The farklefication of my KLR650

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
So - I splurged after a long year of transition / new job / turmoil and bought my newest most expensive motorcycle ever. A 2013 KLR650 with 13,000KM on it.

One owner (motorcycle dealership mechanic). Properly maintained and purely stock with the OEM saddlebags. The rear tire has 3000KM on it, and it came with a new front IRC unit. I'll probably replace both shortly with a decent 60/40 tire for pavement/dirt.

Got it for CAD $4800 which isn't too bad considering the year and ownership history. New he would have paid about $7-$8K out the door.

Before I could stop myself, I've ordered some must-have farkles for the thing.

-Pro-taper SE (seven-eighths) ATV High bars in black
-SW Motech crash bars
-Oxford heated grips
-Galfer 320mm front disk conversion kit

The bars came today and I expect the remainder to be here Monday. An SW Motech skid plate is next on the list and I'll likely order it so I don't have to put the stock plastic unit back on.

All set to crash it into some rocks and trees!

1-030317155021.jpeg

Nice buy, Tim. We know a few people addicted to the farkles. It's a thing.

The brake kit wasn't on the original plan, but when I was ordering things from Twisted Throttle, it came up on sale.

CAD$224 for a 320mm rotor, braided stainless line, pads and a caliper relocation bracket. The kit lists at US$280 all day and $320 in Canada. Not sure why it was discounted so much (Twisted Throttle in the US has it at US$290).

Seemed like a no-brainer for a much improved braking system over the stock 280mm rotor and they'd need replacing sooner than later anyhow.

galfer-wave-rotor-klr-650_1.png

I've never owned one, but have a friend who commuted 100 miles a day for over 3 years with no problems. He ran Shinko tires the whole time. He also did the doohickey fix on his and the usual ADV changes.

The doohickey has largely been resolved by Kawasaki, at least in terms of the integrity of the adjuster itself. The spring is still too long from what people say.

So I'll order up the Eagle Mike kit and use the better doohickey. It's a bit of a job with pulling the rotor etc. I'll take care of that likely in the fall.

I'll be riding this to Kentucky in May so it may get new tires before that ride. I'll see how it goes on some longer highway rides before hitting the highway for 2 days.

You may consider a front sprocket change for long highway hauls.

It's nice to see such a well maintained example. Not always the case with people who equate "rugged adventure machine" with no maintenance.

I figured I can't take it with me, so a ton of impulse buys have been delivered.

Added the SW Motech skid plate, Barkbusters and Shinko 805/804 tires to the list and have arrived.

Busy cold weekend in the garage coming up!

Let us know how you like those tires.
They are on my list when my current pirellis run out

Got the SW Motech crash bars and skid plate installed tonight. Just the 16t sprocket and the Galfer 320mm brake upgrade to install along with the tires and we're all ready for Kentucky!

0c0cbbfecc576dde60746b526c2d9e55.jpg

afab95f7c159b335140902eec8aed461.jpg

1ae6e1254da90b992c3ceb8e05ea973a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Nice!
I had those same grips on my KLR, they are fantastic. Burn your hands off on 100%

Back
Top Bottom