1993 CBR900RR - rebuilding an iconic super sport

Axle's here, choke cable's here, and I've managed to fat finger and lose not one, not two, but THREE ebay auctions for a straight front wheel :eek: . At least the one that is on the bike is holding air, but I really don't like the "wow" in the rim.

I managed to get the front brake master bled by the tried and true "stick your thumb over the output of the master and squeeze the lever until it stops farting air" method. Another five minutes of holding the brake lever down, cracking the banjo bolt loose then tightening it to get the air out left me with a stiffy firm front brake.

I've been eyeballing Bobdot's CB1000F ( http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=42288.msg470873#msg470873 ), and really like the look of the large single front headlight. I'd like to get a single headlight on the thing so it's safe to shake down. I've asked a few times, but hopefully someone has an H4 round headlight gathering dust they'd like to part with? I have Halloween candy and CB350 fenders and wheels! Also, small green portraits of dead presidents...

Very cool, this is right along the lines of what I want my next project to be. Tuned in!

Find a Suzuki SV650 light...

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=190744273439&index=12&nav=SEARCH&nid=01566549512

Yep, get a Delkevic. I was going to get one before I decided to wait it out and repair my bucket. Did a lot of research and found that they actually make good stuff. Cant beat the price either. Do it!

bob.

I found this one from DCC - $70 before shipping and DTT discount:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-customer-motorcycle-lighting-parts-7-inch-chrome-black-headlight-bucket-6630-26.html

Man, I'm cheap though...I'd like to spend closer to $30, but I'd also like a pony, and that ain't gonna happen either. I found a couple of used Ducati Monster headlights for ~$50 or $60 shipped.

Thanks for all the info and interest though; I'll keep you guys posted!

Well, no headlight yet, but I have a few I'm watching on Ebay.

I did get the bike a lot closer to functional, however. I pulled off the radiator, which had been pushed back against the headers. The electric cooling fan's cage had become bent, causing the fan to hit the radiator, stall, and blow its fuse.

The good news was that nothing was permanently damaged, and all the mounts and brackets could be bent back into place. This bracket was the one that was the most bent and the easiest to get back into place:

A2bWM.jpg

Once it was straightened, the radiator almost fell into place. Here it is in place:

BPy2g.jpg

BTieV.jpg

Ta da!

h2BAQ.jpg

The replacement header has to go on first, however. I'll paint it later after I've proved out the rest of the systems on the bike.

Gl895.jpg

It bolted right up to the Kerker pike that came with the bike:

XnFwu.jpg

I also installed the new Motion Pro choke cable. The cable that came with the bike seemed to be a replacement unit from some kind of lawn equipment. Very sketchy, and it would not stay in place when pulled out. This picture doesn't show much of the choke cable, but it does show the awesome carbs on this bike. Nothing says "I mean business" like big ass carbs and factory velocity stacks.

FecoN.jpg

I also took the opportunity to clean out the cooling system while it was drained, and part of that was removing the overflow bottle. Great, it's buried down there?

7Omv9.jpg

It's looking pretty nice now!

igHLK.jpg

I reinstalled the tail fairings to make the bike look a little more complete and to motivate myself:

2JyKN.jpg

I still need a tail light surround and the panel on top of the tail, but those are rare and valuable. I'll find them eventually.

john83 said:
My brother had one of these. It was painted flat black and fast as hell.

I really like the stock paint scheme, but as I will probably end up with a repro fiberglass upper fairing, I'm not sure if I'll keep the stock paint. I loved the flat black on my Monster, but I also was very pleased with how the metallic dark burgundy turned on on the '79 CB650, so I'm torn. Murdered out with a headlight / taillight kill switch and night vision goggles? ;D

Also, I've only had the thing in third gear and not over 30 (had no front brakes at the time :p ), but I can tell it's a beast. I instantly understood how the PO wadded it up so badly. I think this bike deserves its twitchy, brutal reputation.

Oh yes, that thing was brutal. I recommend airtech if you are looking at fairing options. Their stuff is very high quality.

john83 said:
Oh yes, that thing was brutal. I recommend airtech if you are looking at fairing options. Their stuff is very high quality.

That's good to hear - lots of folks have recommended them too, and the upper "nose" fairing is only $130 through them. I need to find some time during business hours to give them a call.

They're pretty cool to work with. They don't keep pieces in stock, just the molds. When you order something they make it for you.

I was just reading that. Very cool!

Coincidentally, I just picked up a used Airtech rear fairing off ebay for $40 shipped. Since the taillight surround and rear center panel are stupid expensive and unobtainium respectively, I thought this was a good alternative. The loss of the "trunk" under the passenger seat sucks though.

Wt1qj.jpg

I ordered the new upper fairing and did some fiddling with the rest of the fairing pieces to see how well the bolted up. I also slipped the Airtech fairing I scored off of Ebay onto it too:

iAMBQ.jpg

Not much else to report in on...time to hurry up and wait for the front fairing to come in...

It's coming together quite nicely. Well done! I can't remember, but did you say you were going to repaint the whole thing, or?

I think I'm going to have to repaint it, or at least the new bits. I love the stock colors, but even they need touched up. We have a really good bodyshop we work with who does amazing work. They even managed to unchop the chopped tail on my old Ducati Monster (done by PO, who saved the chopped bit) and make the bike look untouched.

Just got the tracking number for the Airtech Streamlining faring - oh hell yes, it is on again!

Of course, this means I'll be working on two projects - this and the CB360. Yikes :p

The faring has arrived! :D

hcuf0.jpg

I think the 900 is on hold until I finish with rebuilding the motor in the 360. Most of the paint and bodywork on both the 900 and the 360 need warmer weather anyway.

But, with this faring the bike is one step closer to looking good!

Back
Top Bottom