1984 Yamaha FJ 600- Rise of "The Mighty Jig"

veritas.archangel said:
Very cool write up. I have an 85 FJ600 that I picked up for $500 about 17 years ago. Rode it a while, but it has been sitting for probably 14 years. Looking at putting it on a lift and starting a cafe project. Love seeing what is being done with this one, and it gives me hope that I can get my old beast bake on the road.

Thanks!
Wish I had a little more progress to report, but I have stalled out with needing a trip to ACE Hardware for metric SS bolts to put it together.
Our local ACE has the best assortment of Stainless hardware, even metric stuff. I was a bit astounded by the fact they had a large assortment of chrome bolts and hardware! Very pretty stuff! The Harley guys would pass out if they saw it!

Mostly the house has gotten in the way lately.
A previous owner added a deck, and bolted it through the banner board and framing, widened the back door to a double french door (and did not know what he was doing) and later added a roof over the deck .... and guess what? He bolted it to the house through the siding above the door!

Lots of rot...
WP_20150919_004_zpsnkaktkcv.jpg

Had to pull the door, remove first four feet of floor in the kitchen, replace 10 floor joists, and rebuild half the back wall.
"Storage" closet on the back was sagging too, as they had destroyed its supports to add the deck, and door had been installed a bit crooked.
WP_20150919_001_zpsay2tfi8f.jpg

It's all finished now, but it was a mess.
Wife had to live with a back wall of "house wrap" for a few days until my friend (who made the mistake of admitting he used to build houses) could come by and help replace it all.
WP_20150920_001_zps7fwjpyz3.jpg

At least now the boss lady is happy again....at least until she decides on a new floor to put down in the kitchen, then its back to work.

Not a lot of movement on this ...
Still in the middle of replacing the siding and windows on the house before winter sets in.
The boss lady said it was more important than the bikes! :eek:

Finally found some stainless hardware and mounted the risers and the super bike handle bar...
WP_20151029_001_zpskllv5fc0.jpg

Not the best picture, and it looks too wide without any controls or anything on it, but I just LOVE the positioning!
Its not as turned down or pulled in as the factory bolt on things. Still clears the windscreen nicely and makes for a comfortable riding position.

Its been too long since I posted any progress...

Its slow going, one part at a time.
Received new turn signals in the mail, had to modify the mounts on the bike to fit them.
I like the look of them, they look like factory pieces, but are not as huge as the old ones.
WP_20151215_003_zps8a7jteia.jpg

Mounted up they look really good.
WP_20151225_003_zpsn2ogqtfr.jpg

Front ones will mount up too, but I have the fairing and its frame off for repair.
Cut up an extra fairing to get a replacement piece for the best of the two...
WP_20151225_001_zpskkulpavm.jpg

WP_20151225_002_zpsb3f2yrtl.jpg

Fitting new levers and cables, working on the dents in the tank, some other things too.
Its killing me not to pull it completely apart and do everything at once, but I told myself I would keep this project together and running as long as possible, try to get all the mechanical, electrical and whatnot done before I disassemble it for paint and powder-coating.
Too many projects (and a few of mine) have never been finished because they became to big a job too fast. Don't want that to happen to this one.

Keep up the good work. I had hoped to get my shop done this past summer to I could tackle my '85. As it sits there is a ton of junk, no decent floors, wiring, or bench space. There's barely room to park my Harley, let alone a project that will need a complete tear-down.

Getting busy again after the winter!

Had a new seat cover made and installed...
20160321_182944_zpsejbtxs8g.jpg

$37 for materials, $50 for an hour labor.
20160321_183246_zpsrfqhucw4.jpg

Controls going back on the new bars... all the buttons work again, still fires right up!
20160321_183305_zpsv9skobrh.jpg

Fairing repairs are just about finished, then I will mount that and route my cables where I want them.
Need to get the brakes back on the front, the dash remounted, re-wire the mess of the coil wires... and take it for another spin!
Plan is to get the swingarm and rear wheel off and restored soon, with all new bearings and chain (maybe do something with the rear shock) and bead blast the exhaust for some new eastwood coating.
I would like to get it together, with all the bits in primer, everything that moves on the front and rear done, the exhaust done, and basically tagged and rideable this summer.
Next winter it can come back apart to clean up the wiring, refinish the engine, and have the frame and whatnot painted (or powder-coated).
We'll see how it goes.

Had the tank off to empty it out and work on taking the small dents out of it, so I decided to replace the old plug wires made from yellow Accel Super Stock wires (and a lot of electrical tape!), so... I replaced them with some brand new Super Stock wires!
But hey, they were free, just laying around the shed.
Afterwards, hit the starter to see if I screwed anything up ... still runs sweet!

http://vid51.photobucket.com/albums/f377/fastcoasty/Bike001_zps0upsbjji.mp4

Wondering if I should go ahead and run it out of fuel?

Pulled the tank apart to start working on it, and decided to rebuild the petcock today.
But... it looks like there is something missing...
20160405_130642_zps9krzzztw.jpg

No tubes or filters at all? Full fuel flow from the bottom in all positions? And no filter after this either?
I think its time for a new petcock.

Re: 1984 Yamaha FJ 600- Rise of "The Mighty Jig"

Mine was missing the reserve straw when I pulled it... ended up replacing it with a brand new manual petcock so I could get rid of the vacuum lines. No regrets.

Yep... time for one of these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Valve-Petcock-ASSEMBLY-FOR-YAMAHA-PW80-XT125-XT250-XT350-TW200-TTR90-E-/181856794577?fits=Make%3AYamaha&hash=item2a578277d1:g:XHwAAOSwys5WU2vl&vxp=mtr

Someone please tell me no... no no no... :eek:

Got this Bandit the other day, just about free, for parts or whatever.
Motor locked up tighter than Dick's hat band...
20160413_1854531_zps5ixlab4m.jpg

Was looking at it very hard, trying to see how hard it would be to get it's 17" wheels and whatnot onto the FJ...
And I couldn't help but think... would it be easier to mount the FJ engine in the Bandit frame?
Answer? Yes, it probably would be.

So, I was playing around with the FJ fairing sitting on the front of the Suzuki...
20160418_195307_zpsftdbuzmy.jpg

Doesn't really look that bad... positioned just right it might work pretty good...

Am I losing it, or is this how these things get started?

you are not loosing it ma man....this is how the problem starts BUT to be honest I think you are onto something with this, the fairing actually looks pretty good on there and with the a paint job I bet it would look like this is the way it came

Make it happen

Took me a while to get all the angles right, but managed to hold the fairing still long enough to weld a new piece to hold the fairing bracket.
20160504_105452_zpseiunawhu.jpg

Fairing mounted up... most of the old Zuki bits off...
20160511_095900_zpsti0ryehw.jpg

With the headlight bucket at the correct angle for proper bulb adjustment the fairing lines up with the lines of the bike and the frame very nicely...
20160511_095910_zpsauoddxut.jpg

I like the fairing - its just sitting too high.

The front lower of the fairing should be lined up with the bottom triple - right now it's about 3-4 inches too high.

hillsy said:
I like the fairing - its just sitting too high.

The front lower of the fairing should be lined up with the bottom triple - right now it's about 3-4 inches too high.

You are right sir... I see it now. I need to drop it down quite a bit.
Thanks for pointing it out.

Don't know what happened with my previous post - the first line somehow ended up being miniature sized font....

Anyway - with the fairing lower you might need different bars to clear it. Such is the world of customizing 8)

All right... this is about as low as it's going to go without re-writing the whole book.

20160515_102741_zpskmlfpltf.jpg

and yes, I may have to use lower bars. I have several to choose from...

Ok, time for a reset and a new start...

Original frame, Yami stem pressed and welded into Zuki lower tree, complete forks/wheel/(and eventually brakes) from Zuki.
Rear frame widened about 2mm and pivot bolt holes enlarged to Zuki size with complete Zuki rear swingarm/wheel/etc.

20170501_190742_zpswg6ejj5i.jpg

Fork tubes will be a bit high out of the top of the trees to get the ride height correct, but that solves another problem, as clip-on bars would end up just about where the original bolt-on ones would have been.

20170501_193329_zpsgpuxjlzt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom