My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project (Finished Video & Pics!)

Walms said:
They'll last a lifetime on a 2 stroke! :D

Haha yes! My copper washers arrived so I will try them while I wait for the Stat o Seals to arrive.

Yes!!! Finally I have the lubrication system working correctly :) Now to work on the jetting which is not my strong point but I'll get it figured out ;)

So now we get to see horn monos and backing it into corners type video. Y E S....

Re: Re: My Suzi T500 Project (Finished Video & Pics!)

johnu said:
Yes!!! Finally I have the lubrication system working correctly :) Now to work on the jetting which is not my strong point but I'll get it figured out ;)

I'm pretty knowledgeable with jetting. What carbs you have? What's the bike doing? Carbs minty clean inside? Are they syncd? Do they have a choke?

Always start with tuning the pilot jet and get it starting easy and idling well. A trick here is using the air adjustment screw to tell you if your rich or lean.

Then does it rev out nice and fast in neutral or does it hesitate or bog, backfire, etc. I then dial in the needle in neutral. Then I take it for a ride to test on load to fine tune the needle and main further.

HollywoodMX said:
I'm pretty knowledgeable with jetting. What carbs you have? What's the bike doing? Carbs minty clean inside? Are they syncd? Do they have a choke?

Always start with tuning the pilot jet and get it starting easy and idling well. A trick here is using the air adjustment screw to tell you if your rich or lean.

Then does it rev out nice and fast in neutral or does it hesitate or bog, backfire, etc. I then dial in the needle in neutral. Then I take it for a ride to test on load to fine tune the needle and main further.

Ok thanks thats good info, I am just about to give it a go.

The carbs are brand new VM34 Mikunis with chokes. It is really rich on the bottom end it feels like there is no pull there but when you get to 3/4 throttle (on the main jet) it clears itself and takes off. the bike starts easily and will idle but not well. As soon as you try to rev it though it is really fluffy and not crisp. I am going to try the airscrews first to see what happens.

Well not much success today. I tried tweaking the airscrew but really it didn't make much difference when I screwed it in or out which is unusual. The bike will idle reasonably well but it really bogs down when you blip the throttle. I went out and rode the bike and it really bogs down when you pull away. It takes until nearly full throttle for it to clear up and run crisp.

Holy cow though does it fly when it clears itself, I had kind of forgotten what two strokes are like since I have been riding 4 stroke supermoto's for ages. My KTM is about 52hp, with the porting and the expansions on the t500 I was hoping to get 55hp, well this bad boy absolutley will leave the KTM in its dust on acceleration I am sure of it. The plan is to use this bike for track days, and right now I am thinking it is going to hold its own if I got the frame geometry right!

John, what is the final weight of the bike I'd be interested to know? If you know of a race car garage or someone that has a set of real weight scales I'd scale the bike alone and with you on it in your track day gear. That way you'll know your percentages and total. I do that and it helps for setup. As far as your jetting Eric of Sundial motosport should be able to pretty much nail it from memory?
Cheers, 50gary

What jets are in there now? If they are over the counter 34s, try dropping from 35 to 30 or even 25 and see if that helps.

teazer said:
What jets are in there now? If they are over the counter 34s, try dropping from 35 to 30 or even 25 and see if that helps.

Ok will do:)

My Suzi T500 Project (Finished Video & Pics!)

Hi John, when you say bog, I take that as a lean condition... When idling, wick the throttle, it should rev immediately, any hesitation or bog and it means you need to go richer on the pilot. Change that first then focus on mid throttle and adjust the needle height in this area.
I believe with VM's the idle screw leans as you turn it counter clockwise so start with this setting 1 turn from fully screwed in.

Walms said:
Hi John, when you say bog, I take that as a lean condition... When idling, wick the throttle, it should rev immediately, any hesitation or bog and it means you need to go richer on the pilot. Change that first then focus on mid throttle and adjust the needle height in this area.
I believe with VM's the idle screw leans as you turn it counter clockwise so start with this setting 1 turn from fully screwed in.

Ya John this is good advice. Don't worry about the needle and main jet until you get the pilot and air screw sorted. Pull the choke and set your mixture screw to full rich and go ride the bike. If it rides better save some unusual throttle behavior (because of the choke letting in more air and fuel) then you are lean on the pilot for sure.

If it does run better with the choke, keep the choke in at idle set the mixture screw to full rich and start dialing it back to leaner and see if the RPMs go up. If they don't they your main is off more. If it does its off less. That should help you decide which jets to buy. But if it painfully idles and starts relatively easy it's Probly off by 1 to 3 sizes.

Curious what position is your needle in? On some carbs the needle can effect the pilot a little.

I really appreciate all the help thanks :) I do think I might not be explaining the conditon very well though, when I said it bogs down that was probably not the best description. When the bike is idling and you blip the throttle it does respond but it seems like its woolly and choked up. Now, yesterday when I tried it I didn't have the air filters (Uni, long grey foam pods) but I thought today I would try it with them on before I did anything else, this made the condition worse. With the filters still on I tried riding it with the chokes on but this made it even worse, almost like the plugs were fouled! I would think this all points to it being rich, what do you think? I did try starting it with the air screw 1 turn out then turning it out even more when it was idling but it seemed to make no difference. I know that it should either slow the revs down or speed them up a little.

My pilots right now are 35's and the needle is in the middle position with 260 main jet. Other people I know with T500's with 34's are running either 35 or 45 pilots and 260 main. Thing is my bike has very unique pipes and it's ported so that could be a factor.

50gary said:
John, what is the final weight of the bike I'd be interested to know? If you know of a race car garage or someone that has a set of real weight scales I'd scale the bike alone and with you on it in your track day gear. That way you'll know your percentages and total. I do that and it helps for setup. As far as your jetting Eric of Sundial motosport should be able to pretty much nail it from memory?
Cheers, 50gary

Yes I will be weighing the bike at some point, however that's not top priority right now got to getting jetting right ;) I would guess that the bike weighs under 300lb just from picking it up to move it in the shop and comparing to my other bikes. Eric said to just try it with the jetting that comes in the stock new carbs.... a bit vague really.

Pilot jets are dirt cheap. Buy a couple of sizes and just try them. If smaller makes it better, good. If it makes it worse, you can always try larger ones.

teazer said:
Pilot jets are dirt cheap. Buy a couple of sizes and just try them. If smaller makes it better, good. If it makes it worse, you can always try larger ones.

That's kind of what I was thinking too ;)

My Suzi T500 Project (Finished Video & Pics!)

You could always get a quick and dirty weight by weighing front and back separately, just be sure to throw a spacer on the opposite end the same height as the scale.

Walms said:
You could always get a quick and dirty weight by weighing front and back separately, just be sure to throw a spacer on the opposite end the same height as the scale.

I may try this while I wait for new jets to arrive ;)

johnu said:
I really appreciate all the help thanks :) I do think I might not be explaining the conditon very well though, when I said it bogs down that was probably not the best description. When the bike is idling and you blip the throttle it does respond but it seems like its woolly and choked up. Now, yesterday when I tried it I didn't have the air filters (Uni, long grey foam pods) but I thought today I would try it with them on before I did anything else, this made the condition worse. With the filters still on I tried riding it with the chokes on but this made it even worse, almost like the plugs were fouled! I would think this all points to it being rich, what do you think? I did try starting it with the air screw 1 turn out then turning it out even more when it was idling but it seemed to make no difference. I know that it should either slow the revs down or speed them up a little.

My pilots right now are 35's and the needle is in the middle position with 260 main jet. Other people I know with T500's with 34's are running either 35 or 45 pilots and 260 main. Thing is my bike has very unique pipes and it's ported so that could be a factor.

Good info. Yes porting can make the jetting harder to dial in. Custom 2t pipes is a completely separate ball game. As far as the filters it's not always a tell tale sign. Some bikes run better with filters or air boxes no matter what you do.

I'm thinking you are lean on the pilot and rich on the main and the needle may need some leaning out. I would get the 40, 43 and 45. I'm leaning more to the 43 being the right one.

Drop the needle to the second last position (closest to the fat end) if that's only 1 step from e middle then put it to the last position. Put the air screw to full rich. Ride again both with choke on and off and let us know how it goes. If you are gaining power everywhere but the top feels like there is more to gain we are on the right path. By that point we can get an idea of what mains to get to try.

Check a plug too for color.

Are the stock carbs the same size as the one you got? What's your elevation?

Back
Top Bottom