1979 CB750F Tracker (maybe?)

Looking great. I like the trimmed down cowl. It might look more racey with some holes drilled in the discs

irk miller said:
You might want to check how you're running that rear shock. In stock trim, the CBR shock runs at a significantly smaller angle, which is going to make your setup act totally differently. There's also the possibly of binding which will could bend or break the shaft. I'd like to think it won't be that extreme, but I've witnessed it happen to another guy riding in front of me.

You're right. The shock is just propped up on some wood in the photos. There will definitely be a lot of trial an error once I start tacking things together.

jordandogtown said:
Tip: squint your eyes and take a few steps back and it's not so bad :D

When I worked at Oak Ridge, we had researcher (PHD Atomic Physicist) that would press his temple against the door frame, squint while looking at a graph of data on the computer and say "look at those peaks!" Ok, maybe particle accelerator references don't translate here.

I dig where it's going. Might consider blacking out some of the odd tank bottom to allow it to blend with the seat lines.

Looking ace.

Maybe consider blending the stock side panel from tank to seat unit for a streamlined look. Even consider using it to attach a racing number oval plate which will act as a cover plate for battery/electrics etc. Used one on mine to good effect.

Color scheme is good. Agree with others that transition from swoopy tank to flat seat needs some creative thought. Getting there.

How high is the seat now or will it come down more? Now's a good time to measure it.

Great build. Hooked! I will remind you what other have told me, don’t forget to calculate trail. I have the calculator in my build link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jordandogtown said:
First step was to get the bike running back in stock fashion. The bike would start, idle, and drive fine up to 5,000 RPM. "All it needs is a battery" said the PO.... A few minutes spent with the shop manual and a multi-meter revealed, as often, that wasn't the case.

I found a used stator that tested good, and ended up buying a new rotor.

After dropping those in, the bike was now charging but still not revving above 5k. I was told the carbs were just cleaned, which looked to be true based on an outside inspection, but finally decided to check those after the electrical was sorted. Turns out the PO removed the small accelerator pump altogether and the carbs were starving at high RPMs.

This being my second CB, I'm all to familiar with the CV woes. I decided to skip a few steps and ditch the stock carbs altogether and spring for a set of CR31s pre jetted from DCC. I've sold some woodworking commissions and whatever junk I could find around the shop and am this -----| |------ close to having enough cash to pull the trigger (if any of you knuckleheads tell my wife how much they cost we are both going to be in some trouble).

Good choice on the CR carbs. I got rid of the CV carbs on my CB900F and put on CRs.

Too bad you got them from DCC. Dynoman sells them for about $200 cheaper and sets them up too. I told him I was running a 4-1 exhaust and whatever else, and he jetted them properly.

Attachments

• IMG_5040.JPG
    IMG_5040.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 272
teazer said:
Color scheme is good. Agree with others that transition from swoopy tank to flat seat needs some creative thought. Getting there.

How high is the seat now or will it come down more? Now's a good time to measure it.

The subframe is (/will be) the same height as the brace under the passenger seat in stock trim. I'm just taking out the 3-4" dip where the driver sits. Trying to make the subframe parallel to the ground like the SOHCs

VintageMBike said:
Good choice on the CR carbs. I got rid of the CV carbs on my CB900F and put on CRs.

Too bad you got them from DCC. Dynoman sells them for about $200 cheaper and sets them up too. I told him I was running a 4-1 exhaust and whatever else, and he jetted them properly.

I actually ended up getting them from Dynoman as well (on your recommendation I think). I went with the 2 extra sets of jets and still saved about $100. Great service and quick turnaround. Thanks again!

NoRiders said:
Looking ace.

Maybe consider blending the stock side panel from tank to seat unit for a streamlined look. Even consider using it to attach a racing number oval plate which will act as a cover plate for battery/electrics etc. Used one on mine to good effect.

Using the side panels is a great idea I hadn't thought of. I'm going to stuff the battery under the tank so any electronics tray would be minimal. I'm hoping to be use the massive cowl for some of it as well.

Once I've got a strong/safe roller I'll start on making it look like something

Any one interested in another low quality Paint hack job?

With NoRiders' mention of modding the original side covers I couldn't help but experiment a little. I took some stock photos and played around for a few minutes. Nothing is ever final, but I like where the idea is heading

106817-110219093446-49531107.jpeg

I have got to stop thinking about paint and start welding... :-[

I'm digging that. What if the sidecovers became a part of the seat itself? Maybe bring the bottom most line up a couple inches, and eliminate the red/blue line along the bottom of the seat where it separates the sidecover and fairing?

advCo said:
I'm digging that. What if the sidecovers became a part of the seat itself? Maybe bring the bottom most line up a couple inches, and eliminate the red/blue line along the bottom of the seat where it separates the sidecover and fairing?

+1 this:
1732-110219095952.jpeg

x2 to everything. I was actually just working on blending the side cover and seat together as well. I like the way you guys think.

And anything to help cover my excuse of welding will be nice

Or go with something inspired by the 1100R's

It would need to be modified to work with that seat and smaller covers, but might work.

Attachments

• CB900a.JPG
    CB900a.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 260
I love it. I'm definitely taking a lot of inspiration from the 1100Rs.

I may even experiment with some fiberglass and join the side panels and seat pan together like some of the airtech units.

106817-120219102325.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom