Hello to all

Darkbane

Hello everyone.

I can't believe I didn't stumble upon this forum before with all of my searches for Cafe' related things. Anywho...I'm glad I have. I know this will be a valuable resource for all of my present and future questions.

About me. I'm 27 and live in Chicago. I have a project bike, that has unfortunately not started due to lack of space. Here's a link: http://www.cgshane.com/cl350.htm

I also just purchase a motorcycle a couple of weeks ago. So far I love the motorcycle and I have had a lot of fun with it. It's an '83 Suzuki GS650G. I previous owner had already done some work to it, but I have some future plans for it. My first priority is a new seat. I'm currently looking into my options of buying a new one, or having one made off of the stock seat pan. I'd love any comments or suggetions. Here's a pic.
GS650G_01.jpg

GS650G_04.jpg

Peace

Funky ride. Yeah this site focuses on Japanese based cafe bikes while the vast majority feature British bikes since they were the originals. But our members tend to be of a younger generation that have more exposure to Hondas and Yamahas rather than Triumphs or Nortons.

I understand where the history of the cafe racer comes from, but the style is the style and will obviously translate over into any bike you can find. I'd love to own a triumph or and old BSA, but the reality for me just as I'm sure it is for most others is the availability of a british bike. Even when you can find them, the prices can be pretty ridiculous sometimes.

From what I've seen so far, and I'm glad to see, it doesn't seem like the Japanese bikes get shunned at by the Brit owners. I'm really glad to see that. I think all bikes have their place in history and deserve some respect.

Peace

i like that project bike it should be nice when done here another good forum www.sohc4.us i know that aint a sohc but forum has a section for non shoc honda's many the honda owners here also on that site, this forum seems to centre around cafe riding and lifestyle other one is merely tech and how to do stuff.

Darkbane said:
I understand where the history of the cafe racer comes from, but the style is the style and will obviously translate over into any bike you can find. I'd love to own a triumph or and old BSA, but the reality for me just as I'm sure it is for most others is the availability of a british bike. Even when you can find them, the prices can be pretty ridiculous sometimes.

From what I've seen so far, and I'm glad to see, it doesn't seem like the Japanese bikes get shunned at by the Brit owners. I'm really glad to see that. I think all bikes have their place in history and deserve some respect.

Peace

Hey DArkbane,

Welcome to the forum!!...Im glad that you found us!!.. I think you'll fit in just nicely!!
I love the bike!!...

Hey, Welcome Darkbone.
I like the bike, it's nice and clean.

If you're looking for suggestions - hope you don't mind - I'd suggest re-vitalizing the tank badges with some white highlights, and removing that rear fender in favor of a flatter surface for your seat to sit on.
The seat itself looks really cool, would be great lying flat - I suspect.

Long live shafties!
(My seca is a shaftie - check it out in the show-n' shine http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=466.15)

What are your future plans you spoke of?

Thanks for all of the comments guys. It's much appreciated. There's nothing I hate more than posting in forums that people don't visit. It's nice to see there's people around reading all of this and reply on top of that.

Pyro139 > I have check out that forum before, but didn't notice much about the smaller honda's. I'll have to go back and dig a little deeper. I would really love to be working on that bike right now, but I don't have the space or tools at the moment.

Ease > First off....I was checking your bike out the other day and I really love the look of it. Very Nice. As far as my bike goes... I would really like to change the seat. I've never really liked it. The previous owner had good intentions with it and actually did some really good work on it, but it's just not the style I want. I'm also looking into my options as far as color schemes. I'm a little torn because the paint job the previous owner did looks really good, and I actually like the color, but I'm more of a Black, White and Chrome kind of guy. I never saw myself with yellow. Any suggestions about paint schemes and ideas would be very appreciated. I'm also not entirely sure about the exhaust. I like the black headers, but I might do away with the megaphone muffler. Maybe just chop it right off and leave it. Not sure yet. Again...any suggestions are welcomed.

Again...thank you all for your comments

Peace

Darkbane said:
Thanks for all of the comments guys. It's much appreciated. There's nothing I hate more than posting in forums that people don't visit. It's nice to see there's people around reading all of this and reply on top of that.

Pyro139 > I have check out that forum before, but didn't notice much about the smaller honda's. I'll have to go back and dig a little deeper. I would really love to be working on that bike right now, but I don't have the space or tools at the moment.

Ease > First off....I was checking your bike out the other day and I really love the look of it. Very Nice. As far as my bike goes... I would really like to change the seat. I've never really liked it. The previous owner had good intentions with it and actually did some really good work on it, but it's just not the style I want. I'm also looking into my options as far as color schemes. I'm a little torn because the paint job the previous owner did looks really good, and I actually like the color, but I'm more of a Black, White and Chrome kind of guy. I never saw myself with yellow. Any suggestions about paint schemes and ideas would be very appreciated. I'm also not entirely sure about the exhaust. I like the black headers, but I might do away with the megaphone muffler. Maybe just chop it right off and leave it. Not sure yet. Again...any suggestions are welcomed.

Again...thank you all for your comments

Peace
well if dont see info looking for there, then ask we be glad to answer what we know

[quote author=Darkbane]
Thanks for all of the comments guys. It's much appreciated. There's nothing I hate more than posting in forums that people don't visit. It's nice to see there's people around reading all of this and reply on top of that. [/quote]

Yeah this forum is great. I check every day that I'm home and comment whenever I have something relevant / "funny" to say.
And I think you'll find most people here the same way... Plus (one of) our moderator, locOleoN is always online ;D

[quote author=Darkbane]
[/quote]

Thanks for looking!
I'm sure you've allready checked it out, but as you probaly know there is a section here called Tanks & Seats with a bunch of ways to make up your own seat. There is some great info in there. And I'm sure you could find someone who wants your old seat - if you were trying to offset the cost of building one.

I tried running my 4-1 with no muffler once and the cops were at my door within minutes (quickly found out my new neighbor was a cop) lol, it sounded awesome though... but definately too loud for a daily driver (and, more importantly, nightly driver). The shorty I have on there now sounds nice, and it was only 40 bucks on eBay. Bike is still a bit loud (in a good way) and it keeps that classic look I think.

As far as paint scheme goes... Noel will say flat black (and I tend to argree) but if you want to do something else you could always do some variation on gloss black (since you say you like black-white-chrome). When I think about my next project I usually imagine it being either a CR style naked racer that's ferrari red, or a fully faired racer painted silver / grey (& blue)... or, of course a primer black chopper with brushed aluminum everything else 8) (when I learn how to weld and can afford a frame / motor).

Back
Top Bottom