'71 CB100/125 (the un scooter)

45exmayor

Been Around the Block
Last year as I was approaching 70 I was no longer able to take the longer rides on my Monster that I so enjoyed (am developing some arthritis in both hands) so I decided to sell the Duc and build something for errands and short rides on the back roads. I found this on local CL

A non runner with a clear title and the 100 and a complete SL 125 motor. Spent the fall disassembling the 125 and found a failed bronze bush in the idler gear. Cleaned everything well bagged and labeled things and made lists of what needed to be ordered. The goal is to end up with a bike that looks nice and is fun.

We leave Wisconsin for the winter and when we returned we realized the house had been burglarized and among the things taken were the bikes wheels. They had been redone but the po so I was really pissed. I found replacements on eBay took them apart and took them to my media blaster, ordered alloy rims new tires and a friend is in the process of building them now.
The same guy did a rear hoop. New electronic box and seat base. The seat will be something like this tank and fenders will be Mini Cooper pepper white and the frame will be satin black.
Most of the parts for the rebuild have arrived. It will be bored 50 over with new valves in the head. I'll start the bottom end assembly next week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    997.8 KB · Views: 523
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    967.5 KB · Views: 537
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 518
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,869
Welcome to DTT !

Stinks to hear about the robbery. Sounds like your back on track now. Keep the pics coming!

Gotcha "bookmarked"

This weekends project is to sort out the wiring. I tore the old harness out and started over. Got a rectifier regulator from SparckMoto. Picked up some small turn indicators that use ba9 bulbs and changed them to 6v led's from super bright. Did the same conversion on the tail light from Dime City. Changed all,the lights in the speedo to led except the turn indicator light. The flasher didn't work with all led's but with the stock ba9 there was a enough currant draw to fire it off.
Pam using all stainless Allen bolts from bolt depot great selection and fair prices (be sure to make complete lists since the freight can be as much as the order)

After a couple of trial and error attempts I decided on some Renthal ultra low superbike bars cut down to 26 in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    766.9 KB · Views: 497
http://hondacg125.awardspace.com/how_to_increase_engine_size.htm
http://www.kaila.net/tl125/tl125bigbore.html
just in case you run outta ideas

this is what the 125 looked like when I opened it up. It was surprisingly clean inside. no sludge or shavings.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 481
  • IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    714.1 KB · Views: 478
Found a running '76 cb125s motor on CL this morning. Owner took it out to convert frame to an electric bike. seems real solid.
Also got these two tanks that are available. both are amazingly clean inside. red one has a couple of small dents in top.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 1,688
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 1,672
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 1,695
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,668
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,673
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,666
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,675
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,658
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 1,698
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,661
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,675
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,646
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,651
Holy cow bud, I would like to bolt a 125 into the 100 Im workin on now.

Thats cool.

trek97 said:
Holy cow bud, I would like to bolt a 125 into the 100 Im workin on now.

Thats cool.

You and me both...........hell, I'd just like to hear the one I have run once.

Pulled the old 100 out of the frame and put the new 125 in so I could drop the oil. Pulled both side covers to check inside. The alternator side was amazingly clean and the clutch side had very little material in it. Pulled the oil filter apart, gave it a good cleaning and a new gasket and closed it up. The covers will go to the parts blaster then get painted. Took the time to fit all of the stainless Allen screws into both sides, now just need to change the case bolts. The clutch looks to be in really good shape so I will leave it alone for now.
I got the wiring harness with the new motor so I will cut it apart and have all the material I need for the rewire.
Found a guy that can upholster the seat so the pan will go off to him tomorrow. Found a couple of ideas I like. The shape of the black one but with the rolled top of the brown one and finished in brown.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,558
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 413
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,622
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,668
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,515
Found some foot pegs in the bottom of the toolbox that were spares from a pair of rear sets I ran on the monster for a while then sold on. Went over to my friends house and we cut the step bar where the old rubber peg covers ended. Taped in allen bolts to use as mounting studs and he welded them in. All that is needed now are some thin jamb nuts to keep them from turning on the studs.
Got all of the old case Phillips screws out (some were really corroded in place.). Coated the new stainless Allen screws with anti seize and torqued them in.

I had new seals on the shelf so changed the ones for the front sprocket and shifter. Will put the new one for the kick start shaft in after the right side cover is soda blasted

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,995
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,996
Man, im excited to see how you finish up! Im working on my lil CB100 right now. Hopefully finishing my front end swap this weekend. I have been chipping away little by little. Got it registered, got it fired up and now its time for the fun and taking the bike apart. Good luck! I will be following!

travisvisual said:
Man, im excited to see how you finish up! Im working on my lil CB100 right now. Hopefully finishing my front end swap this weekend. I have been chipping away little by little. Got it registered, got it fired up and now its time for the fun and taking the bike apart. Good luck! I will be following!

Do you have a build thread? Or, at least, pictures?

Another batch of parts off to the parts blaster. When they are all painted the frame is the last thing to go. I am hoping to start assembly in two weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,631
budlite282 said:
Do you have a build thread? Or, at least, pictures?

No not yet, I have photos though. Maybe I will start one. Its going to be a longer process, just taking my time with it.

Good day here after some wet ones so I was able to get some of the covers for the motor painted. Also found a good source for metric seals on ebay (link) http://stores.ebay.com/Ultimate-Industrial-Solutions/Seals-and-O-rings-/_i.html?_fsub=9951969018&_sid=715393798&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
I needed the seal for the points housing it was here in 4 days.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 842
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 838
45exmayor said:
Found a running '76 cb125s motor on CL this morning. Owner took it out to convert frame to an electric bike. seems real solid.
Also got these two tanks that are available. both are amazingly clean inside. red one has a couple of small dents in top.

Do you still have these two tanks?

Will they fit a CB100 frame?

How much you looking to get?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Good looking paint job too.

I may tear mine back down and paint it some day. Right now, just want get it running first.

Back
Top Bottom