kz400 vs. XS650-which would make a better STREET tracker?

Kev Nemo

Honda Hacker
so my buddy is thinking of selling one of his projects to fund the other. I vote for the XS650 as the motor is better (I assume) at highway speeds and was run more recently. Both need about equal work, but the KZ has a carb made of unobtanium and it's been impossible to track one down. Thoughts?

I think there are more parts available for turning a xs into a street tracker, if he wants to go that route.
If it was equal amont of work my pick would be the kaw, just to be different.

Kev Nemo said:
so my buddy is thinking of selling one of his projects to fund the other. I vote for the XS650 as the motor is better (I assume) at highway speeds and was run more recently. Both need about equal work, but the KZ has a carb made of unobtanium and it's been impossible to track one down. Thoughts?

The XS has the tradition. Mikuni makes carbs that will suit either bike. The 650 carbs are a pain too, so don't count that as a negative yet. I'd go with whichever is nicer to start. The seat and tail stuff can be adapted to either bike if that's the plan.

eric123 said:
How are XS650 carbs a pain?...I own a few XS650's and do have any problems..

If the early CV carbs screw up or need jetting/parts it's not always the easiest thing to find and work with. A friend fought with the carbs on his XS and even with the help at the shop, couldn't get it to work quite right. Same is true with the Mikuni OEM slide carb on the SRs like mine. Can't get needles and stuff easily. One reason so many SRs and XSs run the round slide VM carbs (as well as the flat slides and such), parts and easier tuning. Sudco has it all.

I'd vote for the XS just because it has the better looking engine!

Best regards
Sven

JRussell said:
I think there are more parts available for turning a xs into a street tracker, if he wants to go that route.
If it was equal amont of work my pick would be the kaw, just to be different.

Much of the XS stuff is simply flat track stuff that can be fitted to about anything. The parts that can't would be pipes and a few things like that. The tail sections, tanks and such can be fitted fairly easily I'd think.

I'd go with the Kawi just 'cause I'm biased. My first real street bike was a LTD400 & was completely indestructible! 'Leaky' almost killed me a million times but I never killed her! She saw a lot of dirt action too.

I know nothing of XS650 carbs but I can agree that the Kawi's carbs are a bitch! Keep the stock air box, open it up some & install a K&N filter. Trust me.

Kev Nemo said:

I'd do the 650 just because. I don't think either has any major advantage on the highway, but years from now there will be 650 parts available and down pat due to the racing. The KZ never has been a popular bike to modify so there isn't the plethora of information and stuff for them. You want a hotter cam, carbs, or pipes? 650 - no problem, KZ400 - good luck. Besides, the 650 has a bit more classic look to the engine and has the heritage on the track.

Well if I had my choice I would want the fastest with the best parts availability and that would be the xs650. I would love to own an xs 650.

Define "Better"

The Excess will be more powerful and make a better sound and more parts are available, but they are getting to be like arseholes - everyone has one. :eek:

Just kidding there. They are the most common basis for a tracker though.

The little KZ isn't cut form the same cloth, but there's no reason it can't be turned into something cool and unique.

It all comes down to what you want it to end up like. Start, as they say, with the end in mind. Then work out which would be a better starting pint for your journey.

Back
Top Bottom