BSA ZB32 Goldstar

I wired a basic set of lights - including the under slung side light up front. I wired a head lamp for main and dip and a tail light- I also wired a separate brake light at the back(reason to be explained).
I had got an original 1950 head lamp unit- which has the small underslung side light (same as a daimler dart wing light) - the things we find out when building old bikes!.
The reflector was poor - so I cleaned it up as far as possible - still crap.
The glass head light lens is not really a lens and does not have any serious focus.
So I had a damaged head light from and old moto guzzi, which had a modern H4 bulb holder- I cut the guzzi reflector and glued it onto the back of the BSA reflector, just enoguht to create a H4 bulb holder (the glue is silicon based and is removeable)
I then got a reproduction tail light as per the old M20 type- the one that arrived initially was particularly poor quality and after an attempt to do something with it, to make it presentable- I threw it there and ordered a differnt supplier's version - it arrived and was excellent quality.
I now had to make a rear number plate holder and light bracket- I did this out of aluminium plate for the number plate and some light stanless steel for the bracket and retaining strap.
It took me 4 hours to make a brake light switch bracket - so that it would be adjustable if I moved the wheel for chain adjustment.
After wiring the bike I fitted LEDs to all fittings - main head light, underslung side light, tail light and I got a 'rubbolite' truck LED fitting for a brake light - see photo

Attachments

• Hand made number plate and all brackets- do ye like the light.JPG
    Hand made number plate and all brackets- do ye like the light.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 1,381
  • ZB32 002.JPG
    ZB32 002.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,391
  • BSA350ZB 002.JPG
    BSA350ZB 002.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 1,355
It's not finished yet.
Will try ot give a full side on - on Saturday and maybe a vid of the enigne running

Sorry, I didn't get to do any work on the bike over the week end- I promised a mate that I would help with his boat engine and I forgot about it.
I will get to do -something tonight and see if I can start it tomorrow.
I nearly have it finished except for :-
1. Battery cover - I am going to try and adjsut a Bantam cover to suit
2. Speedo - I will have to make a cable adapter to suit the thread on the indian clock.
3. Speedo Bracket- I will have to make a different bracket to hold the speedo
4. Oil leaks- even without the engine running- it's leaking from the chain case and I think,- the gearbox shaft outputs
5. Cable route to the rear lights- I will make up a tube for the wiring

Attachments

• Nearly finished.JPG
    Nearly finished.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 1,089
swan said:
LOL!

Davidc, congratulations on your Goldie! She is beautiful and I love the early styles just as much as the DBD's. The frame and motor numbers were not matched with they left the factory, but they should be from the same year.

Please start a build thread. let me know if I can help in any way (parts, sources, information, links etc) I'll be watching your progress and post full sized pictures as often as humanly possible....

Swan, The original log book I got with the bike has matching numbers - but are incorrectly filled out, that is : -
The bike registration mumber is listed as a 1950 bike - frame 2632-S519
Engine : ZB32G- 5219 350cc
BSA - colour : Chrome
This is followed by a letter to the English motor tax dept - explaining that the original hand written descriton of the frame number (2632-S519) should be ZB32GS- 219 - ie Goldstar!
So I have a frame number that matches the log book, an engine that is a 1950 goldstar -but does not match the log book- these things happened alot in England as the goldies were competition bikes for the most part.

The modern V5 certificate of registration(which I also have), agrees with this anomoly and has listed the frame number as ZB32S519 and the correct engine number ZB32GS ....
I also have a letter from the BSA goldstar owners club from 2003, this listes the current frame and current engine as a goldstar 350
I have a copy of the certificate of performace for the engine which shows that it was despatched in trials trim-
All of which looks correct for the bike - but it still doesn't have matching numbers
Does this affect both the monetary value and the actuality of the bike?

I'd say that for the purists, the restore that I have done would be unacceptable, - for me, it's the best I can do with limited time and money and with a non-matching bike.
With a lot of purists - I put it up to them - where were you when these bike needed a full concourse restoration?
They only come out of the woodwork when someone tries to prevent an old bike going to scrap.

Thanks for all the interest to date guys.

Well folks, I cheated a bit and spent the day working on the bike instead of working for money.
The list is nearly finished as far as I am going and I managed to get it started.
I attached a vid ( I think), it genuinely started after 3 or 4 kicks! after 20 years
The carb is a 26mm concentric AMAL, the spec on the bike in 1950 said it left the factory with a 1" AMAL (trials trim) - so I think that's close enough. I lifted the needle to the top groove.
I started it with choke and no throttle after tiddling- I was able to turn the choke off after a couple of minutes.
Great sound off the pipe!

Will try to load opn some shots and maybe the vid separately

Bye for now
David C- IReland

Attachments

• 350 Goldstar nearly there 001.JPG
    350 Goldstar nearly there 001.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 980
  • 350 Goldstar nearly there 002.JPG
    350 Goldstar nearly there 002.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 949
  • 350 Goldstar nearly there 003.JPG
    350 Goldstar nearly there 003.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 1,017
More pics of 350 goldie

Attachments

• 350 Goldstar nearly there 007.JPG
    350 Goldstar nearly there 007.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 1,099
  • 350 Goldstar nearly there 006.JPG
    350 Goldstar nearly there 006.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 1,147
  • 350 Goldstar nearly there 005.JPG
    350 Goldstar nearly there 005.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 1,085
  • 350 Goldstar nearly there 004.JPG
    350 Goldstar nearly there 004.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 1,081
And more pics

Can anyone advise on how to load the video, the size of the file seems too big to load on to the website.

Attachments

• 350 Goldstar nearly there 007.JPG
    350 Goldstar nearly there 007.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 1,116
  • 350 Goldstar nearly there 008.JPG
    350 Goldstar nearly there 008.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 1,190
Unable to load a video- but I promise it started after a few kicks and sounds great- so to compromise - a before and after shot attached

Attachments

• 350 Goldstar nearly there 001.JPG
    350 Goldstar nearly there 001.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 1,198
  • Goldstar2.jpg
    Goldstar2.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,011
Looks great! Better you have it running, then have it languish in a garage somewhere.

I like how it isn't perfectly done, with the non repainted front fender. Kinda reminds me of a well kept unrestored bike, which are way cooler in my opinion than the perfect restorations.

POst the Vid to Youtube or another host then copy the link into the reply box and it should imbed. Nice Job.

One of the nicest sounds in the world. Great work, thanks for sharing!

swan said:
One of the nicest sounds in the world. Great work, thanks for sharing!

Thanks Swan,
I was doing all of this on my own so, I wasn't able to record a vid of the first trip around the block.
After the enigne had heated up, I went around the block at the workshop a few times- there's a fantastic twitter on the over-run which amazed me. I thought that the early pipes like mine didn't have the 'goldie over-run'.
This is after lying up for at least 20 years and with a new open pipe.
Wait til your DBD fires up!

On another front, there is a rattle when hot at the top end -possibly tappets and an oil leak from the many casings on the top of the rocker box.
So I'll have to pull it down again- old bikes huh!

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement.

I will continue with the restoration as far as I can- I got a bantam battery cover - but it is a bit small and doesn't look right- even with modification.
I will keep looking for a cover and see what I can find.
If I have any more dough, I will convert the drive to a belt- but I think I might have to send the enigne to Phil Pearson first.

All advice and criticism is appreciated

David C

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 1,824
Back
Top Bottom