What do you guys know about scooters?

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
For some reason lately, I've had this incredible urge to bolt one of those Chinese 125-180cc engines into....something.

There's a basket case Z50 near me, but that's just so darn small. I thought about combining it with an XR50 that's also for sale near me so I could get USD forks and a single shock swingarm, but wasn't sure about parts interchangeability.

Now I've found a Cub 70. I could SOOO see myself with a 140cc or bigger Chinese engine in that thing. Just for shits and giggles.

I'm sure there's a forum just for that somewhere, but what do you guys know about it? What about engines; Lifan, Predator, etc. Any to strictly stay away from?

I started with a Honda Ruckus. Put a 150cc Chinese motor in it. Fun scoot but I use to get pulled over all the time. Big market for the Ruckus and you can spend a ton of dough on them. Check out totalruckus.com. Some really good builds on there.

I was informed that the bikes I'm looking at are "mopeds" and not scooters. The GY6 swap is real popular but I was considering the pit bike engines.

A friend of mine built a crazy ass mini quad with a 140cc Piranha race engine. the thing is INSANE! hahaha Lots of power and dead reliable, parts are cheap as hell and readily available... He also has a Gio mini quad hes building with a 200cc zongchen motor or something in it. I'll ask him where he goes for all his info.

He says planetminis.com is great for pitbike stuff

I also personally bought a E-Ton beemer 50cc 2 smoke scooter for the EX, after 4000km it was about ready for a top end, but it never broke down. I was going to big bore it as it was only $100 for the entire top end.

this is the 140

400755_10201233230101274_1129455846_n_zpsb74dfb5c.jpg

Once followed a build on honda-tech of a Ruckus build with a turbo charged CR450F motor bolted to it. Crazy extended swingarm and a fat tire to go along with it. Not sure if he ever finished it, but it was definitely a cool project!

Since you're already looking at mopeds, what about motorized bicycles? There are kits you can buy with a Chinese motor, gas tank, sprocket, throttle, cables, grips, sprockets, etc. OR you can go BIG and buy a Derringer...

http://www.derringercycles.com/gallery

Ha Scooters are where i started and if you want to go custom a Ruckus is the scoot for you. The down side is just an FYI those gy6 (Chinese 150cc) motor are junk. They quality is very poor and it will break..its not if its when. Here is my ruck though still stock 50cc motor, well with a bunch of performance upgrades and cosmetics of course.

scott s said:
For some reason lately, I've had this incredible urge to bolt one of those Chinese 125-180cc engines into....something.

There's a basket case Z50 near me, but that's just so darn small. I thought about combining it with an XR50 that's also for sale near me so I could get USD forks and a single shock swingarm, but wasn't sure about parts interchangeability.

Now I've found a Cub 70. I could SOOO see myself with a 140cc or bigger Chinese engine in that thing. Just for shits and giggles.

I'm sure there's a forum just for that somewhere, but what do you guys know about it? What about engines; Lifan, Predator, etc. Any to strictly stay away from?

DO IT. The funnest bike I have ridden is my Z160A. It all came from me restoring my Z50A and deciding I wanted a stupidly quick version.

It is a Zong Shen 160HO engine with a OKO 28mm Flatslide. The thing is stupid quick and will lift in every gear. I had it topped out at 110KPH on 8 inch tyres.

Go check out the Vintage Z50, CT70 section of Planet Minis. There is more than enough information over there. Davmo and Razzo are the two builders to check out over there.

Attachments

• 2012-06-10_15-42-04_852.jpg
    2012-06-10_15-42-04_852.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 279
  • 2012-06-10_15-41-47_339.jpg
    2012-06-10_15-41-47_339.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 274
I'd love a Trail 110. I've putted around on my friends at mid Ohio and it was a hoot.

Took me a while to find it but here is me on the Chinese 50 with a solid 3500km on it at this point vs a 'fully built so damn fast you dont even know' ruckus..... seriously, this dude swore up and down his scooter was crazy fast, i dont remember if it was gy6 yet or not... Chinese motors FTW!

http://youtu.be/PHneU4711DQ

That was the saddest race I've ever seen

Haha I agree! We only broke the speed limit because we were in a parking lot. He kept saying his ruckus was so fast so I asked if he wanted to race the woman's scooter.

Lately, I've stumbled across a couple of C200's. These are the "Baby Dream's" with the swoopy fenders, but I believe they evolved into the S90.

They have a 90cc horizontal engine that looks for all the world like the Z50, CT90, etc., engines. Think one of the Lifan or other Chinese engines would fit?

totalruckus has a lot of gy6 swap info
i have a ruckus with the stock 50cc GET motor
never really got heavy into modding it, just like putting around town. got a pretty big group i ride with locally
best mods IMO are variator and CDI; i can get up to 50mph on long flats
my gf has a metropolitan which is pretty much the same moped
took it camping this past summer
1175158_669117729782372_1454972771_n.jpg

1151047_669118479782297_512970353_n.jpg

64431_669118329782312_670911397_n.jpg

Stop me if youve heard this
Question: What the hardest thing about owning a scooter
Answer : telling your dad your gay

bradj said:
Stop me if youve heard this
Question: What the hardest thing about owning a scooter
Answer : telling your dad your gay
Hey! We use that same joke for rollerblades.

Back
Top Bottom