Beachcomber's Tales from the day

Like MAx Hoof, I preferred Sitters to kneelers. As you probably remember, Deubel went back to a sitter after a year with the kneeler. Eventually he had to go with the flow just to keep up.

My right knee is also giving me problems [ American football injury ] but strangely is OK once bent, but give me real pain to bear weight [ as a kneeler ].

I've had a couple of ex. race outfits on the road waaay back - in those days - pre health and safety - plod wasn't too bothered about a passenger without a "seat". Not sure that would work so well these days !

One was a low sitter [ like Max's ] and the other was a kneeler - both with Triumph 500 Grand Prix lumps. The sitter was much more user friendly - that's when I had TWO good knees !

The last Rennsport motor I saw for sale [ 1989 !] went for £10K AND needed a rebuild.

I had a friend in Ireland years ago who built a sitter. The frame was on the lines of a "squashed" featherbed. 16" wheels, 650 Triumph (single carb. T Bird?). Had it hooked to an old Steib. The Steib had a 19" wheel and made the whole outfit look odd. Then his wife got pregnant and he swapped it for the sporty (can't remember the model) Watsonian D/A. Looked much better. I know in Ireland we got away with an awful lot of crap that wouldn't be tolerated today. I think the EEC has a lot to answer to.

Sorry for the delay guys - suffered a PC virus attack and as a result my PC is still infected [ don't worry this is courtesy of my Daughter's lap -top! ]

My PC is in for a deep clean next week and I'll get the next Tale up when all is back to normal.

Just thought id say: this has been the coolest thread ever! Beachcomber and hoof, I think you two could publish a book of the stories you guys have. They remind me of some of the moonshine running stories my grandfather was involved in back in the 50s and 60s in central florida. Stuff like this can't be made up or copied in hollywood, its just too cool!

Thanx for the encouragement MrE -

guess some of the stories could be viewed a bit cynically - but believe me - every word is true.

You have to have lived through the day -you can't fabricate or dream up the tales. For us it was part of everyday life, and as me and Hoof have previously stated - a much "gentler" time. 8)

Due to aforementioned hacker, my e-mail and some of my programmes have disappeared / been infected, so things have slowed uo while my own PC is being deep cleaned.However the next tale is almost ready and I'll write it up and post as soon as my PC is back.

The next story is case in point, and in fact contains a little sub-tale - which will definitely raise a few eyebrows - but fact none the less.

I'm sure just like me, Hoof enjoys re-telling these tales - a bit like the ancient [ careful ] elders in Druid days passing on tales round the camp fire so the folklore didn't get lost forever.

B.C you need a Mac. they never get sick.Ive had the same laptop for years.
Never crashed,never hacked. And I go to some dodgy web pages ( like this).
any way my two cent.
Hope your are feeling better and Im sure I can speak for all in saying looking forward to more tales.

+1 on the mac. My next one will be!

And we eagerly await the next story! I've been telling my wife a lot of your stories b.c., just to convince her the fun I got into in my younger days is pretty mild and safe. Of course, that doesn't do much to convince her that im being safe and never break the speed limit now haha...

Hey Mr. T. Eararse!! Wheres the next story? I'm curious to find out how you became Mr. T. Eararse. I once entered a race as I. P. Freeley but they didn't buy it.

Hey Hoof - like the Hoofhearted much better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - much more subtle than Hugh Jampton, or Ivor Biggun, etc .,etc.
Back in the day "non de plumes" were regularly accepted, and the licensing arrangements were much less enquiring.I simply got a pal to register as the aforementioned Mr.T. Eararse and then signed on as such. I seem to remember there was a period [ 70's??] when if you lost your road licence for whatever reason, your Comp licence was also withdrawn. THAT brought about some interesting names and deviations!

The good news [ ??? ] is that the new tale is written up and waiting to air - the bad news is that I don't get my PC back for another week! Not long now.

Theres a forum I visit with a couple of clever people. Hugh Jass and Patina Turner and Edsel Presley (its an old car forum). If you remember some of the old book jokes. One was Revenge of the Tiger by Claude Balls. I did enter a meeting as Claude Balls and got away with it. I have the program out the garage somewhere.

Then there was the Russian Mother's book "Baby's Revenge" by Nora Nipplesoff.

Anyway - here's the latest delayed tale - hope you enjoy it ........

Beachcomber’s Tales from the Day – May 2011

“The Missing Motorcyclist 2 – and the G45 at Ted’s”

OK, bit of a delay with this one - various health and computer probs – both now resolved.

Back to roundabouts with this tale, and the Matchless G45 mini tale is worth the telling, but not worth a whole tale – if you see what I mean!

The Summer of 1966 – seemed to go on for ever and no significant rain meant long rides into the early morning hours.

On this occasion the “posse” had been off to see about scoring some talent in Southend, and Dommie Dave [ he of the batshit incident at the Blinking Owl ] who attracted birds like a super magnet attracted metal – had scored a particularly spectacular bird, who just happened to live near our Romford “base” and was eager to get a lift back home. Don’t know what it’s like in the US, but here in the UK it’s an unwritten law that when Birds go out in a group, there’s always a donkey amongst them ! This time there were 3 birds all needing to get back home at the end of the evening – as usual 2 lookers and one dog ………………. OK, call me sympathetic [ or unlucky] so I ended up “volunteering” to take the “dog” home. Actually it was more like I was the slowest one to get off the mark and all my “mates” had scarperred, leaving just me and the dog. Well, couldn’t leave her there so I said if she could fit her ass on the bump seat [ long Manx ] – she could have a lift.

Bear in mind that these birds had gone to Southend by train and were not best dressed for bike riding………. Visualize a knee length flared skirt with fluffy petticoats – oh yes and stockings and garter belts were still the fashion. Swinging a leg over a bike could often give you a glimpse of that stairway to heaven.

Anyway – mates had long gone before I got Beryl [ for that was her name – what a memory ] safely ‘ish installed on the back of the Triton. Even though it was only a 500 – it was still mighty rapid as it was fitted with a TJ tuned Grand Prix engine. OK – it was one of the first ex. Government auction sale Triumph generator sets [ ex. RAF ], which in turn is what Triumph sold as the Grand Prix. Now I’m not cynical enough to think that there was Triumph at war’s end with 1000’s of generator sets – and no customer, wondering what to do with them – instant Race engine!

Anyway, the bike was quick and I soon caught up with the lads. Most of you will know if you ever take pillions [ I haven’t for the past 40 years ] – there’s good and bad. Some follow your every move just as if they weren’t there – and others lean the wrong way or panic / scream in your ear when you start pushing on. These normally only get on the pillion once. Well, Beryl was one of the former – actually she was very slim and had a verrry good body [ allegedly ] and was the ideal passenger. And due to the serious lack of space to perch her pert ass, she needed to cling on tightly. I’m not certain whether by pure chance she decided that my wedding tackle was the most appropriate point to attach her vice like grip to, or by design……………[OK, later found out is was by design.] There followed a most pleasant 30 mile ride back to the Blinking Owl where we had all decided to meet up as the night was still hot and inviting.

As the girls lived near Gallows Corner roundabout, we decided to go back via the Lay Bye to see who was around. By this time [ 2.0am ] most of the lads had called it a night and either gone off home or to one of the all night Transport Caffs. It was one of those nights that you wanted to go on forever, and even Beryl was looking more inviting by the minute.

So we all decided to see the night out with a visit to Ted’s Caff, just off the Gallows Corner roundabout.

Now did I mention that when I caught up with the group earlier, the girls’ dresses were billowing out behind them, and somehow they had forgotten to put any knickers on? That got me wondering about Beryl’s dress habits…….

So off to Ted’s down the Southend Arterial [ Bye Pass] and we were approaching Gallows Corner roundabout at a rapid rate of knots, I’d just got ahead of Dommie Dave and his gorgeous pillion and anchored up real quick – the John Tickle 2LS Manx front brake doing the business – so much so that the rear wheel hopped up in the air by about 6”. Nothing for a modern bike, but unusual in the day.
Anyway, Beryl also came off the seat hump by a similar distance – and it was about this time that Dommie Dave following, realized that Beryl had also forgotten to put any knickers on that night !!!!!!!!!!

I negotiated the roundabout and we all pulled up at Ted’s, only to realize that Dommie Dave was missing. As he’d been on a serious promise from the time he picked his bird up – we assumed he’d decided to take in a bit of horizontal exercise and ride off to our favourite “bird park”.

We soon forgot all about Dave – especially when an old Thames van pulled up outside Ted’s and the driver wheeled out a Matchless G45 race bike [ 500cc Twin ].

“Anyone want this for £35” was his opening remark. Now £35 represented nearly 3 weeks’ wages for us apprentices, but never the less was extremely cheap considering the race bike was worth about £400.

“What’s the catch” we asked as one. “No catch - £35 and take over the drip” [ credit ].

One of the lads couldn’t resist it as he’d written off his own bike 2 weeks before [ AJS CSR] and the G45 was his dream machine. The deal had to be done there and then, as matey was doing the rounds of all the Bike Caffs in the area. We managed to scrape up £20 between the lot of us [ about 15 guys ] and Ted stumped up the balance out of the till.

By now it was starting to get light and we were wondering where Dave was as he would certainly have come back to the Caff – if only to give us graphic blow by blow accounts of his latest conquest.

We thought - fuckit leave him to it, and headed back to Gallows Corner to go to our various homes . As we approached we spotted the bird that Dave had been with, staggering about on the top of the grassed area of the roundabout. Initially we assumed that Dave had perversely decided to do the business on top of the roundabout.

“What have you done with Dave” we all wanted to know, but she was obviously dazed and not at all with it. We parked up the bikes and went onto the island to search for Dave amongst the flowers and shrubs. We eventually found him, and his bike – he was moaning and groaning [ broke his collarbone ], but as usual more interested in the condition of his bike.

“What the bloody hell happened Dave?”

“Well I was just about to take you on the roundabout [ yes of course you were Dave ] and that bird of yours gave me the full moon treatment – what an ass” ………………………………………………………

So concluded a memorable night’s ride out -and Beryl......... yes I hung around with her for 2 or 3 weeks, she was also memorable – but not for her good looks.

Nice one BC, damn good story :D
I bet Dave was okay with taking a dip in the bushes after seeing "the moon" ;)

Thinking about it - he got to see a bush before going in the bushes !!!!!

No Brazilians, or any other fancy "haircuts" in those days 8) 8)

Love it BC! I never got that lucky but I did get "flashed" once by a sweet young girl at Mondello Park.

I was doing highway construction one summer running a broom/ sweeper. 'Got flashed by some bird on the back of a bike :)

One other memory popped into my head - when I caught up with the group after leaving Southend, I picked up the sight of the two pillion birds and at first thanx to the Prince of darkness' feeble impressions of a headlamp - couldn't quite see clearly. Now in those days, even on head beam you couldn't see an aweful lot and a lot of car drivers thought it was clever to flash motorcyclists coming the other way on their main beams.

So it was a rule in the day, you left the attachment bolts slightly loose, so that you could manually raise the whole headlight - and thus the beam to get you own back.

So- as I approached the lads with the knickerless pillions - I raised the headlamp a tad until the relevant areas of their anatomy were bathed in a sort of spotlight effect - perverse - me ??????

What a way to crash...guess that WOULD be a bit distracting!
Just got flashed (by a car, not a girl) last night-may have to try the movable headlamp trick, especially since it sound like it can be very useful sometimes ;)

Back
Top Bottom