Speedy's Triumph Hardtail build

Speedfiend

Coast to Coast
My intent with this one is to build the most functional, usable Triumph hardtail that I can. And to do it with only Triumph parts. Just my thing, but I don't care for sporty tanks or Jap front ends on a Brit bike. I've been collecting some choice pieces for this build, and I've finanly got enough to start.

Heres what I've got, A '70 front loop and new custom made 4+, no drop hardtail from The Factory Metal Works. A Triumph disc front end and rear wheel. A '73 T140 750cc, right side shift( cause if it ain't right, it must be wrong!) A pre unit oil tank. A stock Triumph tank. And a few other odds and ends.

Keeping the stock ride height shold allow for pleanty of corner clearance for montian riding. And I don't have to lower the forks.
100_3035.jpg

^^^nevermind the white wall, that'll be raplaced with a much more respectable K81

The only bad part of the frame, someone removed the original gas tank mounts. Doh!
100_3019.jpg

I'm thinking of using either stock pipes or TT"s. I wanna keep them low/under, so there's less chance of burning the kids legs when they go with.
100_3015.jpg

The other advantage to using the disc rear is the range of sprocket sizes I can use. I'm prolly gonna use this 40 tooth chain ring so's I can cruise at 70 all day if needed.
100_3024.jpg

Lots of work to do. I need to make tabs and brackets for the seat, tanks, breaks, .... well just about everything really. Should be fun. I will try to do weekly updates. Hope ya'll enjoy!

Signing up! Looks like fun, like the kids coming with. I take my son to daycare everyday it isn't torrential rain on one of the bikes. He is the coolest kid there ;D We went to the dentist today and he had 6 of the ladies check'n out his new lid and riding gear. They were all chatting him up, and he's only 7!

So much for the weely updates.

Made some progress.
Tires, exhaust, and lots 'o brackets.
101_3137.jpg

101_3141.jpg

Made the replacement front gas tank mount. Just a little lower than stock.
101_3130.jpg

Used the rubber mounts from Lowbrow for the oil tank. All my brackets are just tacked in for now. Gonna wait a while, make sure I love it all, before I have a friend lay down some nice TIG welds.
101_3144.jpg

Rough mock up for rear brakes. Gotta make some more brackets. Don't think the zip ties will last too long.
101_3131.jpg

Scored a Hinckley front master cylinder. Kinda ugly.
100_3031-1.jpg

Ahh, thats better.
101_3127.jpg

Still a long way to go. Need to get the rear fender and P pad. Lights, wiring and a total engine build. Stay tunned...

Righteous man. Theres something just downright classy about a pure Trumpet chop. I look forward to the updates (weekly or not, haha...).

I'll be looking in on your build. I'm into your 'functional' theme. It'll be great to see :)

Thanks guys! I've made a little progress but I was busy getting ready for Barber. Gotta get back to work. I'll post some more pics later

So yeah, little bit of progress. mostly just rounding up parts.
101_3311.jpg

And an artsy one.
101_3305-1.jpg

Picked up a Cammando fender and an old Bates P pad. Looks like its had a few too many farts pushed through it.
101_3297.jpg

Too bad it doesn't have the sticker. I'd sel lit on Ebay for at least a hundred bucks. Gonna have my upholstry guy use it as a pattern and re-cover the seat in tuck and roll too.

I ordered this Exide battery case from Carrot cycles in the UK. Couldn't find em stateside. I was going to use it on the left side to cover the ugly side of the oil tank, as per original. But I think I like it better below the oil tank. Hmmm.

101_3309.jpg

I've about finished the rear brakes. Finished the hanger for the Brembo caliper.

101_3301.jpg

And got the master cylinder/ pedel worked out.

101_3298.jpg

I picked up a Weco oil cooler at Barber for $10

101_3302.jpg

Still have to figure out mounting the fender and finish the exhaust brackets.And rebuild the engine.

*man, that red warning box kills me. "this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days" translation- You REALLY need to get your ass to work.

A little more progress. I made a fiber glass cover for the ugly side of the oil tank.
101_3371.jpg

Turned out pretty OK. I carved a wooden master and made a silicone mold. I don't have any gel coat, so I just laid the glass in.
1205111220.jpg

1206110730.jpg

101_3369.jpg

And I think I've decided on the paint for the tank. Gonna go with something like this T100R.
T100R0071.jpg

I just need to make my battery tray and get the fender mounted, rebuild the engine and and and.

Speedfiend said:
And got the master cylinder/ pedel worked out.

101_3298.jpg

Hey, isn't that Nissin MC a Jap part? Ha, just bustin' yer balls man ;D Great lookin' build.

Ha! I know, I know... but it did come off a late model Triumph so... that kinda counts.

I'm actualy thinking of using an old tool box off a H*nda to fill in space behind the oil tank. And my rear fender is from a Commando. Not to mention the eye-tal-yun caliper. So much for my plan. Ah well, mice and men...

Back
Top Bottom