'81 CX500...Round 2?

wow. that tank is awesome. I would never have thought polished steel could look that good. I've used Glisten on polished aluminium and it's holding up well. It's a bit fiddly to use tho'.

Bike is looking really hot.

cheers
ian

Re: '81 CX500...project 'shiny tank'

This is what he said Miob.

GoBears0305 said:
I've been lagging...but here's an update for posterity sake.
I botched the POR15 a long time ago, and finally had to bite the bullet and send it to get chemical dipped to get that stuff out. Came back nice and clean inside and out, so I got started on REALLY polishing the tank...about 30% done, then clear it (with this POR15 GlistenPC product...supposed to be able to stick to polished metals).
IMG_0038.JPG

What are you coating the radiator with? Looks sooo much better like that than stock!

MikeT307 said:
This is what he said Miob.

What are you coating the radiator with? Looks sooo much better like that than stock!

crap that reminds me I have to finish polishing the radiator too...both the tank and the radiator will be coated with Glisten PC by POR15.
GPC_GlistenPC_300.jpg

It's SUPPOSED to stick to polished metal, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Will you coat the fins with that too or just the outer frame of the radiator? I looks amazing and I hope it works out for you!

MikeT307 said:
Will you coat the fins with that too or just the outer frame of the radiator? I looks amazing and I hope it works out for you!

The fins will get a light coat of black high temp paint to freshen it up...not too thick so it doesn't affect the cooling function of the fins. Only polished portion of the radiator will get coated with GlistenPC.

Nice CX man, Great work, Especially without having a garage! I;m lucky enough to have an uncle that has a garage and let me buy my cx and work on it over there. That front end look great too, I swapped mine for a 2005 Triumph Bonneville from my uncles bike. Keep up the good work!

Nice build, what you gonna do for the tank badge areas> I thought about polishing mine affter I striped it , I saw this killer cx cafe on the choppercharles website with a polished out one but I ended up painting . You could always do custom tank badges , be glad to help if interested. Check this cx build out , bout her for 200$ sold right at 2000$ , HIGH FIVE~!
cafe build_0001.wmv
S1050923.AVI

CUNNINGHAMMER said:
Nice CX man, Great work, Especially without having a garage! I;m lucky enough to have an uncle that has a garage and let me buy my cx and work on it over there. That front end look great too, I swapped mine for a 2005 Triumph Bonneville from my uncles bike. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! It definitely wasn't easy not having a garage. I fortunately am able to work in a garage now during the final stage of this build.

78whiteorbs said:
Nice build, what you gonna do for the tank badge areas> I thought about polishing mine affter I striped it , I saw this killer cx cafe on the choppercharles website with a polished out one but I ended up painting . You could always do custom tank badges , be glad to help if interested. Check this cx build out , bout her for 200$ sold right at 2000$ , HIGH FIVE~!

WOW! that's a nice chunk of change you made there! I'm anticipating keeping mine for a loooooooong time, seeing as how this will be my first COMPLETE build (i've had a couple projects, one of which ended up as a box of parts...but was still able to sell at a profit!!!)

I've thought about using a couple vintage Honda belt buckles, but the biggest i've seen are only 3" across (whereas the badge area is about 5")
like this:
140.jpg

or this:
140.jpg

Go Bears, great job on the CX. How are you planning on shifting and braking? Any plans for rearsets? I read the entire thread and wondered about the battery box causing a problem with the shifter lever? I've made some rear sets for my CX they're posted over at Chopper Charles I'm making up six sets. Keep up the good work, fun isn't it!
Cheers, 50gary

50gary said:
Go Bears, great job on the CX. How are you planning on shifting and braking? Any plans for rearsets? I read the entire thread and wondered about the battery box causing a problem with the shifter lever? I've made some rear sets for my CX they're posted over at Chopper Charles I'm making up six sets. Keep up the good work, fun isn't it!
Cheers, 50gary

I'm just using the stock foot peg mounts but switching the left to right and vice-versa. It bring the pegs back about 3 inches. If you look close enough in the most current picture, you can see the brake side foot peg and mount.
I then flipped the shift lever "upside down" which also bring it back a couple inches. The brake lever will have to be shortened and welded back together. I'll have to take better pictures.
And as far as clearing the battery box...there's actually about a few millimeters between the battery box and the shift lever, so it will shift just fine. Here's an old picture showing the clearance:
DSC_0851.JPG

50gary said:
Cheers, 50gary

You can kinda see in this pic how I did the foot pegs (that's the stock left-side peg and mount, but installed on the right side):
IMG_0006.JPG

Go Bears, your cafe is looking great, I have to admit I'm going to go with stock pipes and EMGO shorties because I saw how good they look on your bike. And befor I saw your build I was going to base me color scheme off of the Moto Guzzi V7 cafe racer (black, red, and silver with a polished tank) but you beat me with the polished tank haha. Now I have to step it up with my color scheme. I think I'm going to stick to stock type honda tank emblems, but have custom wings pinstriped coming off of the logos. I thought about using some of the stock honda wing emblems but I think there would be problems with trying to make the emblem fit the shape of tank. Keep up the good work, glad to hear you have a place to work now, it's definitely helpful.

CUNNINGHAMMER said:
Go Bears, your cafe is looking great, I have to admit I'm going to go with stock pipes and EMGO shorties because I saw how good they look on your bike. And befor I saw your build I was going to base me color scheme off of the Moto Guzzi V7 cafe racer (black, red, and silver with a polished tank) but you beat me with the polished tank haha. Now I have to step it up with my color scheme. I think I'm going to stick to stock type honda tank emblems, but have custom wings pinstriped coming off of the logos. I thought about using some of the stock honda wing emblems but I think there would be problems with trying to make the emblem fit the shape of tank. Keep up the good work, glad to hear you have a place to work now, it's definitely helpful.

Thanks. I've been following your build and look forward to seeing the outcome.
My exhaust is a 2-1 setup (MAC 2-1, with a single EMGO shorty welded on). I've never fired up the bike yet to hear how it sounds, but I'm getting close! And the polished tanks took hours and hours with the palm sander and several different grits (all the way to 2000 grit I think)...but now i can see myself!!! It's funny when people ask if I chromed the tank.

Go Bears (playing the Lions this week) I should know but what is the number of those K&N air fliters. See how the internet makes one lazy I could look it up but it's easier to ask and rack up another post.
Cheers, 50gary

Really cool tank polish job... I have a spare tank sitting in the basement and am considering going down this road!
So you just stripped it, polished it and por15'd it? Thats it?
You can see my tank in my build, it has side covers and rubbers but the spare is currently red and I wanted to get it to a nice lusterous shine... I may go down the road of trying your technique.
Keep up the cool work, im a fan of the build! Its looking good!

-Slice

GoBears0305 said:
I've been lagging...but here's an update for posterity sake.
I botched the POR15 a long time ago, and finally had to bite the bullet and send it to get chemical dipped to get that stuff out. Came back nice and clean inside and out, so I got started on REALLY polishing the tank...about 30% done, then clear it (with this POR15 GlistenPC product...supposed to be able to stick to polished metals).
IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

Getting some fresh air...
IMG_0006.JPG

50gary said:
Go Bears (playing the Lions this week) I should know but what is the number of those K&N air fliters. See how the internet makes one lazy I could look it up but it's easier to ask and rack up another post.
Cheers, 50gary

haha...i do the same thing and just ask the question instead of digging through the internet to find it. but i actually can't remember the model number. i just know that it's "54mm inside diameter, tapered, oval, black rubber, with offset flange"
but here's the link to the various sizes http://www.knfilters.com/search/UnivOvalTap.aspx

Back
Top Bottom