Kz400 cylinder head swap

Kylemac13

First bike first build and In trying to remove carb intake boots all 4 bolts snapped off clean after unsuccessfully trying to extract them and trashing the intake boot mounting holes I decided to purchase a new cylinder head. When I purchased my kz400 I was told it was a 78. However after scouring the web I believe it to be a 77(engine vin is k4e 107779) still not quite sure. Anyhow, stupidly I didnt double check the year before I bought the cylinder head. Will a 78 cylinder head work on a 77 or if you know for sure what year mine is. Will it work on my year. I've tried for three days to.find an exact answer and had no luck. Really need some help here. Thanks in advance.

Just look at the VIN plate, it will tell you year of manufacture. Year of registration is irrelevant but what most people use when they say what year vehicle they have.Kawasaki are the only manufacturer I don't do much with so can't tell you where to look for VIN plate, It may be on rear subframe instead of the common steering head area everyone else uses, Kawasaki just liked to be different for no good reason (like spinning ther engine backwards compared to every other Japanese twin of the era)

Not that easy Kawasaki didnt switch to the 17 digit vin until 81. So I have to off the frame and engine serials. Kz400.com identifier link makes me think it's a 77 based on the range for serial numbers if I'm interpreting the pages correctly.

Kylemac13 said:
Not that easy Kawasaki didnt switch to the 17 digit vin until 81. So I have to off the frame and engine serials. Kz400.com identifier link makes me think it's a 77 based on the range for serial numbers if I'm interpreting the pages correctly.

The date is printed on the tag. If you could post a pic the spark plug side of the head it will help identify what year you have.

Maybe it would be easier and more cost effective to just have the broken studs removed? In any case, I very much doubt the stud spacing is different on any of the KZ 400's?

Doesn't really matter, 'Re-coil' (Australian) or even CE kits are pretty cheap.Even Helicoil had to drop price3s from the $250.00~$300 I was paying in early 1980's( £170.00 and up ) Some of price may have been due to import duties in Britain, doens't matter when you got to have it. 'We' charged on average £6.00 a Helicoil back then, now, it's cheap enough to DIY. Unless someone with a decent amount of experience on KZ400's comes along it may be more cost effrective than buying used heads until you find one you like.? Could try sending a PM to Kopsicle, he has a fairbit of Kawasaki experience but may be on 900~1000 but in a dealers you work on what comes through the door.

Back
Top Bottom