1980 SR250 - Gravel and Backroads Runner

Interceptor - Thanks man!

On another note... it's so satisfying to take oxidized, crummy looking parts and make them look shiny and new again. I spent some time cleaning up the fork lowers with the wire wheel, polishing compound (on a cloth wheel) and then hand buffing with polish. It takes a while, but turn on the tunes, crack a beer and let your mind drift away and before you know it, you have results. The first picture is one fork leg without any cleaning beside one that has just seen the wire wheel. The second picture is one that is polished up beside one that has been wire wheeled:

Hopefully I can get the second one complete tonight.

Slow and steady wins the race as they say... but I guess that's the program with 2 young kids. Pick away at small tasks whenever there is an hour or 2 to spare!

I finished cleaning up the fork lowers and then reassembled and mounted them up. I also received the tires I ordered and mounted the front last night. I returned the rear I had originally selected because it was way too small, but replaced it with a much wider less aggressive type. The front is a 18x3.00 Shinko 244 and the rear I have on the way is a Bridgestone TW40 120/90-16. It turns out the stock rim sizes don't work out very well for selection of dualsport tires - however these should do the trick.

I've also been experimenting with a number plate up front and below is the first version. I'm reasonably happy with the overall look, but will make a second version and reduce the cut-away around the headlight. The final product will probably have a black background decal just leaving a white edge and outline.

Here is a photo of the front end pieced together...

Finally got my rear tire mounted up! I ended up with a Bridgestone Trailwing:

Also put the engine back in (temporarily) so I could start mocking up the exhaust. I Picked up a shorty muffler from DCC with a upswept connector. I've got some fine tuning to do with adaptors and clamps so the final position of the muffler will be a few inches further back and swept up a couple more inches.

Looking great. I noticed your shocks look a little taller. Do you mind me asking what length you went with? The stockers on mine don't give it much clearance.

magazine said:
Looking great. I noticed your shocks look a little taller. Do you mind me asking what length you went with? The stockers on mine don't give it much clearance.

Good eye! Those are some old shocks I had laying around from a '78 KZ650B. They are wildly over-sprung for the weight of the bike + rider, but serve the purpose to get the stance the way I want. They are 13" eye-to-eye.

Hey just wanted to let you know I picked up a 82 sr250 and this build has been very helpful so far. I'll definitely be asking you questions as I go along. Thanks again and congrats on all that progress you made.

Dparker045 said:
Hey just wanted to let you know I picked up a 82 sr250 and this build has been very helpful so far. I'll definitely be asking you questions as I go along. Thanks again and congrats on all that progress you made.

Thanks a lot Dparker045! Congrats on the purchase and I look forward to watching your build. Do you have a thread going?

It's been a very long and cold winter here so progress stopped for a few months. I was able to get back at it last weekend with a bunch of electrical work. It was really nice to get some work done and get re-motivated!

Take care.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Wow. It's been 5 months since my last update... it was a tough winter here and no heat in the garage means no progress on the bike.

Things have warmed up and I got reacquainted with my bike over the weekend. I layed the wiring harness out and made a bunch connectors. Pictures below show the wiring tray, battery box, ignition switch and the headlight bucket. The rear end is wired up but the front needs work. Everything is just mocked up at the moment but generally in the final position.

c81b1523c670ed3aaa86d3cf18ffe226.jpg
2d806555ee7f757345a667478ea00da9.jpg
e73846dfa7eb0905e4fee8e012959a4e.jpg

I'm struggling with what rear fender I want to use. Either a cropped version of the stock rear fender or the Jadus fender that was intended for the front.

If I use the stocker on the rear I'll use the Jadus fender up front. If I go with the Jadus on the rear I'm not sure what I'll use up front....

I'm hoping the DTT community can help me decide! Cast your vote now!

94a8f9e9f6e941ebcdedcfacaf06bd91.jpg

fa55224f9fda2342e010bfed3f5bf695.jpg

5fbd1283d99d498f7c2c77e6e21b57bd.jpg

42a8f77d795bae473b97b35ed6922168.jpg

6100544219ef5d0c67bde1b7004ccc71.jpg

8ffad506a723d8d78b123e1a8dcf557c.jpg

ridesolo said:
The second one pictured gets my vote.

Thanks ridesolo! I asked a few guys in my neighbourhood and they have the same opinion.

I realized after looking at the pics that the wheel and fender look skewed... they will line up correctly when I'm done; right now the wheel is not bolted up and the fender only has one bolt holding it on until I decide.

I think usually the rear fender can look ok with a modded SR, but because of your cool new tail loop, it looses the flow. But then it works really well with the Jadus fender ;) I guess for up front you could trim the stock one? I made a video of that and it actually looks pretty cool. Nice progress btw!

Given the 2 options, I also like the re-purposed OEM rear fender better. The difficulty you may be having is that most custom builds mount the rear fender at or very near to the new tail loop. Because your loop is fairly high, you could use it for a passenger grip but it just looks too high for a rear fender mount. Maybe working on the seat first will help you decide on a rear fender.

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
I think usually the rear fender can look ok with a modded SR, but because of your cool new tail loop, it looses the flow. But then it works really well with the Jadus fender ;) I guess for up front you could trim the stock one? I made a video of that and it actually looks pretty cool. Nice progress btw!

Thanks Jadus! I will look in to the stock front fender and see what I can come up with. I'm not sure it will work with your fork brace tho?!?

zap2504 said:
Given the 2 options, I also like the re-purposed OEM rear fender better. The difficulty you may be having is that most custom builds mount the rear fender at or very near to the new tail loop. Because your loop is fairly high, you could use it for a passenger grip but it just looks too high for a rear fender mount. Maybe working on the seat first will help you decide on a rear fender.

Hi Zap. Your comments on the high loop are valid. I've been putting off the seat, but you're probably right... it's going to drive the look of the bike and will probably shape my decision. To complicate things, I have a couple of tail light options as well. I'm hoping to achieve a look similar (seat and high loop) to this SR250 that The Bike Shed did....

crd6.jpg

I appreciate the feedback/ comments!

Yep - they used the rear loop as a passenger grab handle. If this is what you want, go for it! Just remember that the loop is a grab handle so the fender has to be below it. If you are going to have an open center triangle you may want to go with a full-size rear fender (vs the OEM) and rotate it downward in the front to shield the engine/intakes from more gunk while still having a "bobbed" look. The OEM had a plastic fender half in front of the chrome to do that but would not look that good if exposed. Maybe a different, older bike with similar rear wheel size?

I was able to get a few more things done this afternoon...

Modified and installed KTM pegs... I'm quite stoked they fit will minimal effort:

c192069809cfd4deb3b142c6d7e5daca.jpg

A bit more wiring completed and installed front signals:

eee5feacf366369d7c7e277958a5cdbe.jpg

9697e8ae7e231cd325db7ced73e3715f.jpg

5ae07ecba5e12a6b31890bb5f1fe0790.jpg

A few more updates to share... things are moving along now and won't be too long before I can take it for a test spin.

I was able to get it started and jetted the idle circuit so it now starts and idles well!

I've mounted the front fender, rear tail light and license plate bracket in their permanent locations. Installed the mini speedo and shortened all the cables.
The exhaust is now in its final location and just awaiting a stud/tab to be welded on.

Next tasks are to install chain and side case and replace rear tube and of course built a seat.

dc94d50f1c6b0996cc5cb2b97c8758a8.jpg
7415080de874d68c4c9cdfdc29025c48.jpg
1c4d91b0a3a884c66ef3bc8f21355336.jpg

Back
Top Bottom