1980 CB750C * Phase 1 Complete *

Re: 1980 CB750C Budget bob build *side covers almost made

Hoosier Daddy said:
Any thoughts on how you're going to retain them?

Still working that out, they may only be temporary until i can get another battery box made. I plan on painting them black so i may just use some black hose clamps around the frame, shouldn't be very noticeable.

Re: 1980 CB750C Budget bob build *side covers almost made

I gave my side covers a few coats of black rattle can paint today, while letting them dry i decided to go ahead a bleed my front brake. I few weeks ago i had disconnected the brake line at the master when installing new bars and re-routing cables etc, which turned out to be a bad idea. Upon trying to bleed the brake my master cylinder decided to crap its pants, it will not build any pressure whatsoever, even with the link unhooked it will only drool out a small bit of fluid. I am not really that upset since i wanted to run a more modern master/lever combo on the new bars i have and the original was pretty haggard.

Here what I ordered along with a few other bits.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-caferacer-cafe-racer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-brake-parts-aluminum-universal-hydraulic-front-brake-master-cylinder-perch-lever-kit-717-601.html

Re: 1980 CB750C Budget bob build

Finally got around to installing my new 530 chain and sprockets today. One step closer to riding 8)

In the picture posted above you can see a patch of bondo, can anyone guess what's under it :-\? A shitty dent.

The shitty dent got bigger the more i stripped the massive amount of bondo, looks like i need to start stripping the original tank.

I got back out in the shop today, i was working straight night shifts for the last while so i didn't have much motivation. I got the original tank stripped and prepped, now adding clearcoat. I've read alot of opinions about clearing bare metal and that it will possibly still rust after a while, which i'm ok with, i will just strip and clear it again or give it a full paint job. But for now it will stay as is.

madd750 said:
I got back out in the shop today, i was working straight night shifts for the last while so i didn't have much motivation. I got the original tank stripped and prepped, now adding clearcoat. I've read alot of opinions about clearing bare metal and that it will possibly still rust after a while, which i'm ok with, i will just strip and clear it again or give it a full paint job. But for now it will stay as is.

Looks mean!

Re: 1980 CB750C *Nothing Special, but it's in the special section budget bob build *

So today i finished clear coating the tank. Once it was dry i couldn't wait any longer i had to put the bike together to see what it looked like. I also packed my exhaust which quieted it down nicely, and i mounted the temporary side covers. Next step is to make a tail light/plate bracket and paint the exhaust black. I have a dilema, i either want the covers to be bar aluminum and leave the fenders stainless or leave the covers black and paint the fenders black. Any opinions?

Re: 1980 CB750C *Nothing Special, but it's in the special section budget bob build *

Also a major step is taking it for a shakedown run once i get my gaiters and front brake master from DCC!

I finally received my much needed parts from DCC today, it took 3 weeks which is about 1.5 weeks too long. It was no fault of DCC, the package must have been help up at customs. Anyway here's what i got.

717-601-vintage-caferacer-cafe-racer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-brake-parts-aluminum-universal-hydraulic-front-brake-master-cylinder-perch-lever-kit-4_2.jpg

pm716-1001-vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-suspension-parts-honda-cb-metric-fork-gaiters-rubbers-boots-1.jpg

Now i may be able to take this damn bike for a ride

Master cylinder is on, brakes are bled and they are tight, tight and tight 8)

Attempted my first shake down run and it went well for 2.5 km. After that my chain decided to fall off. I will blame my self for the problem, i believe i made a rookie mistake and put the clip on the mater link facing the wrong way. So the master fetched up and bent and popped off. So now i need a new master link, but thankfully i was only in first gear going slow and the chain simply slid off, i have seen chains come off at very high rpms at the race track and it can be ugly.

You sure got lucky there.

Glad you and the bike are both ok!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

True statement, if that would have happened at higher speeds.... DAY-UM

I should have a new master link tomorrow so i will try another test ride before i head to work. Again i will ride it slow because you never know what can happen. A friend of mine had a close call with a chain breaking on is sportbike while we were hitting some twisty roads at close to ton speeds, he was also lucky and only had a few scuffs on his tail fairing, but we did have to wait for CAA for an hour ;)

On a side note, the first part of the ride was great, it was my first time riding with an open face helmet and i felt as if i was doing something bad wearing it, it's a very different sensation compared to full face and i like it :)

Round 2 for shake down run went very well. I put on a new master link today (correctly :eek:) and then took the bike up the block and back twice had it up to 80 kph smoothly and had no issues. Next step tomorrow is registration and then a longer ride this weekend. 8)

Back
Top Bottom