My latest project, the Katana!

tobiism

Been Around the Block
I was so stoked to find this on Craigslist. Mostly complete for $200!
194_9441.jpg

194_9440.jpg

194_9443.jpg

194_9444.jpg

holy moses man! Does it run at all? I know it was only 200 bucks, but its a bit dodgy dont ya think?

I would get it running, paint it the cheapest color I could find (as in go to the paint store and find a color that came out as an accident and just run with that one)

then ride the hell out of it. literally ride it in the most wreckless way I can to the point where people see it around town and go "oh shit, its that guy"

TonUpSoldier said:
holy moses man! Does it run at all? I know it was only 200 bucks, but its a bit dodgy dont ya think?

Nope doesn't run at the moment, but she will! Come on man, ya gotta have vision!!!

xcaptainxbloodx said:
I would get it running, paint it the cheapest color I could find (as in go to the paint store and find a color that came out as an accident and just run with that one)

then ride the hell out of it. literally ride it in the most wreckless way I can to the point where people see it around town and go "oh shit, its that guy"

I really like the way you think man! Thats awesome ;D

Nice, i wish i could find one of those bikes, even in that shape. You have a real gem there (once you clean all the crap off of her. If you are interested, I have parts for that which would help you along the way (brakes, rims w/good tires, odds and ends) which came off my bike.

Cheers

Druro said:
Nice, i wish i could find one of those bikes, even in that shape. You have a real gem there (once you clean all the crap off of her. If you are interested, I have parts for that which would help you along the way (brakes, rims w/good tires, odds and ends) which came off my bike.

Cheers

Hi, thanks for the offer. What size front rim do you have? This one has a 19", which surprised me. I'm thinking I'm going to run this one on 17"s so I can get some premium rubber on there.
I've been looking for one of these for awhile, so I have to admit I was pretty excited when I found it.

tobiism said:
Hi, thanks for the offer. What size front rim do you have? This one has a 19", which surprised me. I'm thinking I'm going to run this one on 17"s so I can get some premium rubber on there.
I've been looking for one of these for awhile, so I have to admit I was pretty excited when I found it.

It's a 19" rim, same as what you have there (different style though). Let me know if you are interested in the parts, as they might help you get on the road faster.

xcaptainxbloodx said:
... ride the hell out of it. literally ride it in the most wreckless way I can to the point where people see it around town and go "oh shit, its that guy"

Hahah, man you would fit in well with my buddies... I swear that could be a quote from any one of my closest by's.

There is definitely potential there for a nice fighter.

Looking forward to the progress. My girlfriend's brother has an old Katana that he might be willing to part with, already sans fairings. ;D
Might have to make a deal.

Fear My Twin said:
So any updates with the Star Wars bike? I love it!

I have a neighbour that has one...calls it a Land Shark.
Also have a friend building a 7/11 (1100 in a 750 frame) Katana "Star Wars/Land Shark" Street Fighter. GSXR USD forks, 17" wheels, Ducati Monster subframe and seat, 1230cc if I remember right, and I believe it's a ZZR1100 swingarm he's looking for. He has a Hayabusa swingarm for sale in the in the classifieds here.

196_9647.jpg

So far I've got the frame stripped of all unnecessary brackets, including the original footrest triangles that jutted out from the subframe. The next step is to apply the proper frame bracing, as used on the Yoshi race bikes. Then I'll make the alloy battery box/electrical mount.
I stripped the tank to see what shape it was in and only have two small dents to fix. I have a few cracks in the fairing that need fixing, but they're not too bad.
I bought my GSXR/Katana 17" rear rim, and am looking for my USD forks and a Katana front wheel.
I had a wild hair up my ass last night and took some sandcloth to the swingarm, and she started cleaning up really nice.
So its moving along, just a little slow!

Seems like it's not goin that slow at all to me.

Keep er goin and keep us posted!
Do I see a sick streetfighter in the future? Or a nice restored musclebike?

tobiism said:
I was so stoked to find this on Craigslist. Mostly complete for $200!

ahhh... poor pussy kat.... needs a big hug :'(

Well I got my 17" rear Katana rim, and got started on bracing the frame. I ran out of gas for my MIG, so I can't finish the rest of the braces until I get more gas. Its getting there!
200_0039.jpg

201_0178.jpg

So heres an update, as I haven't put one up in quite awhile.
I'm making my own rearsets, and adapting Nissin 4 pot calipers.
I've gotten the Michelin Pilot Powers mounted to the later model Katana rims.
I also added a modern GSXR steering dampener inside the fairing.
The battery tray is finished and mounted.
She's getting closer and I'm really anxious to fire it up!
My next project is going to be modifying the R-6 caliper to mount under the swingarm.
211_1149.jpg

211_1151.jpg

211_1154.jpg

211_1153.jpg

211_1146.jpg

208_0854.jpg

208_0856.jpg

208_0892.jpg

Plus I got my slingshot 36mm Miks

Nice! What are you using to cut the alloy plate? Also, do you have the dimensions and any info on the battery?

Back
Top Bottom