$2500 - Harley or Other?

PHeller

Coast to Coast
Although I have very little income and even less of it to put it my current project (CB400F), I still like to dream.

Locally I've found some $2500 HD Sportsters, most from the 70's and 80's.

Which got me thinkin: I know many of the older Harley's are slow, inefficient, and parts are expensive...but they can also look really damn cool and you can take them anywhere I can get respect.

So, if you had $2500, would you build a cheap Honda or Yamaha XS, or would you give into your more American interest?

You could build a pretty badass Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki for $2500. I'd rather have a badass custom ride than a 70s/80s Harley any day. Who cares about other people's respect? Build what you want. You're the one riding it. If their respect is based off having a specific brand, I don't want it.

XS650 are not so common in my area and seem to demand outrageous prices.

The last one I saw that ran and had a titled was selling for $900 bucks. That still a few thousand less than a comparable Harley, but I think a Harley looks pretty cool with cheap touches straight from the factory.

why spend more money, for a bike that is slower, less powerful, heavier.... you get the idea...

well, i guess they do SOUND kind of cool.

hmm.... yeah, ill stick with the jap, british... most everything else. only way I would be on a domestic bike is if its a buell, an old indian, or a realllyyy old harley twin, or MAYBE one of the early harley dirtbikes. everything else just looks more or less the same to me. :D

personally i am not a fan of 70-80's hD unless they are FLH's.. just not an iron head fan... love the look hate the way they run and leak... i would sugest saving anohter 500 and go wiht a 90's plus HD sporty 1200 or 883 and build from that, a 1200C would be really nice man

good to know, especially from someone who knows Harley's.

I'll probably still pick up an XS650 one of these days. Just hate the fact that you can't ever find them titled anymore.

What about buying a cheap hard tail frame and using a title from another bike on it, then putting a Yamaha 650 in it?

could make an aluminum steamroller copy, its a 650lbs racing bike some guy made with a sportster engine pushing 100hp

not sure what you are looking at buildin man but if i had 2500 i would buy an intruder
i have loved this since i saw it!.. very cool shaft driven V twin, can hard strut or shocks... just awesome bike. i have had my eye out for a deal on one for some time now.. this is where my 2500 would go, plus they come in 800 and up cc!

017.jpg

026-2.jpg

174.jpg

195.jpg

Look closer; that's not respect- it's a combination of pity and awe- that your butt actually made a destination.
Iron head Sprortsters shake like a turbo Maytag with bad bearings. People will think you have palsy when you get off. thoughts of suicide haunt your dreams, and you wake up sobbing, "What have I done...?"

Now, a mid-90's 883 can be rather spiffy.

That's assumi9ng you actually want to ride it.

BUELL Never heard of a Sporty getting respect, even from the HD crowd. A Buell might get you some, not much, but some. :D

Back
Top Bottom