1978 KZ650, I have no idea what I'm doing.

SquirrelCannon

I'm just a dude
Hello everyone, my name is Tyler. Just yesterday I FINALLY bought a bike and boy is it a gem. Not really, but it definitely has potential. Original plans were to find a cb750, or even a 550, but it is just impossible to find one in decent shape for my budget, which was only $1000. I eventually broadened my search to every Jap bike from the '70's. I had my heart set on an xs750, but just Friday I found this kz and decided to snag it instead.

The good: It is titled, frame is 99% rust free, engine has great compression and did run not too long ago, has brand new wheels and tires, brand new head and wheels bearings, new seals, new shocks in package, new (to the bike) gauges, new headlight assembly, double disc up front, single disc in rear, and countless other extra and new parts in a box I like like to call the box-o-crap.

The bad: No wiring harness, no gas tank, and the seat is meh.

All in all, I am VERY happy with my purchase. The PO had planned on building a cafe as well, so he's already done a lot of the work I would have needed to do anyway. I got the bike and the box of parts all for $800.

Plans: Don't really know, just kind of going to let the bike build itself. Some things I really like is bare metal, specifically aluminum, low, sleek, simple. I will be converting to electronic ignition just to make life easier. This is my first bike, so I want it to be a good experience. One thing is for certain though, I will be running the Firestone Deluxe Champion tires. They just look absolutely perfect on every bike I've seen.

Anyway, enough talking. On to the pictures.

The bike as is sits.

Double discs ft. new wheels and tires.

The exhaust, which I like, but I'm sure will be ridiculously loud since it's 4-1 and under the bike.

Gauges and ugly dirt bike handlebars.

New shocks.

Other crap that I need to go through.

the fire stone tires are for show only they are dangerous for any kind of riding beyond going slow in a straight line on clean dry pavement.just a really shit tire
do you know how to ride a motorcycle ?how much experience you have?
keep the handlebars the way they are get the bike up and running and put a few thousand miles on it before you ruin it making a build

Ditto! Fix the bike as if you were going to restore it to stock. Move all of the cosmetic stuff to the back burner. Go through the brakes and at least replace the fluid. If the lines are original, they need to go for the sake of safety. The original brake lines had a life expectancy of less than five years! Unless you really know what you're doing, and you indicated you don't, your shocks should be stock length. Rebuild the forks. They can be improved, but rebuilt stock is far better than worn out. Find a stock wiring harness and wire it up. Get it all working. Once you have a safe operating machine, you can worry about the cosmetic stuff. There's no sense in worrying about a seat on a bike that doesn't run. It's just throwing good money after bad. Get it so it goes and stops!

luckily the kz650 is the best choce out of all the bikes that you were considering it is faster and better handling than the hondas it is a bit heavy but i love those green wheels ! the kz6650 is a perferct candidate for a early 80's aka elr superbike look alike
the 4 into one pipe is fine you just need the mid pipe and muffler, you can't run it open like that
and just thank dog you dint get that yamaha 750 triple it is one of the worst pos bikes ever made

xb33bsa said:
the fire stone tires are for show only they are dangerous for any kind of riding beyond going slow in a straight line on clean dry pavement.just a really shit tire
do you know how to ride a motorcycle ?how much experience you have?
keep the handlebars the way they are get the bike up and running and put a few thousand miles on it before you ruin it making a build

Thanks for the advice on the tires, I hadn't looked into reviews on them, I just think they're pretty lol. And I used to ride dirt bikes, but it has been quite awhile. Don't even have my motorcycle license yet.

xb33bsa said:
luckily the kz650 is the best choce out of all the bikes that you were considering it is faster and better handling than the hondas it is a bit heavy but i love those green wheels ! the kz6650 is a perferct candidate for a early 80's aka elr superbike look alike
the 4 into one pipe is fine you just need the mid pipe and muffler, you can't run it open like that
and just thank dog you dint get that yamaha 750 triple it is one of the worst pos bikes ever made

Yeah, the green wheels are growing on me actually. And since they have new tires, they aren't going anywhere for awhile.

And don't get me wrong guys, first order of business is to get it running. First grabbing a harness, probably from sparck moto, then a gas tank (hopefully I can find a decent used one for the time being), then putting all the bits on that it needs that are in the box-o-crap. The seat I have now can be used, so I might as well. And let's be honest, I don't have enough money to start buying pretty things yet haha. By the way, does anyone know anything about those shocks?

SquirrelCannon said:
By the way, does anyone know anything about those shocks?

IMHO, the most important thing for you to know about them is if they are the correct stock length. If not, learn what they are so you can price them.

When you get to making this thing perform, you'll want to put correct spring rates on for you, not generic springs. FWIW, a decent pair of shocks provided by someone with the brain power to get you correct spring rates will set you back in the $500 neighborhood.

sounds like you will do fine ;) having a backround in dirt riding gives you a huge advantage to anybody that has never ridin dirt ,even experienved street riders can learn invaluable skills by riding dirt,skills you cannot learn on pavement alone..get that thing running the riding season has alraedy started

xb33bsa said:
sounds like you will do fine ;) having a backround in dirt riding gives you a huge advantage to anybody that has never ridin dirt ,even experienved street riders can learn invaluable skills by riding dirt,skills you cannot learn on pavement alone..get that thing running the riding season has alraedy started
Indeed. There is a reason GP riders ride dirt for training.

jetmechmarty said:
IMHO, the most important thing for you to know about them is if they are the correct stock length. If not, learn what they are so you can price them.

When you get to making this thing perform, you'll want to put correct spring rates on for you, not generic springs. FWIW, a decent pair of shocks provided by someone with the brain power to get you correct spring rates will set you back in the $500 neighborhood.

I believe the PO said they were lower. While I might end up lowering the bike at some point, it's not what I need now. I'll try to look up pricing and depending on how much they're worth I might sell them or keep them.

And I know all about shock pricing. I came from the jeep world where even my decent shocks were $1200 for all 4. This bike will be getting quality, but also budget friendly parts.

SquirrelCannon said:
This bike will be getting quality, but also budget friendly parts.

That's how I roll!

Where you live, you won't want to wreck handling with lower shocks. There are just too many great roads. You'll be needing a canyon carver!

jetmechmarty said:
That's how I roll!

Where you live, you won't want to wreck handling with lower shocks. There are just too many great roads. You'll be needing a canyon carver!

That's what I'm thinking as well.

Did a little tinkering on the bike today. Mostly getting familiar with it, but also took apart the handle bars and everything around there. I had planned on getting new handlebars eventually since I didn't like the look of these, but then I had the idea of just flipping them and it actually looks pretty good and cafe-ish.

that is trying to force a look :(

THIS
is the best direction to go a big kz in my hoe

normal_Eddie_Lawson-1981.jpg

82-eddie-lawson

Eh it's more of me just trying to make what I have work for the time being and putsing around in the garage.

That does look really good. I can't wait until I'm experienced enough with the bike to ride some wheelies haha.

We will see where the build takes me. For now it's just getting it running an driving safely and reliably. Hopefully with this next paycheck I can buy a harness and maybe a tank. Next weekend I will work on going through all of the parts I have and putting them where they belong.

Go have a look around KZrider.com

Plus a million with what's mentioned above. Hit the crucial fluid filled systems first, and ride it for a bit. You'll be more motivated to finish the bike up once you develop a fondness for riding it first.

82-eddie-lawson

Now if those bars were down lower that the top of the tank he would be looking at the gauges instead of the road/track... build it like this and then make the changes if at all when you have some miles on like a lo of miles.

I would be happy to buy the box with the Brembo "junk" in it so you can get a front tire??? 8)

That look is quickly growing on me.

How many of you have had luck sourcing parts from scrapyards? While it'd be ideal to just get a new tank, it may not fit the budget as of right now. I also checked CL for part outs but nothing.

Build a race rep with close match paint and graphics and you will draw applause from grandpa to grandson mang... the Law son never dies.

903091134230272.jpg

Racing when you could not get enough track time.

sbk1981eddielawsonsuperbiker19.jpg

Back
Top Bottom