CB360's-from build to blog - 2013, MDS (Mo Dumb Shit)

Re: Yet another CB360 ( or two?)

(sorry for the ramble...no sleep and too much coffee)

Did some more work on hub, took just about all day but its finally 'finished' (maybe, except for cleaning off the grease, painting inside the holes, gluing in the mesh and building into wheel :D)
the holes around circumference are 11mm, need to black out inside them
As I had a piece of almost round alloy scrap 2" long (core drilled the block for clip-on's), I made a bearing spacer for inside the hub, just because.......... (saves over an ounce ) weight about 4lbs, down from 5+lbs. 8)
Originally I had the machined pieces between fins in alloy, looked a bit much so I cleaned all the caliper paint off and started over :eek:
It's a stupid amount of work for whats basically a cheap bike
Heres some pics, the polished side is actually polished, the 'scratches/scuffs are just oil/grease film

PJ
Hub-holes.jpg

Hub-closeup.jpg

Hubfull.jpg

PJ, That looks money! I wish I'd thought of that for the hubs on my R5. I had the rims powdered black and this would have been a really nice touch. Dammit!

Looks amazing PJ, very nice work.

What size are the larger holes? Also, what kind of bit do you use to drill the holes?

crazypj said:
don't remember size, inch and half or inch and quarter (I'll measure them tomorrow)
Carefully mark centers where you want holes, pilot drill 1/8" from inside then mount in drill press at low speed (200rpm?, forget lowest speed on my drill)
Get a hole saw from Home Depot, about $12~$14.00
Its easier to see where the ribs are inside hub rather than take loads of measurments and work on outside.
Use a worn down flap wheel to smooth out/de-burr holes.

PJ

Excellent, thanks PJ

crazypj said:
Just wait til its finished ;)

don't remember size, inch and half or inch and quarter (I'll measure them tomorrow)
Carefully mark centers where you want holes, pilot drill 1/8" from inside then mount in drill press at low speed (200rpm?, forget lowest speed on my drill)
Get a hole saw from Home Depot, about $12~$14.00
Its easier to see where the ribs are inside hub rather than take loads of measurments and work on outside.
Use a worn down flap wheel to smooth out/de-burr holes.

PJ

I measured the holes, they are inch and half diameter.
re-reading above post, you flip brake drum over after you have pilot holes in place so you can cut through the end of small rib inside drum, that wasn't made clear and I thought it would be obvious but decided to clarify things just in case anyone tried drilling from 'inside' and got hurt.

J

Had a bit of time today so I built front wheel.
It was only 'out' about 2~3mm of up and down and less than 2mm side/side so truing didn't take long.
Side by side, the flanged WM3 rim looks huge compared to skinny stock WM1 rim.
I painted spokes black so there would be some contrast with polished alloy, not sure if I like it, should have gone with a dark red or Honda red but its such a pain painting spokes I'm not doing it over. (maybe next time?)
Still have to glue mesh in place, seemed a better idea to do it after building/truing
PJ
Here's before, during and after pics.
Widewheel-1.jpg

all the 'inner' spokes get fitted first.
Widewheel-2.jpg

Built but not trued, I got it to 0.015", may go over it again when I get time and get it below 0.010"
Widewheel-3.jpg

Looks good man! And black goes with everything, 8) don't worry about it!

I really like those black spokes.

Did you have any trouble respoking, or is that an easy job?

PJ is probably going to have better advice here, but I re-laced some wheels for the first time recently and found it to be pretty easy if you take your time and pay attention. I watched a few how to videos on youtube and then went at it with a homemade stand. The key is when you tighten one you have to loosen two. If you tighten one a 1/2 turn then you loosen the opposite two on either side of it a 1/4 turn each. It took me about an hour each to get them pretty close to perfectly true. I have since obtained a dial indicator, When I do it again I will measure more accurately.

Lacing wheels is pretty easy, easier if you have something to look at for pattern (pictures work fine)
You need close up of spoke grouping around valve hole it's important not to have angles overlap hole.
Truing is where a degree of luck/skill comes in.
Fix the up/down first then side/side ( I usually do whichever is worst first if its more than 1/8", then do as I previously said)
You can use swing arm in vice instead of proper truing stand (I do)
Couple of sticks to use as pointers works (rubber bands and chopsticks) although I use a 1" travel dial indicator inside rim where tyre fits, and down in the drop center for side/side.
You have to compensate for weld area though (on alloy rims DTI will mark polished surface, not a problem with chrome rims)
I was watching TV while I built that one so it took longer than normal (about hour and half total, should have taken closer to 30mins but I'm out of practice) ::)

PJ

Swing arm in a vice is a great tip!

I used flat steel with adjustable nuts and bolts as the "feeler" for the rim.

Just bought a spare swing arm and rear hub off eBay, going to do some 'work' on them. (bronze bushings are the easy bit) ;D
nothing else happening (couple of boring jobs done and finally finished, small 'irritating' stuff, no pictures)
Quiet Christmas, didn't do much of anything.
Christmas present from wife arrived today, new rotary table for mill. (ordered and paid for on 11th December, came from Tampa, about 80~100 miles away :mad:)
Will have to make some fixtures so I can finish off handlebar clamps and I have some other plans ;)
Probably going to do a bunch on XS800 in next few weeks, itds been tagged and titled 2 yrs and still not finished :-[
Still working 6:00am til 6:15pm, with travel its a long day ::)
Left hand seems to be getting worse since accident in early October, really putting a damper on things.
Unusually cold weather in Florida is also slowing things down (probably why I'm hurting all over?)
All for now, need to sleep

PJ

Thanks for the update PJ. Sorry to hear about the schedule - I know it's tough to get anything done except sleep and eating.

But at least you got some of the small irritating stuff out of the way!

crazypj said:
Left hand seems to be getting worse since accident in early October, really putting a damper on things.
What happened? Accident? Shit man, we may butt heads on occasion but I hate to hear of any brother eating pavement.

crazypj said:
Unusually cold weather in Florida is also slowing things down (probably why I'm hurting all over?)

Wait.....no....really........they have that there? What constitutes 'cold'? Didn't hit 70 yesterday? Ha!

Hi Swagger,
You'd probably like me if you knew me ;D
I damaged nerves and tendons pull starting a Suzuki Ozark when it backfired (its a damn 250 atv)
Lot luckier than the other guy who got hurt, he dislocated shoulder. :eek:
The electric start destroyed crankcase bosses but, no-one told me it backfired when trying to start it (until later-after I got hurt)
Still dont know cause, possibly faulty CDI running full advance, will have to get timing light on it sometime
Checked cam timing and flywheel key/keyway, all good.
Everyone is afraid to go near it now :D
Its been close to freezing in Florida for about a week or more, run out of firewood (from trees I cut up during hurricanes in 2004 :eek:)
I don't think it got up to 50f today and about 30~32 last night
'We' are set up to loose heat so when it get 'cold' it feels real cold.
Weather people are quite happy to tell you wind chill factor is going to make it feel like 20 degrees.
Mid 50's~70's is about normal temps this time of year.
One good thing though, I should be back on single shifts at end of week so I only have to do 5:00am until 2:30pm fom next Monday

PJ

Rear hub turned up today. 8)
I got lucky, it has already been bead blasted and came complete with axle, brake plate and chain adjusters (axle nut is only thing missing and I'm sure I have one stashed)
I filed out the webs between fins already so its looking smoother
Going to mark it up for drilling over weekend.
Not sure what to do with sprocket carrier side, havent seen anything that looks good when its drilled/filed out.
Thinking of machining some 'fins' onto it or cutting away betwen webs inteernally then fitting mesh?
Problem is, when I start cutting, I'm commited to it. (I guess I can always buy another if I really mess up or don't like it? ::))
Already decided to 'skeleton' the brake plate, drilled some holes for guide to where the internal webs 'live'
Anyone drilled rear hub? got pics? any links?

PJ

Swing arm arrived, its pretty rusty and dirty but I don't think its going to be too much of a problem
Been too cold to do anything, below freezing all day (must be, there is ice in the crevices in/on trees next to house)
definitely not set up for this weather.
Went to doctors yesterday
I'm officially sick, blood pressure up around 144~150 over 88~103 plus I have bronchitis and bunch of antibiotics :eek:
Guess its the reason I've been totally exhausted.
Good news though, I'm only doing single shift next week, plus I'm going to have a day off sick to get some tests done 8)
Maybe I'll feel well enough to actually do something useful (particularly if weather gets about 55f ;D)

Geez Pj, I hate to sound like your doctor, but stay in bed and relax!

And in your free time help everybody out on here! Hint,hint....

Back
Top Bottom