'71 Suzuki TS250 tracker - mock up

Re: '71 Suzuki TS250 tracker

Hah, awesome. Yeah, I'm kind of curious to see how this little 2-stroke does compared to the painfully slow cb200...

Good info about the GS's, I'll have to look into that.

Apologies for the lack of updates. All bike stuff was stalled for the past month, but I'm making progress now. I decided to keep the reddish/faux gator skin seat. It's just way too...awesome. With that, I made a tracker-inspired cowl, as opposed to a whole seat. The glass work's done, I just need to fill some low spots and paint it.

I also rebuilt the forks: cleaned the innards and gave them fresh 10wt oil. While they were apart, I found that the left one is indeed not bent, like I had thought. I'll assume the tweaking is in the triple clamps. It should be easy enough to tweak them back roughly straight. (Hey, don't judge, this thing doesn't need to be a precision machine!) That being said, I now have two wrong forks from a blatantly idiotic ebay seller who first sent me the wrong year fork, then tried to remedy it with sending the right year, but wrong side fork. ::) Oh well, don't need them anyway!

You'll recall that the previous owner told me it wasn't running because of a "blown seal". I haven't found any evidence of this yet. I did pull the head and the combustion chamber, piston, and cylinder look great. There does seem to be a slight leak from the base gasket, so I have a new one on the way. Otherwise the engine seems sound. No other leaks, clicks through the gears nicely... I'm pretty sure it wasn't running due to the massively gummed-up carb!

I'll be picking up a slide hammer from Tyler today to pull the dent in the tank. Once that's done, I'll prep for paint. My brother would like to do a Rainier beer theme. White tins, red and gold accents. Sounds doable.

bradj said:
. A tm jug head and pipe would make that thing crazy and it all bolts on. Ill look if you want i may have carb, chamber and porting spec to copy suzukis race 250 from 71

Brad J what year TM exhaust will bolt right up to the TS250? Is that from the TM400 model?

I'd love to know as I'm doing a TS250 build too. But mines a 74.... You can shoot me a message too, not looking to hijack the thread lol.

Ringo said:
Apologies for the lack of updates. All bike stuff was stalled for the past month, but I'm making progress now. I decided to keep the reddish/faux gator skin seat. It's just way too...awesome. With that, I made a tracker-inspired cowl, as opposed to a whole seat. The glass work's done, I just need to fill some low spots and paint it.

Ok Ringo, this threads like 4 months old... we need to see some progress! ;D

Sweet we're both building the same style bike. You decide to go with the stock forks?

Haha, yeah I've been bad about updating it. Progress has happened though. The frame's been cleaned and painted gloss black. The body work is about ready for primer, seat cowl's finished. The forks were straightened. The top end of the motor was put back together with a new base gasket and the original copper head gasket, freshly annealed. Tires (Shinko 241s) will be ordered soon. Levers and perches got a polishing. Left to do is sort the wiring, paint the tins, and create a couple number plates. Getting close, pics soon!

MotoPhotog said:
Ok Ringo, this threads like 4 months old... we need to see some progress! ;D

Sweet we're both building the same style bike. You decide to go with the stock forks?

I did end up keeping the stock forks; after a little exam, they're in better shape than I first thought. I'm not sure how the front end was so tweaked, when I put it back together, it was perfect! Go figure...

Ringo said:
I did end up keeping the stock forks; after a little exam, they're in better shape than I first thought. I'm not sure how the front end was so tweaked, when I put it back together, it was perfect! Go figure...

That sounds great! I'd love to roll with the stock forks... but I dont know what wheel I'd use? I'm trying to find a front end setup that will work, unfortunately almost no bikes are out there with 34mm forks. So I've been looking for an entire 70's front end. forks/triple/front wheel setup. Even though I'd rather not pay for that.

suggestions?

Do you not have the front wheel? Sorry if I missed it. I'd try and source one; I'd imagine it would be cheaper than trying to track down an entire front end.

I do, but the front is a 21" front... Looking to downsize to an 18 or 17"

Are you just going to stick with the 21" front?

My front is actually a 19. I'd personally prefer a 21 just for the added off-road benefit. Hell, I'd offer to trade you, but I know for certain that the hubs aren't a direct swap.

Alright, I've got some pics finally. I've been neglecting this thread a little, as this is more of a 'freshening-up' than a full on build. Buuuut, here's a mock-up of where the bike stands now.

Just got the new rubber mounted.
250mock.jpg

The stencils for the Suzuki logos ended up taking off paint with them, so I'm having some vinyl logos made instead. Failed logo paint:
250mock2.jpg

Tyler's slide hammer worked wonders on the tank. The dented side was able to be pulled out no sweat, and with thankfully little filler to smooth it over. I'll have to make a slide hammer for future shop use. Here's the before tank pic, to save you the trouble of sifting through previous pages:
250tank.jpg

Since I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the horribly ugly yet completely awesome seat, I made a tracker-style cowl for it. Simple stuff, but I think it turned out fine for this bike:
250mock3.jpg

As stated earlier, we took inspiration from Rainier beer for the paint. As I was laying down the pinstripes, I realized the paint was a dead ringer for Iron Man. ::)

The engine is about done, number plates still need to be installed, and the exhaust repainted. That's about it off the top of my head.

I forgot to mention that there is no clear on the paint yet, if anyone was wondering. It'll be urethane though, no worries.

That paint looks great already man! And it'll only get better with a quality clear over top.......

Thanks Rich! The red on the tank had some pretty bad orange peel, so there's going to be a fair bit of sanding/buffing in my future.

Back
Top Bottom