HELP! Do CB175 +2.00 Pistons/Rings Exist?

1sttimer

Over 1,000 Posts
Like the posting says, I'm looking for 2.00 oversized pistons and rings for a 1973 CB175. I have a pretty bad gouge and new OEM jugs are $310 bucks!!! My local shop said that +1.00 would be borderline whether the bore would remove the gouge. From what I see, the largest I can find is +1.00. I would feel safer at 1.5 or 2.0. Any suggestions?

Help!!

cb200 pistons are 55.5, which is 3.5mm bigger than stock cb175. I can't tell you if the 175 sleeves have enough meat to take that off, but if they don't, I'm wondering if 200 jugs will fit the 175.. same stroke, the 200 was kinda an 'evolution' of the 160 and 175.. I'd be willing to bet a machinest could make cb200 sleeves fit the 175 jugs though, barring that.

If there ever were 2.00 over (which is what, 8th overbore?), you'd have to find some NOS sitting somewhere on some shelf.

I do know that some of the racing cb175's and 160's are taken to 212 on the same stroke, so you might be in luck.

Ok so standard 200 pistons are 55.5? I think I have enough meat to take 3.5 total off. Do you know if the 200 pistons work with the 175 wrist pins and connecting rods? If so I can just buy a set of stock, bore it out 3.5 and go. Do the pistons look the same? I wonder if ill come in contact with the head...

I dunno if they are exactly the same, but again, cb200 was based on the 175. Again, stroke is exactly the same.

CB200 pistons http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb200t-usa-k0-type_model426/piston-std_13101354000/#.UizL7j_DKa4
CB175 pistons http://www.cmsnl.com/cb175-super-sport-175-k6-usa_model422/13101-313-010-piston_13101313000/#.UizLpD_DKa4

Look pretty similar, could prolly make em work. Someone needs to measure top o wrist-pin to shoulder height on both, My bet is that they are the same.

Awesome! Thank you for chiming in. Hopefully someone on the forum will see this and post those dimensions. I found a fairly nice set from the UK for $150, plus $100 to bore. My only worry now is warp from added heat. Is there a rule of thumb for minimum sleeve thicknesses?

I have plenty of meat then. I don't have them on hand but I feel like I'm closer to .25 inches. Also, the set came with pistons, rings, pins and clips.

Yeah, I'd worry if they were coming from Thailand like a lot of other items but it looks like its Honda stuff. But it's a 4 ring design...I thought OEM were three piece.

Yeah I was trying to get you a link but my phone isn't cooperating. I'll post one in a half an hour.

I'm not finding a good picture anyway. What I'm referring to is the grouping of rings at the bottom of the piston with the expander between them. If you look on a Honda fiche, this component is one solid piece. I ordered a set of rings a while back that had this assembly as 3 individual pieces (two thin oil rings on either side of the gold colored expander). I'm not sure what the benefit is, but what I hear is that the segregated style is the new style and they don't typically sell the oil rings and expander as one component any more unless you order OEM.

Some what? You mean oil ring components? I dunno,never seen 'em sold separately. Never looked for 'em separately.

Check out this ring set. See how it has two thicker piston rings and then 2 oil rings and then an expander?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB175-CA175-PISTON-RING-SIZE-STD-13011-439-004-R-/260816040251?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb9d8f13b&vxp=mtr

Here's a photo of an issue I had with this set. It was installed wrong and came out of the seat and dug into my cylinder wall. That's why I'm having this issue to begin with. Some dude at a shop I'll never use again installed the things and one oil ring came out of the seat.

Attachments

• Photo Jul 02, 8 11 04 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 02, 8 11 04 PM.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
Check the wrist pin diameters between the. 175 and 200 motors - I'm pretty sure they aren't interchangeable.

My advice: find a used 175 cylinder head and start over. They sold thousands of them.

I just read somewhere that cb200t wrist pins are 1mm larger than 175 wrist pins. Someone said they had the small ends of their rods machined to fit 200 pistons. I can't vouch for it.

I'm primarily versed in cb350's, SOHC4's and Zuki GS's, I'd have to have the 175 and 200 parts in front of me to make a real edumacated guess as to what will work.

Back
Top Bottom