Beachcomber's Tales from the day

kroonoverdrive said:
So I just finished reading this 28 page thread after a few days.

I just want to thank all involved especially beach comber for giving us young guns a history lesson (in a good way). I really have enjoyed your tales (inspiring).

I would definetly read a book with tales such as these inside.

Thanx Kroon,

that was the whole purpose of starting this thread - to give folks under 50 an idea of what it was like in the beginnings of the Cafe Racer era. Actually, anyone under 60 would have virtually missed the Golden years.
I spoke with the Artist John Hancox during the week, and he's busy putting the finishing touches to images for the DTT Calendar and one-off prints. He's also committed to producing artwork and cartoons to go with "The Book".

I'm also busy revamping Tales for inclusion, in addition to collecting a few Tales from other folk - plus there'll be some new stuff from my memory banks.

Hell, looks like we've alrady got pre-orders for at least 5 books !!!!!!!!!!!!

Consider it seven pre-orders. My dad is from that era and while he was a car guy rather than a biker (he still misses his mini) he will love the stories and of course I'll be needing a copy for myself too.

Consider that done Morgan - guess I'll have to make some time to do some autographed copies for my DTT mates ;)

John is very busy at the moment - his artistic interests are not just automotive and he's a talented artist in the real sense of the word.

I just happen to be very fortunate that he has a passion for the era and the bikes.

He "knows" the bikes first hand - and is well aware of the subtle differences between each model.

I'm shooting for completion about this time next year - earlier if I can.

Consider it 8 pre orders! I already told my wife I want a copy of this when its available. I may have to get my dad a copy too cause he grew up on 2 wheels in central Florida in the 60's.

Mr.E said:
Consider it 8 pre orders! I already told my wife I want a copy of this when its available. I may have to get my dad a copy too cause he grew up on 2 wheels in central Florida in the 60's.

Jeez guys, I'll have to up the initial print run into double figures at this rate !!!!

Seriously, nearer the publishing date I'll organise something to get pre-orders out to a drop ship address for you guys out there in DTT land.

With da management's permission I'll try to get something DTT orientated into the mix.

Maybe we'll use one or two of the DTT Calendar prints in the book. Everyone seems to like the one of a certain XS650 !!!!!!!

I might even be very selfish and make the other one my old Manx / Goldie which John is currently revamping. Attached the "work in progress" print - John wasn't happy with it and is working it over. BTW - mine is the "Black" one - ex-race bike.

img239.jpg

Yes and this was one he wasn't happy with !!!!

I have to say that the one of Tim's XS650 set the benchmark - everyone [ including John ] says it absolutely captures the era - both bike and rendering.

For that reason he is going back over all the work he's done to date for the DTT Calendar [ Norvin, Bonnie, Goldie, Matchless CSR, Connie, Rocket Gold Star and BMW Airhead and my Manx / Goldie] to put some "atmosphere" in them.

Looks like the calendar will now be available for next year, with individual prints from the calendar being available on heavy art card for framing from the New Year.

At our meeting last week we also discussed the possibilty of mugs and Tee's.

I've now had the OK from da management to incorporate DTT referrences in the Book, artwork and Tees. 8)

John already has quality Tees done for his other artwork interests - so he has a good connection with the garment suppliers and the printers.

I'm hoping to get a couple of samples made up this side of Christmas.

Also this side of Christmas - one more Tale, this one from my sidecar days ::) [ roadgoing ].

wow, just had 10 of the revamped John Hancox artwork prints...........I'll post 1 or 2 with John's permission. Oh boy....the BMW racer and Constellation had me in awe.

OK ......... probably the last Tale before Christmas. If my plans DO work this year I WILL be in Saxony for the holidays. As long as we don't get our airports closed down with snow again like last year!

Anyway - as promised this one has a Sidecar flavour..................

Beachcomber’s Tales from the Day - November 2011

“Chariots- or 3 Wheels on my Wagon”.

This tale finds the young [ ‘ish ] Beachcomber with a Wife, newborn Daughter and the beginnings of respectability – ie house, job – general responsibilities.

The solos [ roadgoing at least ] had temporarily given way to a hybrid sidecar outfit – as usual born from what was lying around in the garage – Triumph Ton-Ten frame [ result of liberating the 650 lump for yet another Tribsa ], Constellation engine / box and sidecar trail Constellation forks. Naturally with clip-ons, rearsets, Goldie 5gall GRP tank – the usual kit. This was attached to a Garrard Grand Prix chair with the luxury of sidecar brake and all running on 16” alloy rimmed spoke wheels all round with ex. Race sidecar tyres – courtesy of Chris Vincent via Tom Kirby ! The whole bike was so low that when you looked from the sidecar side – the bike wasn’t visible!

Why the chair? Well at 7 months pregnant Mrs. B [1st] was too damn big to fit on my newly acquired ex. Bob McIntyre / Ray Knight Thruxton Connie. The “bump” caused her to sit right on the very back and after one or two near misses with her nearly disappearing off the seat safer transport was deemed a good idea.

Sure, I still had the race transport van – but it’s not a bike is it? I’d had several forays on the race track with a chair and quite liked the idea – AND you got 50% discount on your insurance when you fitted a chair.

There were 6 of us “Charioteers” in our mob – John Barker’s Rocket Gold Star / Steib, Pete Collins AJS 650 CSR / Monaco and some rich kid with a 500cc BMW / Steib [ what else ! ], and my mate Maurice – BSA / Monza - he of the Cemetery Tale and a very good old pal Micky Carpenter who had a brand new BMW 650 / Steib - courtesy of a drunk car driver putting him in hospital and Micky ending up with a permanently locked left leg.

We were no where near quick enough to stay with the solo lads on the straights, but could give them a good run for their money when the twisty bits came up – and especially if it rained ! So, we tended to end up “racing” each other – another reason for Mrs. B to bail out. Dave Barker went on to race on the Island and UK Club events. Dave and I were pretty evenly matched, but that had a great deal to do with my engine performance rather than my skill.

One advantage charioteers had [ generally ] was the ability to take an additional passenger – which was great for social events - but not so good when it came to burn-ups! Me and Dave didn’t have that problem as we both had single race seats ! We also had our outfits set up as circuit race outfits using loads of sidecar wheel lead and toe out. They were mighty around the bends and especially the roundabouts. We could even give stock Bonnies and Rockets a run for their money on the “lay-bye” circuit with the two big roundabouts at each end. Hoof – you’d have been proud of the full on drifts around them! That’s where we made up the ground on the solos. For my US and Canadian cousins, the chair was on the left – and of course driving on the left then roundabouts became enormous right hand [ ie drifting ] bends.

Anyway, that sets the scene for this Tale. Another beautiful sunny evening after a day down at Southend soaking up the atmosphere and we all found our way back to the lay-bye for a Hot Dog and a wind down before trundling off home. I ended up with one of the temporarily bikerless lads in the chair, with strict instructions to hang out over the seat or chair wheel when prompted. After the 3rd time the sidecar wheel aviated to the point of about 30 degrees on left handers – he suddenly got the survival instinct and hung out over the chair wheel like a pro.
By now I’d moved out of Grandma’s and had a maisonette in a little village called Hornchurch. The route from the lay-bye to Hornchurch involved riding down most of the lay-bye route to Gallows Corner where a further mile down the dual carriageway I’d turn off on a direct route to Hornchurch. In those days this was still somewhat of a twisty narrow road and strangely de-restricted [ speed ] for most of the way. Dave and BMW man both took this route home, so around 2 o’clock in the morning we were all heading back in convoy. Just as we pulled up at the lights waiting to turn off on the Hornchurch road a bunch of guys in a Ford Anglia [ 105E – NOT the Pop ] came past us way too fast to catch the lights turning Green and clipped Dave’s sidecar wheel – giving him an instant puncture – AND a fiberglass repair bill ! We checked that Dave was OK and then gave chase to the Anglia lads to have a short, sharp discussion with them about their driving. By the time we had sorted Dave out – the car driver was well down the lane and my outfit was the only one quick enough to catch them – which we did on a long sweeping left hander at the bottom of a hill. You could almost see the look of horror in the driver’s eyes when he saw my outfit catching him at a fair rate of knots – he then tried to take the bend way too fast for his basically family car and totally lost it, demolishing a low brick wall on a house on the outside of the bend and ending up in a pond in the front garden.

Ooooops, best get out of here. After a cursory glance to make sure all the occupants were at least in one piece – I decided not to get involved with the inevitable interrogation by plod. Just as I was pulling away a coincidentally passing Police car came round the bend from the other direction to witness the mayhem – and my unmistakable outfit!

So the rest of the journey home was undertaken at warp factor 3 and the chair put away in my garage for a few weeks for the heat to die down. Oh yes, my partner in crime passenger had to walk home !

The event made the local papers with rabid headlines of “Reckless young car driver demolishes wall after burn up”. Several weeks later when my outfit was back on the road – albeit with a colour change from Silver to Red [ !! ] – I was pulled over by plod in Hornchurch high street and indeed given a delayed third degree about where I’d been on that morning, etc. However, I just denied everything and that was that.

Yes sidecars are immense fun. What you also have to remember is that in the late 50’s sidecars were seen as daily transport for the “working man”. As the 50’s gave way to the swinging 60’s – cheap cars like the Mini and Anglia + the universally available “drip” [ credit ] meant that the family man could now afford to give up the sidecar [ and to a degree solos ] in favour of cheap and comparatively reliable 4 wheel motoring.

Funnily enough whilst drafting up this tale I had a trawl on E-bay and found a Monza sidecar for £50 ……. [ $90 US ?]………no, no, no , no, NO, NO………maybe?

I honestly had no idea how cool sidecar racing was until I saw some action on thethe track at barber this year. Kinda making me want to fit a chair myself... and with a baby due in march it would make perfect sense to be able to take the missus and lil pooper along on rides right? Great story, I really am eager for the book to come along sometime as well. Just got a copy of "ace times,"I and have really enjoyed giving it a read too for all the history.

Mr.E said:
I honestly had no idea how cool sidecar racing was until I saw some action on thethe track at barber this year. Kinda making me want to fit a chair myself... and with a baby due in march it would make perfect sense to be able to take the missus and lil pooper along on rides right? Great story, I really am eager for the book to come along sometime as well. Just got a copy of "ace times,"I and have really enjoyed giving it a read too for all the history.

The perfect transport! I ran around for a long time on a Triton/Watsonian. The better half loved it as she didn't have to hang on to me. Plus you can carry things that you can't with a solo.

img110vc3.jpg

By weslake at 2007-12-05

Jeeeez Hoof,

everytime I see your outfit I get the urge again ! I came across a picture of John Barker's first road outfit in one of the Cafe Racer / Rocker books. I'll scan it and try to upload.

There's several old sports chairs been coming up on E-Bay recently - quite cheap - £100 - £200. ::) ::)

BTW Hoof, only kidding about the Ural ! My ultimate swansong [ should Ilive long enough ! ] WILL be the Max Deubel sitter outfit. I spoke again to the guys that have the relevant moulds and they are still sticking to £250 the set [ $400 ?]. It's all this talk of chairs and seeing your masterpiece Triton outfit !

Where I've got my place in Saxony you see loads of MZs, Urals, etc. lurking around in old barns / sheds. Whereas the old Eastern Block cars have started to become "collectors" pieces [ with collectors prices ! ] , bikes have just been consigned to the back of the shed. I came accross a good Ural [ if that's not an oxymoron ] 2 villages away from us, and when the guy saw me nosing around it offered it to me for 250 euros - again I was tempted.

Anyroadup - I "bumped into" an old mate from my biking days [courtesy of the Interweb ] and we had a long and rose tinted chat. The outcome was that he reminded me of several more "Tales" - some worth the telling. Maybe a final one before Christmas?

BTW - the "book" has now progressed to a rough story board format, and John Hancox is also sharpening his pencil in anticipation............... 8)

OK - there WILL be one more Tale this side of Christmas, and befittingly [ new word ] it involves a pal and a Christmas Romance [ read "lust" ]. Bikes involved, but mainly about youthful lusting after the fair sex.

"John, the fabulous Eurasian bird and the Araldite"

well here's the Christmas Tale - a bit early, but I hope to be in Snowy Saxony this year for the Christmas festivities.

Beachcomber’s Tales from the Day
“John, the fabulous Eurasian Bird and the Araldite” – November 2011

So here we are back in 1964 – the single [ as in not married ] Beachcomber and mates are enjoying a spectacularly good Summer of riding, fun and birds.

Work got in the way somewhat as I was at this time still working for other people – but that didn’t stop us enjoying our free time from Friday night and on through the weekend.

Usually Fridays were reserved for some serious riding with mates – up the lay-bye to see if there were any races to be had, or any challenges to be thrown down and then off to one or more of the rural Caffs. Usually things would quieten down by 2.0am ‘ish and most of us would head off home to recoup for Saturday’s fun and frollicks.

Generally, we wouldn’t venture too far on a Saturday – Southend sea front maybe, but usually back on our home turf by late afternoon. Why, when there was still riding to do? Well, Saturday night was Wykham Corn Exchange night [ local dance hall ], where we’d all gather to dance and more importantly attempt to score with the opposite sex ! So Saturday it was important to be home around 6.0 ‘ish to get ourselves spiv’d up for the night. It also allowed those of us that did drink to do just that as in the Winter months the bikes were left at home and you did your best to get a seat in a pal’s car.

Very few of the lads owned a car / van, but a few had older Brother’s that could be persuaded or bribed to loan their wheels out. One such was my pal John, another of the biker fraternity that never owned a bike, he was quite happy to grab a pillion ride any time he could. Saturday night the boot was on the other foot as his older Brother owned a Bedford Dormobile caravanette – a compact motorized shagging wagon ! The beauty of this particular vehicle was that there was no need to play contortionist if you did get lucky, as it had 2 pull down beds – and a cooker – and a chemical toilet, what more could your randy biker need? John and his Brother were very close and as he was some 6 years older than John he recognized the needs of early 20’s something blokes and was quite happy for his Dormobile to be used. The golden rule was that it was returned in one piece and full of petrol.

John was one of those lucky bastards that didn’t have to make any effort to pull a bird – they all but threw themselves at him. Naturally I made it a priority to give John as many pillion rides as he asked for, so that Saturday nights I was first in the queue for a seat [ bed ] in the Dormobile !

The Wycham attracted some up and coming live bands [ no fargin DJ’s there ] – people like Joe Brown, Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, Screaming Lord Such ……….Oh yes and some other blokes - Long John Baldry, Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck. The night was split in 2 sessions – a support group followed by an interval [ spent at the Golden Lion across the road ], and then the main attraction. The plan was to pull a likely bird before half time, get her into the mood with a few Scrumpy Ciders and then cement the liaison during the second half and then hopefully into the Dormobile and off to one of Essex’ quiet leafy lanes.

Now as stated, John didn’t have to work hard at this – in fact 9 times out of 10 he’d have birds taking HIM to the pub at half time. Never hurt to tag along with John in times like these as there was nearly always a surplus. Yes the unwritten rule was that one of the gang of girls would be a dog, but if you got in quick ………………

Anyway John was so used to getting birds fall at his feet, it came as quite a shock when a fabulous Eurasian bird turned up at the Wycham one night and despite John’s best efforts, she’d have nothing to do with him. John was so depressed by this rebuff that he didn’t even bother to get a second string bird for later.

A week later and John was still moaning about not getting this bird and generally getting on every one’s tits. Then one of the lads contacted me to say he’d seen said bird working in a store in Romford. Anyway, come Saurday and John went into the shop to see if he could persuade the girl to go the Wycham with him to the evening dance. He managed to persuade her that it was a proper date and that he really liked her, and she accepted. He called me at mid afternoon to ask if I could give him a pillion to go to pick his best suit up from the cleaners as he really wanted to make a good impression.

I had my roadgoing Tribsa at the time with a neat high cross-over Siamese exhaust exiting into a Goldie silencer on the right side. We made uneventful progress up to the Moby Dick roundabout – the scene of various Tales and situated at one end of the lay-bye. I couldn’t resist winding it up round the island, scraping the pegs and silencer on the way round. All was well until we came round the last part of the bend to find a fresh spill of diesel from one of the many lorries that used the arterial road. This was quite common in the 60’s before lorry emissions were tightened up. Anyway, down went the Tribsa in an even bigger shower of sparks, fortunately we didn’t hit anything and nothing hit us. Before the bike had fully come to rest I spotted that the end of the Goldie cone had broken off and was lying in the middle of what was a busy 2 lane road. I managed to retrieve that before anyone ran over it, and it was only then that I realised John was grubbing around on his hands and knees in the middle of the road, obviously dazed. I went over to him, but no he wasn’t dazed, he was looking for his crown from his front tooth that had come off in the crash !

I tried to pull him out of the road to stop him getting hit by traffic, but he insisted on looking for the broken tooth. As luck would have it he spotted it just before a car was about to run over it, almost getting squitted in the process.

“That was a pretty stupid thing to do, you could have got yourself killed” I offered. “Can’t go out on this date tonight with no front tooth” said the indignant John. “Fuck your tooth,” quoth I “look at my Goldie silencer”.

Anyway we collected John’s suit and I dropped him off at his place to get ready. A couple of hours later I went back round to get a lift to the dance and John came to the door really distressed. “I can’t go out with that bird like this” John said – I told him he looked fine, and he did until he opened his mouth to reveal a huge gap where his crown had been ! Too late for a dentist [ and too expensive ] – what to do ? Well, this wondrous stuff called Araldite [ or was it Loy ? ] had just become available on the market [ no rapid Araldite for another 35 years ], so I suggested that we fix his tooth with that. I tried to reason with him - “If it can fix my gearbox housing it can fix your bloody tooth”.

By this time he was desperate and willing to try anything. So off I went home again to get my tube of Araldite.

By the time I got back time was running out – only an hour to the appointed meet. So, we stuck the tooth back in place with a dob of Araldite, with strict instructions to keep his mouth clamped shut to give it time to set – hopefully. Remember this was in the early 60’s and the setting time for this adhesive was 24 hours ! It also gave new meaning to the phrase “glue sniffing “. So with John’s teeth clamped firmly shut we set off for the dance and the meeting with the girl of his desires.

Everything went reasonably well initially and I explained to fabulous Eurasian bird’s equally fabulous sister that John had lost his voice [ in 3 hours ???? ] and that was why he was talking like a ventriloquist. This somehow made John even more appealing to her and by half time in the pub she didn’t need any scrumpy to get her in the mood. As a bonus her sister thought I was an absolute saint for looking after him while he was ill.

So there we stood around the bar having a pint of Somerset’s best and John forgot all about the keeping teeth clamped instructions and was openly happy and smiling with the thought of things to come. I stood there in horror watching him as he was quite oblivious to his crown slowly sliding off the peg – obviously loosened by the alchohol. It seemed to happen in slow motion – the 3 of us were facing John and the look on the sister’s faces was like something out of a horror film. John was blissfully unaware of this and continued to smile at the girls, until the inevitable happened and the tooth fell into his pint glass.

Now really that should have been the end of it, but no - after we explained what had happened [ the truth for a change ] and the fact that John would do anything not to miss the date, and I of course had played an important role in that – the girls were sold.

Modesty forbids the telling of the next 4 hours antics in the Dormobile, but eventually everyone went home with a smile on their face !

And what became of fabulous Eurasion bird ? Well they got married a year later – I was the best man and the sister was the bridesmaid – and you KNOW the unwritten law about the best man and the bridesmaid right??

100_1797.jpg

That's definitely it for 2011.

There's quite a few more for next year, but with any luck I'm off to Saxony very shortly for my first German Christmas.

Hope you've all enjoyed the tales, I certainly enjoyed re-living them.

I now have all the new artwork from John Hancox for the Calendars and bike prints - and the story board has been completed for the "Book". John will be drawing up some suitable artwork to compliment the tales.

I also hope to have DTT Tees and mugs available with John's inimitable art. Final negotiations will be under way early in the New Year with da management to discuss marketing.

Happy Christmas all, and a healthy and happy New Year.

Back
Top Bottom