CB360 - Clean and simple

Leak down tester is on it's way and should be here by the weekend.

In the mean time I did some playing around on the lathe

kX0C6nC.jpg

5kadYES.jpg

xen2wnh.jpg

Leak tester came today
vO7KrEk.jpg

Torqued the head down
Az2ZgUU.jpg

Checked the left cylinder
v5wZYuI.jpg

Looks good
fpjQp93.jpg

Right (scratched) cylinder :(
X8y7Sjr.jpg

However a lot of air was blasting out of the intake port so I thought maybe I had another bent valve or something

Pulled it all back apart to check the valve
IXw0CUp.jpg

The valve and seat both looked fine and not bent. Wiped everything clean and put it all back together.

Checked the right side again
FHLdiAW.jpg

Success!
fsaDCtl.jpg

Must have just had something between the valve and seat?

So the numbers are ~10-11% loss on the left side and ~11-12% loss on the right (scratched) side. Keeping in mind I did these checks at bottom dead center, I'd say they are very acceptable and the scratch is going to be a non-issue.

Also cleaned up the spark plug threads when I had the head back off
kiLaVg4.jpg

The best way to test for leaky valves is to fill the chambers with isopropyl alcohol and look for seepage. There should be none. A little wetting of the edges of the valve is okay (not ideal), but no drip should be seen. And a leak down test is supposed to be done at TDC. That's where compression is important.

irk miller said:
The best way to test for leaky valves is to fill the chambers with isopropyl alcohol and look for seepage. There should be none. A little wetting of the edges of the valve is okay (not ideal), but no drip should be seen. And a leak down test is supposed to be done at TDC. That's where compression is important.

Interesting, does it matter what grade of isopropyl alcohol you use?

Agreed that the leak down test is supposed to be at TDC but since I scratched the cylinder and it only goes half way up, but is visible at bottom BDC, I wanted to check to see if there was any significant blow-by when it was involved. Then of course I checked the other cylinder at BDC to have an accurate comparison. Plus I don't have the cam in yet so the valves weren't open regardless and trying to do the leak down test at anything other than BDC would have resulted in ending up at BDC very shortly after applying pressure.

I don't think it matters much. I use 90% Isopropyl, but some people use denatured because it lacks water. Others use acetone.

Turned some custom mounts for the rear lights

(left is after, right is before)
KOH24qB.jpg

Wires fit
dszPmRm.jpg

Light fits
Fn3vuGL.jpg

Bolt fits
sk9A2YJ.jpg

How it looks in the mount so far (will be welded)
4nj8R6E.jpg

8kwQZBG.jpg

Glamour shot
SJ4eSx6.jpg

Nice job on the lathe fix! Curious if you feel that the lathe is still worth it after using it for a bit. Did you look at the cost of finding a used lathe? (oh and the bike project is rad too!)

cardinal said:
Nice job on the lathe fix! Curious if you feel that the lathe is still worth it after using it for a bit. Did you look at the cost of finding a used lathe? (oh and the bike project is rad too!)

Thanks!

I looked into used lathes but they were either outside of my price range or outside of my size range.... I think this cheap one is a pretty decent foundation as long as your willing to invest a bit more time and money (mostly time) into it once you get it. The motor mount definitely needed work and overall it pretty much needs to be completely disassembled and reassembled as soon as you get it to make sure everything that should have grease has it and all the bolts are tight (a surprising amount of them were not even finger tight on mine)

The real test will be trying to turn a new 4130 axle 8)

This handle unscrews when using it, and is a little hard to grip...
AaVl6uU.jpg

So I made this one to replace it:
jOJvUhU.jpg

It has a bushing (which I also made) to let it spin without loosing the screw:
dhDQjN4.jpg

bdmoErh.jpg

Fits extra nice:
m3aWAoV.jpg

izSczNs.jpg

16IL1DS.jpg

Anyway, makes the lathe nicer to use and gave me some practice creating knurled pieces (handle bar grips? foot pegs? who knows? :D ::) )
1kqzhh4.jpg

The biggest issue with the cheaper Chinese lathes is usually the way the ways are designed and made.

Setting up for the biggest mini lathe project yet (and finally a motorcycle part ;) ).

Turning the 3D printed prototype brake rotor adapter into the real thing.

qzLoNcX.jpg

Welp... it's been a while. Finally built the GSXR rotor to CB360 wheel adapter.

W0ZVlAK.jpg

1d2UBBR.jpg

WoN2FXx.jpg

0XsGzmZ.jpg

LGpfjSD.jpg

5LVzkpX.jpg

DXC5Vht.jpg

qtWLyG7.jpg

OmGAExr.jpg

Looks like it's going to work out nicely 8)

I think the whole thing weighs less than the original rotor too.

irk miller said:
The best way to test for leaky valves is to fill the chambers with isopropyl alcohol and look for seepage. There should be none. A little wetting of the edges of the valve is okay (not ideal), but no drip should be seen.

The 'correct' way to do it is fill port not chamber. Filling chamber really doesn't show anything other than major leak, having head 'on end' and filling port shows even the slightest weep around valve. I use acetone, if it doesn't leak, you know it's 'good' ;)

Nice work on the brake adaptor

crazypj said:
The 'correct' way to do it is fill port not chamber. Filling chamber really doesn't show anything other than major leak, having head 'on end' and filling port shows even the slightest weep around valve. I use acetone, if it doesn't leak, you know it's 'good' ;)

Nice work on the brake adaptor

Do you think this needs to be done in addition to the leak test? or is that just a good way to do it if you don't have a leak tester?

If you have the head off it's the correct way to check valves for sealing.
A leakdown tester is used before stripping motor to give customers an estimate or pinpoint where head is leaking. (intake/ exhaust valves, gasket or piston rings
For a DIY'er leakdown doesn't really matter so much as your either going to take it apart to fix or 'offload' to someone else. About the only time it's handy is when you know there is a problem but motor still runs, gives an idea if it HAS to come apart or could wait another month or two ;)

For those interested in seeing the making of the brake adapter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao-hYbdC8GQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D3vHYRjm-w

Hi! Found your thread via Youtube as I was googling stuff about making adaptors for a GSXR forkswap. Don't now if you finished the bike or not, but would like to know if that kind of spacer worked for you?

Awesome build!

Back
Top Bottom