"RATTLE CAN" BLING! ...everything is here!

I personally never sand between layers. I wonder if you could just plastidip the tank. I don't know how it holds up to gas butnitnwould certainly give you a really nice and smooth satin finish.

I'm a fan of plasti dip. Had it on my car's wheels for like two years and it held up. I've got it on 2 of my bikes right now just as a cheap temporary thing. It really needs like 3-4 days to really cure and harden up. Pretty durable, but one drop of gas and bam! Won't totally eat through or anything but it will mess it up.

White on the body and red on the wheels
1BB90477-E562-446A-8A52-2FEFED7255F4-2135-000002A53DAA94BF_zpsa5facc84.jpg

Orange
A9583C89-24B8-4966-97A0-0E8A4B4CE863-2135-000002A534997DF4_zps427ec992.jpg

duplicolor universal black with 2K clear over it. No sanding/buffing done....this is straight out of the gun (granted I used a quality gun rather than the $15 Harbor Freight gun)

20140412_102044_zpsiyoogjje.jpg

Gotta question...considering this will take days to do correctly, is there any harm in letting the parts sit during each phase for a week or so? For example, after you go through the steps listed to prime, can they sit indefinitely and then pick back up to do color, and same with clear?

This is assuming a proper controlled storage of the parts of course.

1sttimer said:
Gotta question...considering this will take days to do correctly, is there any harm in letting the parts sit during each phase for a week or so? For example, after you go through the steps listed to prime, can they sit indefinitely and then pick back up to do color, and same with clear?

This is assuming a proper controlled storage of the parts of course.

There are different schools of thought there.
Depends on who you ask.
If something sits for too long I usually give it a quick sand just to make sure I have a good surface to grip to for the next layer.

SONIC. said:
There are different schools of thought there.
Depends on who you ask.
If something sits for too long I usually give it a quick sand just to make sure I have a good surface to grip to for the next layer.

Cool, thanks Sonic. I should have prefaced...it wouldn't be for a year or anything like that...just more like a couple weeks while time frees up. I'm super excited to try out the method.

Every paint is different, follow the directions on the can. Most are about 48hrs. I've painted after the times and have no issues but the adherence issue is still a potential. I never sand between layers. If you prep it good enough you only need to wetsand the clear which again in most cases if layed properly and prepped properly only makes it that much better after the buff.

Most recent rattle can. This is dry to the touch without wetsand/buff yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 244
  • image.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 211
This is my attempt, first couple of coats of clear a few more before a cut back and buff.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20140921_113317 (Medium).jpg
    20140921_113317 (Medium).jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 315
  • 20140921_113328 (Medium).jpg
    20140921_113328 (Medium).jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 312
Re: "RATTLE CAN" BLING! ...everything is here!

Those pictures ^^ lead me to a general question. Is protocol usually to apply decals before any clear right on the base coat, or do you spray a few coats of clear, cut and buff, apply decals and then cut and buff again?

I was told to apply decals then multiple coats of clear then cut and buff.
Just remember to take the protective sticker of the decals first before clearing I learnt the hard way :mad:. But managed to save the decals and paint.

20141015_193155.jpg

20141015_193820.jpg

Just paint, I'll be clearing this weekend with Spraymax 2k. This will be the third tank I've done with it. Paint is Duplicolor rattle can.

onetruepunk87 said:
20141015_193155.jpg

20141015_193820.jpg

Just paint, I'll be clearing this weekend with Spraymax 2k. This will be the third tank I've done with it. Paint is Duplicolor rattle can.
Great job!!!!!

For a rattle can the duplicolor lays really nice. I've been extremely please with it. Looks great btw.

Keith

Tifun said:
For a rattle can the duplicolor lays really nice. I've been extremely please with it. Looks great btw.

Keith

Thanks, it's all in the prep work! Here it is with the clear coat.
20141018_180404.jpg

Back
Top Bottom