers' static mounted to the frame, one upper and one back and lower.

You don't need to add a tensioner because the thing has two auto tensioners... As the swingarm travels those "tensioners" come in contact (bind) with the chain to prevent too much slack and ALSO to keep the chain "slap" from damaging anything.

Most after market spring loaded tensioners were designed for Trials, not long travel suspension.

I didn't know you were racing Daytona next week :eek:

Back
Top Bottom