Luugo's SL175 Winter Ho-Down

Luugo86

'73 CB350, '78 XS650 Cafe Killer
Hey guys, I've been on here for about 3 years, and have built/worked on a few different bikes that I have owned/sold over the years and finally I am starting my first proper winter project build thread. I was fortunate enough to locate 2 1972 SL175s for a very good price of $140. They are both around 95% complete, and in pretty good shape (The gold one is in slightly better shape as it was stored in a shed while the blue one was outside under a tarp. I believe the engine on the blue one is locked up, but the engine for the gold one is not.
Anyway, here are some photos to start things off, I will hopefully get a day this week to get some good wrench time in.
The goal for this winter is to do a rest-mod build on the gold one and just clean up/get the blue one running. Thanks for checking in!

Attachments

• IMG_2101.JPG
    IMG_2101.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 432
  • IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 438
  • IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 437
  • IMG_2106.JPG
    IMG_2106.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 427
  • IMG_2100.JPG
    IMG_2100.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 408
Cool man. They're fun little bikes. I still have one w a cb/cl motor in it stuffed in the back of my brother in laws garage.

Thanks guys.. Yeah, I'm really excited about these bikes. I've done the cafe and brat build thing; Did a '76 CB500T brat style, and Currently have a '78 XS650 full out cafe bike... I can throw some photos of those up if you guys want... But I'm really excited about these SL bikes and the practicality they will offer. I really dig the direction you went with your XL Deviant.

Just don't let you self be fooled into thinking that they either fast motorcycles, or terribly well suited to either road or dirt. Lol. At least not in stock trim. They are fun, and with some tweaking can be pretty great, but as they came from the factory they aren't exactly... Very good at any one particular thing.

Yeah, I'm definitely tracking on that.. like I said.. I'm just excited about a fun little bike that will offer more practicality and utility than the previous bikes I've worked on/owned. VonYinzer your from PA right? Where are you in PA ? Im in Lancaster county, but often can be found around Harrisburg

I'm about an hour north of Pittsburgh. Other side of the state. I swear, one of these days I'll get off my ass and organize the mid state PA meet up we've been talking about for years lol...

Here are some photos of my other bikes.. The only one that I have still is the '78 XS650.

Attachments

• IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    684.6 KB · Views: 420
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    594.9 KB · Views: 398
Does anyone know a good source for NOS or used parts for SL's? I'm in the market for a SL175 or a CL175 exhaust, a set of carbs, air box covers... and some other miscellaneous parts.

Hey fellas... Does anyone have a link or a digital copy of a manual for my 1972 SL175? I have a CB200T manual, and I know that most of the engine information there will work for the CB175, however, I would really like to have a SL175 manual... If anyone has one that is printable it would be greatly appreciated... Thanks guys!

Hey Deviant, thanks a lot man.. I really appreciate you hooking me up with the manual.. and it's the kickass Shop Manual too, so much better than the clymer if you ask me.. Thanks again man... I should get some good wrench time in on these projects this weekend.. looking forward to it.

Hey Fellas, I know its been a few weeks since the last post... Had a lot going on. Since the last post I was able to score a nice sized garage for a work space, got all of my bikes under one roof, and have started the tear down of my winter build, the '71 SL175. I have a bunch of photos and will be posting them shortly

Photos arent great, but I got the harness out, and pretty much have the frame to a rolling chassis. I dont plan on messing too much more with the frame until I have the spare cashola to get it powdercoated, and to rebuild the forks, respoke the wheels, etc.
As far as the engine goes... I would really like to just rebuild the top end and replace all the oil seals. The piston rings are rusted to the cylinder walls so I know I need some cylinder machine work. I'm having trouble getting the fucking pistons unstuck... I beat on them with a large wooden dowel and a 3lb mini sledge for about an hour and then just decided to go have a glass of whiskey lol... Any tips on that beast will be much appreciated.

There is some other stuff, I'm just not thinking of.. any and all opinions/advice is welcome.. Im not cutting or chopping anything on this... it is more or less going to be a light resto-mod. Thanks again fellas.

Attachments

• IMG_2375.JPG
    IMG_2375.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 349
  • IMG_2412.JPG
    IMG_2412.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 345
  • IMG_2413.JPG
    IMG_2413.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 354
  • IMG_2414.JPG
    IMG_2414.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 332
  • IMG_2415.JPG
    IMG_2415.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 345
  • IMG_2416.JPG
    IMG_2416.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 354
pour a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF in there and let it sit.

they will seperate, but it should work before that happens

Back
Top Bottom