XS650 Cafe - Build #4

I have some free time at work today, so I thought I talk about some of my future plans.
The next step is to add some cross bracing to the new frame section, and the additional swingarm mounts on the two frame uprights. I'm still thinking about my plan for bracing, as always flex is an issue. I also have a plan for strengthening the backbone as it will now also take some stress from the mono shock.
Then I'll tackle the mono shock. I think that I am going to add a tubular support "hoop" to the swingarm to add strength and a mounting point for the shock. I am really trying to make everything as strong as possible, but keep weight down. So, I am going to try and keep it as minimalist as possible.

Thanks for following.

How refreshing. Someone actually using math and calculating what will be necessary to "upgrade" the suspension and addressing the stresses placed on the frame while doing so. We need more of these threads, keep up the good work.

captain awesome said:
How refreshing. Someone actually using math and calculating what will be necessary to "upgrade" the suspension and addressing the stresses placed on the frame while doing so. We need more of these threads, keep up the good work.

Thanks man, I'm trying. I'm trying to learn as much as I can as I go. I've spent as much time reading as I have getting my hands dirty, I hope it all works out in the end!

I managed to get the rear support tube bent up today. Only took two tries...grrr. But here is a quick mockup. The swingarm is not at the correct angle because the tire hits the frame jig. When the swingarm is correctly angled down the shock fits into place. I'll hopefully have it welded up tomorrow.

I got the swingarm all welded up today, and checked the fitment of the shock with the swingarm closer to the correct unsprung position. Everything seems to be good. Next step is making the tabs to mount the shock.

Very nice welds. Interesting build.

An observation, if you are so inclined: You could substantially increase the swing arms rigidity to vertical plane deflections by, instead of the single connecting tube from the upper bracket to the swing arm, using two that connect from the intended shock mount to near the ends of the pivots. Incidental improvements can be had by avoiding the bends in the upper hoop where it contacts the rear of the arm as well.

Might I suggest sintered bronze (oiled) bushings instead of needles? Far less chance of needle damage...

VERY nice build. ACTUAL build.

treitz said:
So awesome. Keep it up!

Thanks!

grandpaul said:
Might I suggest sintered bronze (oiled) bushings instead of needles? Far less chance of needle damage...

VERY nice build. ACTUAL build.

Thank you!
I am still deciding between the bearings or bronze bushings. As you know, both have pros/cons. The bearings are pretty cheap so I ordered some. But, some bronze bushings are easy enough to turn down on the lathe so I still may decide to go that route...

RR100 said:
Very nice welds. Interesting build.

An observation, if you are so inclined: You could substantially increase the swing arms rigidity to vertical plane deflections by, instead of the single connecting tube from the upper bracket to the swing arm, using two that connect from the intended shock mount to near the ends of the pivots. Incidental improvements can be had by avoiding the bends in the upper hoop where it contacts the rear of the arm as well.

Thanks.

Good points. The bends at the end of the hoop are purely aesthetic, it's easy to see how a straight connection would transmit stress in more of a straight line to the shock mount. But, I don't think those bends will make much difference if any because of the material I used.

I have plans of adding additional bracing with some smaller diameter tubing, but I'm holding off for now. It is difficult because of how quickly the weight is adding up. It is easy to find places that could benefit from additional bracing, but finding a balance between rigidity and weight is tough. I got some good tips about the flex I'll have to deal with from Kevin Dunworth of loaded gun customs who recently built a mono xs ... It's something I'll definitely have to think on. I may even end up with a new swingarm.

Good eye, please keep the feedback coming. Sometimes it's easy for me to overlook details.

Subscribed!
(Here are some of my rambling thoughts and compliments)

Nice work! Clean welds. Good fab work! Nice workshop.
Which miller tig is that in the background?
Nice table. I welded one almost exactly like yours about 7 years ago and it's still going strong. Have you seen those stronghand tools weld tables. I wish I had the dosh for one of those.

I just got Tony Foales book. Did you see his suspension program? Might come in handy if you plan on doing this professionally.

I'm bracing an xs750 frame and used solidworks to run some finite element analyses on the frame. Took a huge amount of time to set up but it was very fun and interesting seeing how additional braces affected different parts of the frame.

Plan on bracing my swingarm. Would love to read more about your work! Especially the jig.
I'll need a tubing bender and I'd love to get the JD squared one. More $$$.

Great job so far. briefly looked at your #3 build. To be able to sell one and say you turned a modest profit is pretty impressive.

jcw said:
Subscribed!
(Here are some of my rambling thoughts and compliments)

Nice work! Clean welds. Good fab work! Nice workshop.
Which miller tig is that in the background?
Nice table. I welded one almost exactly like yours about 7 years ago and it's still going strong. Have you seen those stronghand tools weld tables. I wish I had the dosh for one of those.

I just got Tony Foales book. Did you see his suspension program? Might come in handy if you plan on doing this professionally.

I'm bracing an xs750 frame and used solidworks to run some finite element analyses on the frame. Took a huge amount of time to set up but it was very fun and interesting seeing how additional braces affected different parts of the frame.

Plan on bracing my swingarm. Would love to read more about your work! Especially the jig.
I'll need a tubing bender and I'd love to get the JD squared one. More $$$.

Great job so far. briefly looked at your #3 build. To be able to sell one and say you turned a modest profit is pretty impressive.

Thanks man!

That's a Miller Diversion 180. Great basic TIG welder, I love it. I have access to a dynasty but I never need to use it, the diversion does all I really need. I have one of those strong hand tables, beyond welding I use it for all kinds of things!

I've gone thru Tony Foale's book, it's great. I also have Race Tech's Suspension Bible by Paul Thede, I would highly recommend it. It's also a bit of an easier read.

I wish I knew how to use solid works. I'll learn someday, your definitely ahead of the curve.

I use the JD Squared model 3 and it's awesome. The bender is affordable, it's the die sets that get ya!

Building for a profit is difficult to say the least. For me it is all about fabricating as much as I can, and doing all of the work myself. Buying parts saves time, but eats up profit. I currently don't track my hours very closely, but my hourly profit is terrible. But, as I learn I become more efficient.

Thanks for following!

I have heard that THE book to get is John Bradley's The Racing Motorcycle. There are two volumes but the second one seems to be unobtainable.

jcw said:
I have heard that THE book to get is John Bradley's The Racing Motorcycle. There are two volumes but the second one seems to be unobtainable.

I've heard of that title, but that's it. I'll have to check it out. Volume 1 at least...

Back
Top Bottom