1977 KZ 400 CV carb rejet for Pods

elbes14

I have stock carbs (CV's)on my 77 KZ 400, they are at stock jetting right now. I'm planning on running pods and removing the air box, as well as trashing the stock mufflers and running megaphones.

Here's the link to the mufflers:

(http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-exhaust-parts-17-inch-reverse-cone-megaphone-muffler-80-84030.html)

Where would I start for a rejet???

*Thread Bump* I'm definitely interested as well. Going to be running either stacks or pods on my carbs as well as a shorty exhaust on my '77 KZ400.

Does it have Kei-Hin carbs or Mikuni's?
Pretty sure the Kei-Hin are similar to CB360 carbs, and need the same work

it has CV Keihns I was told I'll have trouble jetting due to the fact the diaphram carbs are finiky

They are almost the same as CB360 carbs, but smaller (I think 32mm compared to 34mm?)
Haven't actually been inside any to see if there are differences though
They may be the same and respond to same modifications, but, I've found a 0.002" difference has a major effect in mid-range circuits.

There are two different types of carbs on the KZ400's, and I think certain '77 models had the newer design...All are made by Keihin- same as the Hondas of the era, however not really "the same".
But the older ones are 36mm, and use an aluminum piston as opposed to the rubber diaphragms. It also uses a single main jet (of a pretty large size, like 140-150 range) Then you have the newer 32mm's- they go back in time, so to speak by using the Honda-style diaphragm (rubber). They also use a primary and secondary main jet system.
Anyhow, I have a '75 with the old carbs on it. They are about as easy to get parts for as a '37 Bugatti. Just finding the stock jets is hard enough, optional sizes...good luck. There is not much adjustment you can get out of them either.
I lack experience with the later model carbs, but I think the jet sizes are CLOSER to the old Hondas. I also think they are easier to get rebuild kits and jets for, but don't quote me. My favorite thing to do is to go on bikebandit.com, or similar parts fiche site, and look up the parts for each machine in question to see if they interchange.
So on a final note- yes, please expect it to be hard to tune these things in for pods and pipes. Might it be easy? Yes.
But then again, you may never be able to get it to run right. That's why so many guys switch to a single carb setup or a set of Mikuni carbs on these bikes- it doesn't necessarily make it easier, but it's much more feasable because you have an array of jets etc. available to you...

awesome thanks for the info guys, I's feeling i'm going to try to track same Mikuni VM 32's from my research they seem to be the carb of choice. May wait to see how my bike runs on the open road with the pods it seems to idle like a dream but running may be a total different story. I dont want to running lean either, not feeling like popping a motor.

Yeah, if you have your heart set on ditching that air box and stock exhaust that just may be your best bet. I've been wanting to put a set of Mikunis on my KZ400, but just have too many other bike-related projects going on to plunk down the cash. I have spent hours trying to get mine to run happily with the stock carbs, and it hasn't happened. The usual suspects- foam pod filters and shorty mufflers. Go check out the armbell KZ400 forum- there is a wealth of info on it. And one last thing, in my honest opinion you would probably be better off with the VM30's- the round slide carbs flow much better than CV's do, and you don't need them to be as large.
Take care and good luck!

Ahhhh I've heard someone else suggest the 30's as well they said the same i'd get more out of a smaller carb. Would I need new boots off the engine to compensate for the smaller carb? I know dime city has 30's for like 90$ a piece not a bad price to lose the big headache of making the bike run better with the pods.

I am running keihin carbs on my 78 kz400 with pods and a reverse megaphone with no problems. Here are my jet sizes
Stock main is 90 secondary is 70, but Im running 108/82. I also have the needle bumped up a little.

I would imagine you would need new carb holders as well. You can get them from bikebandit.com, dennis kirk...etc. and they aren't that expensive. You'd need a 2-1 throttle cable like Honda twins use, as well.
But if you have the later model carbs like Millennium Falcon has on his '78- and not the ones like I have on my '75- then it
sounds like you may be in luck!

RUnning the same megaphones as you just i'm not 2 into 1, also with pods. What would you recommend I run for jets?

Back
Top Bottom