1969 Honda CL175 - Scrambler - Engine RPMRacing in idle after TLC & Clubmans

415porto

I just finished putting my bike back together after a little cleaning. I removed left and right engine covers. Replaced all oil seals, cover gaskets, clutch discs and added clubman bars.

The problem I am having is at idle the engine is racing to about 5000 rpm. When I choke the engine the idle drops a little lower but not enough to ride. When I unchoke it it revs up to about 6000-7000 rpm. It also sounds like it is running really rich. I did not touch the ignition system or fuel system but I had to unbolt the alternator from the left engine cover to remove it.

Does electrical in the headlight have anything to do with ignition?

HEEEEELP PLEASE :)

415porto said:
I just finished putting my bike back together after a little cleaning. I removed left and right engine covers. Replaced all oil seals, cover gaskets, clutch discs and added clubman bars.

The problem I am having is at idle the engine is racing to about 5000 rpm. When I choke the engine the idle drops a little lower but not enough to ride. When I unchoke it it revs up to about 6000-7000 rpm. It also sounds like it is running really rich. I did not touch the ignition system or fuel system but I had to unbolt the alternator from the left engine cover to remove it.

Does electrical in the headlight have anything to do with ignition?

HEEEEELP PLEASE :)

Electrical in headlight shouldn't have a bearing on it.

Did you rebuild carbs? You've got a carb issue. Did you put your slides in turned around? If you are running pods, take 'em off, look down your carb. Is your slide stuck half way up? Other issues could be: bad sealing around jets, pinched throttle cable (perhaps, especially if you put on new bars and haven't touched the carbs), or where the cable splits from one to two, the part where it's two has pulled out of the housing. Try those first.

Another thing to check is your carb boots.. Check that they are sealing properly on the intake and carb. Also check for any cracks.. If you have an air leak, this can cause the idle to race when you start it.

With it running (as low idle as possible) you can spray some WD-40 on the rubber carb boots. If there is a crack in them, the idle should jump.

Thanks for the input guys. I think it is a cable routing problem also. What cable should I use for Clubmans? The OEM cable seems a little short. I am 85% sure its the cable routing. I never touched the carbs.

415porto said:
Thanks for the input guys. I think it is a cable routing problem also. What cable should I use for Clubmans? The OEM cable seems a little short. I am 85% sure its the cable routing. I never touched the carbs.

Cable shouldn't be too short -- clubman's usually mean the cable is a little longer than needed, and it's just a question or rerouting. Loosen the nut just under your right hand handlebar control, and that will let you move the cable around a little. I think on my CB175 and CB160 I have the cable run off to the left of the controls, through the triple tree and forks, and under the tank on the right hand side. You'll figure it out.

Problem Solved! Thanks Carnivorous Chicken I owe you one. It was the cable routing along with where the cable splits into two. The throttle cable housing was caught on the outside of the splitter housing.

This thing runs like a dream with no carb, engine, intake adjustments. Clutch feels perfect

- Rock On!!!

Back
Top Bottom