XV920 Doc Chops VS Kott

dakota.morgan91

Hey guys, I bought a XV920 and want to join the ever growing cafe community. I have always loved this style, and want to add my own thumb print to the world. I didnt realize how popular the XV was with this before I bought and kinda wish I went CB750 or triumph bonneville now lol, but that just gives a excuse for a new project later! ;) I want my bike to be a healthy mix between Doc chops XV920 and Kott motorcycles red and silver Norley.

I am going add photos soon of the current progress. Still learning to navigate lol :p

The Bike when I bought it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 307
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 307
So the new Gaskets for the engine arrive tonight, and the frame is ready to be painted. Also in the mean time I will be prepping the engine bits for their paint or polishing! I will post as the project progresses. Looking forward to hearing from everyone! :)

Welcome to the forum! Lots of smart guys on here. Great place for advice.

Planning on building a XV this winter myself. They do seam ridiculously popular right now.

Nice! I will have to watch for your project. I got the frame almost done, and the engine is waiting for some soda blasting. So I really want this bike to be unique, but dont want to stray to far from the doc chops set up, because there are so many people who have done it, and endless rescourses for that build. My next bike will be wild and free! lol ::)

Hey thats pretty clever. How long should a seat be for 2up? I'm gonna shop for some attractive unmodified ones first. this will be my plan B I think.

Hard to accommodate two up with a cafe seat unless you go with a cowl route like what andrew posted.

Length of a two up seat sort of depends on how big you both are, how comfortable you want to be, and how you want the bike to look. For reference, the dime city brat seats are 24" long: http://www.dimecitycycles.com/black-dcc-originals-flat-leather-wrapped-brat-style-motorcycle-seat.html

You could either

A) buy something pre-made and build your subframe to match.

Or

B) build your subframe to the length / look / feel you want and build a custom seat pan for it.

Your passenger may also appreciate a bump up in the back of the frame as a little bit of a bum stop. I know my wife doesn't appreciate the feeling of only tire behind her.. especially when hitting bumps at 120 kph and she gets a little air (don't worry she stayed on).

Cheers

My R1100S came with a seat cowl like that from the factory. I never use it. I like the idea of one that houses a small storage space, though. The seat on that black CB looks great with the cover in place. I'm excited to see what you come up with.

Hey guys so now I REALLY need some opinion, on..... drum roll please, Headlights! Really want some modern flair added to this retro look, so I 100% want a projector set up, but am torn between three setups.

#1 a 7 inch round with projectors inside, then I would put the rock gaurd over it.

#2 a streetfighter headlight look, but I would replace the halogen lamps with projecter housings

#3 a twin side by side look

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 607
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 614
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 611
Ofcourse you guys side with the most expensive one! :'( Ive been staring at them for a while and im kinda feeling #1 aswell, but #2 gives it that modern KTM feel and conversational quirkyness, and #3 Ive seen on a select few bikes that just looks great

Back
Top Bottom