Clutch plates sticking when engine cold

Moa

Been Around the Block
Ever since I bought it my 1973 CB125S usually clunks into first gear after the bike has been sitting for a while. I figured that the clutch plates are sticking together. The bike only needs to sit for a couple of hours before the plates stick. I've decided I should try remedy this problem before I wear out first gear. Not sure if the type of oil has anything to do with it. for the last oil change I used full synthetic 5W-30 oil, the manual calls for 10W-30, but I couldn't find any in 1 litre bottles.

Anyone out there have any idea how I could fix this problem?

What kind of oil?
It has to be motorcycle specific designed for a wet clutch system. Car oil won't cut it and will cause what you describe.

Thanks for the advice, I'm just using Mobil brand oil from the petrol station. I'll do an oil change with motorcycle oil, and see if that fixes it. Is it OK to use 10W-40, as this this a much easier type to find?

Use motorcycle oil. Newer oils are too good and can cause a slipping clutch as well as sticking discs. Mean while, use a zip tie to hold the clutch lever in while it is parked and it will be free when you ride it.

Any auto parts store (autozone, advanced, oreilley, napa, etc) should have some 10w30 motorcycle oil

Moa said:
Thanks for the advice, I'm just using Mobil brand oil from the petrol station. I'll do an oil change with motorcycle oil, and see if that fixes it. Is it OK to use 10W-40, as this this a much easier type to find?

They make motorcycle oil for a reason. It has friction modifiers that allow the clutch not to stick after sitting parked for a while and it also keeps the clutch from slipping while in use. Using normal car oil can cause damage to your clutch resulting in premature clutch wear or even worse, broken parts.

Back
Top Bottom