1st startup since rebuild. Bike goes bang bang

BNR34RB26DETT

Been Around the Block
Well i have converted the bike into a cafe and i finally had the chance to try to start it up tonight.
The bike is getting spark to the plugs when i checked.
It is definitely getting fuel.

However, i get a few bangs (explosion out of exhaust) here and there and bike does not start.

My question is
1. if plugs are getting spark, have i wired up the bike correctly? coils seem to be in the right plug and bike was running before i tore it down.

I cant think of anything else to check. Im not sure if its electrical issue or mechinical.

Any inputs would be appreciated

Thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4k3qgYvTLQ

You say "plugs" so I'll assume you are not talking about a single.

Backfiring is caused by incorrect ignition timing. Try swapping the coils over - you might have mixed them up.

hmmmm thanks for the input.
I may have mixed up the blue and yellow wire that goes into the coils. ill swap them and see what happens

hillsy said:
You say "plugs" so I'll assume you are not talking about a single.

Backfiring is caused by incorrect ignition timing. Try swapping the coils over - you might have mixed them up.

Yep, been there done that haha. Most likely the issue if you're getting SOME ignition.

always wondered about the structural integrity of a top tree thats been shaved that much. It looks cool.. but will it hold up? There are a couple of guys on here that make custom top tree's.. Mr E is one.. Cognito Moto makes them for the 750's (not sure of interchangeability).. I dunno maybe one of the more knowledgeable guys can chime in.

I agree about the coil wires though. The Wire diagrams can be annoying to sort our which cyl gets which coil.. I mean look at it.

http://www.cmsnl.com/classic-honda-fansite/honda_wiring_diagrams/CB550.jpg

You haven't mentioned anything related to setting the cam chain tension, timing or valve lash - all of which are job #1 before you bother trying to sort anything else out. Those adjustments don't change based on how well the bike is running or not, and must be done first.

Popping / backfiring could be caused by many issues - get those basic tuning steps out of the way and move on from there.

I had the same problem as you when I gt my bike back together. It seemed that the problem was the coils being connected wrong, but it turned out I had reassembled the spark advancer 180 degrees out. so If in doubt, check that too.

Back
Top Bottom