1978 KZ650, I have no idea what I'm doing.

SquirrelCannon said:
That look is quickly growing on me.

How many of you have had luck sourcing parts from scrapyards? While it'd be ideal to just get a new tank, it may not fit the budget as of right now. I also checked CL for part outs but nothing.

i have rescqued a lot of bikes from the scrapyard ;) try posting a wanted ad on cl
to get the bike running and test ride you could lash a lwnmower tank on the thing dont panic about finding the exact correct tank this second or let it stop you from working on/tuning the bike is what im saying

I use an IV tank purpose built for the tune stage... eBay is your friend... when buying stuff only.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Motorcycle-Shop-Auxiliary-Gas-Fuel-Tank-Tool-/330951168425?hash=item4d0e3a11a9&item=330951168425&vxp=mtr

;D
ABC wide world of sports made for television "superbikers" racing :) this is where super motard got it's roots

sbk1981eddielawsonsuperbiker19.jpg

superbikers_ward.jpg

1985kx500sm.jpg

Absolutely! one of my friends as a kids dad was the guy who crashed the bike on the beginning of the WWOS agony of defeat... watched every week it came on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2AZH4FeGsc

i am proud to say i had a small part in building this machine that privateer John Woo took to 4th place in the AMA national superbike race at sears point beating a hord of factory iron... wayne rainey won that race ,you mite have heard of him
thats the chinaman on the right and a picture at speed negotiationg the carousel at sears ......John was an ex motocrosser that i used to race and trail ride with ....... coming thru that turn in perticular he had the bike loose as a goose you could hardly watch !! :)
tragically John was killed later that year at laguna in a private test for HRC :'(
woo.jpg

Attachments

• John_Woo_Kawasaki.jpg
    John_Woo_Kawasaki.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 827
The tank definitely isn't stopping me from making progress. I've already contacted Sparck about and harness and should be ordering one within the week.

Just another fine example:

Attachments

• 1723479_707669529310820_4365875466034556849_n.jpg
    1723479_707669529310820_4365875466034556849_n.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 203
Cant remember, but that KZ is supercharged and the two piece wheels are feathers comparatively

I'm not sure if I mention this or not, but my dad will be building this bike with me. And we have decided to take the engine out of the frame for a couple of reason. There's low compression on one of the cylinders, going to rebuild the carbs with the new pods the PO was kind enough to provide, changing fluids, go through the brakes, and probably other things. I also want to go through the entire frame and get rid of rust. It's probably 85%-90% rust free, but I want it 100% rust free. I don't want to have to deal with it later on. It just seems to make more sense that we separate the two and tackle two jobs at once.

Yesir! do it right, two things ;D

1) look around on how to pull the motor, most are easiest by laying on the side and this is one of those... triangle mounts on the right (shifter) side are removed and the frame is removed from the motor while (I use a wood 4X4 square and a 12" Honda car tire) all laying on the right side, going back in takes some doing so you don't scratch the frame or motor so when you pull it make some mental notes of touch points or even have a roll of blue tape (body mask) and put a piece everywhere it comes in contact on the way out then take pictures... seems crazy but well worth it when you have a nice shiny painted frame and motor.

2) "PODS" I won't read you the riot act, but pods require extensive tuning adjustment for everything you make a change to in regards to power increases, carb mods and exhaust mods... do the research and don't use a K&N just because it cost more thinking it must be better... the UNI pods work equally as well and neither work like a stock air box with factory designed plastic velocity tubes/stacks and good aftermarket filter.

A few hours reading or even watching youtubes can make life a lot easier, all of this has been done and documented to help others from making repeated mistakes... Father Son builds are way cool man.

Reading up on everything as we speak :) luckily my dad as lots of experience with carbs and has everything we need. He used to have a 1978 650SR so it's safe to say he's excited I got this, haha.

Thanks for all of your help so far. This forum has lots of knowledgable and very friendly people. A few other forums I checked out (won't mention names) had some pretty nasty people.

Cool... I have my moments of disdain :-\

3) yeah a third "requirement" imo is to build a stand so you can spin the motor, $40-50 bucks, 20 minutes fab and weld and you have the best, most accessible stand going. I made a t-bar to go from lower mount to the stand for case splitting also.

103383-090515080535-9701577.jpeg

Been doing some research on the shocks and they're staying...for now. Apparently the internals are cheap Chinese crap but they ride ok. Some Ohlins sure sound nice down the road ;D

Got some work done today for Father's Day :) We were able to take the bits off the frame and the frame off the engine. Luckily, almost all of the bolts were loose and none of them gave us trouble (HOW?!) so we got lucky.

Got a couple questions though.
What do you guys use for frame paint? I may just do rust touch up and respray the entire thing instead of sanding ALL of it.
What do you guys use to clean the outside of the engine? I was thinking a wire brush and maybe simple green?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canyoncarver said:
I dig the green mags.

I'm liking them as well. Thinking about how I can make them work without them standing out too much though. Green tank might be too much. Might paint the white on the wheels the same color as whatever I paint the tank, was thinking about a graphite of sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom