82 Kaw Spectre project

kevineleven

Started around 8/10 as a stocker. 1982 Kawasaki KZ750N Spectre. There was a little twist in the trees, a leaky seal, and a dying battery when I began. I'm not doing a whole lot more performance oriented than pods and rejetting and exhaust. Everything else will be cosmetic. I'll try to update as it progresses.

750.jpg

blue.jpg

dcfn0058.jpg

dcfn0065.jpg

dcfn0066.jpg

dcfn0067.jpg

That will eventually yellow up and chip off the sanded steel part. That's the bad news. The good news is thjat it should stay on the painted part...

--Chris

I hope it does last, because it's looks killer! I wonder if clear powder coating might give a better result?

If I get a couple years out of it, I'll be happy. I tend to get bored rather quickly and I'll probably be looking to rebuild by then. Who knows.

looks great so far!!..
you should have no problems with the clear coat as long as you use enought of it.
I sanded my tank down to bare metal and used 2 cans fo clear and its holding up Ok.

Yeh, I have 2 cans of Duplicolor high heat clear on it. It hold up well to gas spills, as for longevity, we'll have to wait and see.

New seat pan came today, I'm super stoked, despite the hassle/run-around of buying it through ebay. Too bad-- it's a great product, and I'd be inclined to buy more if the seller wasn't such a kook. Anyways, I got the mounting brackets all welded in and except for a couple bushings to level it out, I'm really pleased with the outcome.

dcfn0087.jpg

dcfn0088.jpg

dcfn0089.jpg

dcfn0090.jpg

Nice seat. Where did you find it on ebay? What was bad about the seller? I'm thinking of making my own seat out of FG, but if I can find one that is pretty much the shape I want, I'd probably spring a few bucks for it.

rudy said:
Nice seat. Where did you find it on ebay? What was bad about the seller? I'm thinking of making my own seat out of FG, but if I can find one that is pretty much the shape I want, I'd probably spring a few bucks for it.

The pan is fiberglass. The seller is a kook. He lied about the ship date, sent me a wrong tracking number, stopped answering my emails making me think my package was delivered to someone 500 miles away, then accused me of recieving the seat and trying to claim I hadn't. I filed claims through paypal and ebay and miraculously he found the correct tracking number that day. First real problem I've had with buying on ebay. Sucks though, because it's a super good product, I'd buy more if the seller wasn't a moron.

Threw the engine in last night with the help of a couple friends and Miller High Life. Fired it up for a couple minutes and all seems to reassembled correctly. I still have a lot of work to do-- seat, lighting being the main issues. Hopefully I'll be complete and on the road in a day or 2. I'll try to get it out in the sun for some better pics today.

dcfn0171.jpg

dcfn0167.jpg

Been tinkering the past week or two, waiting for parts to arrive, and dealing with other crap. Major progress today though. Got the Dynojet kit in and dialed in, new battery that was causing major headaches, front signals mounted, seat finished up, and went for a quick ride around the block. I'm gonna need some clutch plates, and a shifter rod seal, but after that and the rear illumination, I'll be rolling strong. I let a couple buddys take a spin on it tonight, and I'm super stoked on how it looks rolling down the road. Pics forthcoming.

Kz's lookin good.

That a new seat on the Maxim chop?
(Obviously recognize it from xjbikes site)

BTW, what size tire do you have squeezed on the back of the maxim?
Any Rub on the shaft housing?

Same seat on the Maxim-- been there since the stocker came off. The springs have come and gone a couple times, with the shock/strut changes. The tire is stock size too, 130 90 16.

kevineleven said:
Same seat on the Maxim-- been there since the stocker came off. The springs have come and gone a couple times, with the shock/strut changes. The tire is stock size too, 130 90 16.

The stock rear is a 120... Isn't it?
If it's the same as the Seca.

I was going up a size when I bought my 130.

Looked bigger... probably just because of the whitewalls and the struts.

Back
Top Bottom