First build- 82 Virago 750

Thanks! I was on the fence with fork color, but glad I decided to paint them. I'll be shortening the cables. Was hoping some creative routing would take care of it, but didn't work. I'll be running a small after market speedo.

damn those maxims and viragos look ugly in stock form. i had an 83 xj750 seca which didn't look much better hahah. your build is looking nice though man keep it up. definitely digging the painted forks too, I'm contemplating doing that as well.

Just a few final pics.

Attachments

• dougs6172011a.jpg
    dougs6172011a.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 2,090
  • dougs6172011b.jpg
    dougs6172011b.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 9,133
Wow, I am converted... Virago makes a nice whip with the right man behind the wrench.

Damn, now I'm wishing I kept my Virago 750! I always loved the Zero cafes but there was so much work to be done I knew it was out of reach. Congrats!!!

Has anyone seen one of these cafe conversions done on one of the dual shock swingarm models? I would imagine it would not be quite as slick...but I know where there is one, cheap. My buddy has an '89 750 that I'm selling for him on eBay right now.

Thanks for all the great comments! The bike was a blast to build. Also, thanks for the bike of the month nomination!

I almost pulled the trigger on this myself (same rear wheel conversion) but I was just too leery on the handling.

Does it handle like a freight train with that massive tire up front?

On a related handling note: That front is almost making contact with the fork. As the tire typically expands in high speed rotation is that an issue? I'm not a builder myself, but I wonder if custom triples are in order to compensate for tire size. Otherwise, great build.

Dasarius said:
On a related handling note: That front is almost making contact with the fork. As the tire typically expands in high speed rotation is that an issue? I'm not a builder myself, but I wonder if custom triples are in order to compensate for tire size. Otherwise, great build.

I believe the tire expands in diameter (albeit marginally, unless you're running a deflated racing slick) due to centrifugal force. I think the tight clearance width-wise would only come into play if he got a flat...and maybe not even then.

Well, it's definitely not as quickly manuverable as a modern sport bike, but it's not meant to be that. It's more of a cruiser with the fat tire up front. I've just put on a new front tire, the one in the picture is an old worn out, flat centered rear, and it still went around corners fine....kind of suprising. Haven't been out on it with the new front yet, but guessing it will roll in to the corners much better.
I've had no issues with the width of the front tire. Like platkeyboy said, tires expand in diameter at speed, they don't get wider.

Are you selling your bike on craigslist in seattle? I just saw one with those exact pictures.

I'd love to come take a look at it sometime if you're local

Back
Top Bottom