Spoke to cast on a GT250

daxman

Hi All

Hello first time on this forum..

I have been given a 1976 GT250A that is being recommissioned by me on a shoestring. One of the (many) issues are the wheels that have rusted rims and spokes. The rebuild cost will be (too) high and so I've been looking into swapping them with contemporaneous cast items .e.g from a GSX250 of the era. Anyone ever done this or know of others that may fit. Later GT250 X7 cast wheels have different spindle diameter I believe but not the GSXs.

greetings,

I have a 1976 gt250A as well, but im still running the spoke wheels. Either way, remember that most wheels are a bearing change and an internal spacer away from fitting a different axle, but alas, that is usually the easy part. Out front you have to work out rotor diameter and likely have to make different outer spacers to get the wheel centered, and then you have a speedometer drive to work out as well. Out back you may have sprocket alignment issues as well as brakes, like drum vs. disc ect. If you have access to a lathe or some basic equipment, its not to bad, but if you have to farm out machine work it ads up money wise pretty quickly. I don't USUALLY view a wheel swap as a money saving prospect unless you actually do find something that more or less bolts in, or if you can make spacers/ rotor mounts/ caliper mounts ect in house.

Just my two cents, that plus 58 more will get you a senior cup o joe at mc donalds.

Thanks for the reply. Indeed I've been wondering about the implications of swapping such as new spacers - reversed speedo drives etc..
I think on balance it's worth gambling 30 quid (40 US) for a GSX front wheel to start with as they are not so sought after.. I was just curious to see if there was an existing known route rather than tread new ground. If I have any success I'll post again.. Failing that where's the cheapest place for new rims and spokes!? ;)
Cheers

daxman said:
Thanks for the reply. Indeed I've been wondering about the implications of swapping such as new spacers - reversed speedo drives etc..
I think on balance it's worth gambling 30 quid (40 US) for a GSX front wheel to start with as they are not so sought after.. I was just curious to see if there was an existing known route rather than tread new ground. If I have any success I'll post again.. Failing that where's the cheapest place for new rims and spokes!? ;)
Cheers

I looked into cast wheel swaps when I re did my gt250 and didn't come up with much, but remember, just because someone hasn't done it, doesn't mean it cant be done. You may well be the guy to "pioneer" it and be able to answer the question for the next guy.

Ive used the Taiwanese spoke sets before on other projects and never had them fail, but some people don't like them. You can get a set for $55 u.s. plus postage on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-GT250-K-L-M-A-B-C-FRONT-REAR-SPOKE-72PCS-A/262234692882?hash=item3d0e67dd12:g:myUAAOSwHaBWk1Cr:rk:6:pf:0

As far as the rims go, you can lace all manner of rim to it, so long as its an 18" 36 spoke and the spoke angles are fairly close. I have a set of alloy shouldered 18's sitting there waiting to go on my gt whenever I get back to it. MikesXS sells new shouldered rims pretty reasonably if you decide to go that route. Either way, wheel building isn't always the cheapest parts of a project, but it is a major component of the bike. Tinker with what you can while saving money and do it in chunks if you have to.

If you need any help on your project, let me know. There Isn't a single bolt on a gt250A that I haven't turned ;) Also, remember that the non ram air gt250's like you have take a really bastard size crank bearing and seal on one side. They have a few little quarks to them compared to the earlier ram air models.

Many thanks for the advice so far and your offer. I'm sure they'll be few more Qs to come yet!
Cheers

James

Back
Top Bottom