Shooter CB550 Progress (Pix )1 Dec - Exhaust

Shooter

Been Around the Block
Counting down to blast off now. Must be on home straight because there are not many bits left on my workbench.

Carbs installed - bit of a b*tch to do but got there in the end
Rear Brake lever and pegs done

Best moment - header and pipes are mounted. I am well pleased with these and cant wait to hear them when first fired up. I had them built and briefed the guy that I wanted a "note" and not a racket.

Wiring and electrix is progressing surprisingly well. Should have it nailed by tomorrow and ready for BLAST OFF next week.

Exhaustsm.jpg

Exhaust8sm.jpg

Exhaust7sm.jpg

Exhaust6sm.jpg

Exhaust5sm.jpg

Exhaust4sm.jpg

Exhaust3sm.jpg

Exhaust2sm.jpg

Exhaust1sm.jpg

Shooter that is FUCKIN sharp man! I love that exaust! is it coated or what? How are you keeping it from tarnishing? And are those carbs VM26SS's or the 29 smoothbores?? (the bodies look almost identical) Either way they are GREAT mechanical carbs. Got the push/pull set up going? Might be a good idea if ya dont...otherwise if the throttle return spring snaps, HANG ON BUDDY and hit the kill switch fast! lol

I agree,that exhaust is WICKED Dude! Looks like Hot Jet coating to me.

What frame color is that? Looks like a pearl silver or something.

NOt sure what the carb bodies set is - how do I find out? (Kehilins ?)

Frame is powder coated Pearl Silver as you noted.

Exhaust is Procoated. I liked the dullish silver / metal feel of it. Fits into my "reveal the steel " theme and I do not think they tarnish.

I was intending to use the dual throttle to carb cable system. Man...you have given me some thing to think about now. :eek: - have this ever happened ?

Best Solution I can think of - I will put a brand new spring on it instead of trusting the thirty year old one.

They look like Mikuni carbs to me, which were a very common carb from that era also (the VM26SS were mechanicly operated slide carbs used on almost all Kaws and Zooks before the CV type came along in the early 80s, they look very much like that, but so do the Mikuni VM29 smoothbore carbs too. ) A good way to find the measurement, if you were so inclined is to use your vernier calipers to measure the actual diameter of the slide. They look like Mikuni's to me, but im not an expert on Keihin carbs either, and they could very well have made a set similar to the VM's. As far as the pushpull goes, Ive never had it happen to me, but mechanical carbs would be more prone to hanging up rather than the vaccum operated CV type carbs. Its a slim risk, I personally dont have my pushpull set up running, but i also have a killswitch at thumbs reach...lol

Those look like stock 550 Keihins to me. There should be two throttle cables that connect to the carbs operating in opposite directions (push/pull).

Just a note - the ignition wires for cylinders 1 and 4 actually mount opposite to what you have now. The wires end up pointing back, up behind the tappet covers. This brings the wires into the center of the bike a bit more and doesn't leave them hanging out in the open as much.

Did you have the silencer welded onto the stock header? Looks great. Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Header and silencer - all one piece.

Thanx for tips on plug leads and carb stuff.

Tank, side covers and cowl are painted and the cowl is getting upholstered at the present time.

Seatcowlpaint9sm.jpg

SWEET machine! I've always had a 'thing' for SOHC Honda 4's! I'm looking for a 550 like yours to start a 2008 Project.

Thanks for inspiring me!

Wow, I was not expecting yellow at all.

Bike looks EXCELLENT. You clearly have alot of time and effort put into her - and clearly worth it.

Can't wait to see it all put together.

BTW, when you painted your frame, what's you use? Gun or Bomb? (I have all the painting gear for a gun but no longer have the backyard booth).
Plan is to paint my frame silver this winter and I like the finish you have on yours.

I had it powder coated.

It is so simple ....and I thought the cheaper option anyway. Cost me about $200 USD ($280 NZD) but they do all the prep work like bead blast. The finish is really hard/tough.

Powder coating requires a bit of care in electrix stage . Make sure you get the grounds in the frame sorted.

Shooter said:
I had it powder coated.

It is so simple ....and I thought the cheaper option anyway. Cost me about $200 USD ($280 NZD) but they do all the prep work like bead blast. The finish is really hard/tough.

Powder coating requires a bit of care in electrix stage . Make sure you get the grounds in the frame sorted.

I knew it was too good to be true, lol.
Def not cheaper for me... $90 can of automotive silver in my gun would be much cheaper than $200... But like you said there would be a lot of prep involved, and I have no booth.

If you're set up for paint and have the experience, then doing it yourself is cheaper. So is DIY just about anything I suppose.

I paid $225 to have my frame, two swingarms and about 15 other bits and pieces all blasted and powdercoated black. They did all the masking etc. of the necessary holes and they did a great job. I took my parts in there all dirty and greasy, although I did take the frame to the local self-serve car wash and blasted it with the hose to try and remove the top layer of 35 year old crud.

Somethings that I consider and factor in for DIY or shop it out:

The cost of my own time.
My skills and competence to attempt something
Whether I want or need the particular challenge
Desired end result
Degree of satisfaction
$$$$ (lesser consideration but still a factor)

If I can buy the tools and acquire the skills for a job at about the same cost as outsourcing it, I will typically do that. I finished my basement that way, buying the various mitre saws, air compressor, nail guns, sawzall, etc. etc. to do the job. The only part I farmed out was the taping/mudding/sanding of the drywall.

I did my basement bathroom, a small 5x7 powderoom, and did the mudding/sanding myself. Last time I'll ever do that. I sanded off more mud than I left behind. I was blowing white dust out my nose for weeks. People thought I was a coke addict.

Basements and drywall I can do (just finished a recroom - doing the mud and paint later in the week :) )
I'd consider powdercoating the frame, trees and swingarm. But there's only one local shop that does it, so they can charge whatever they want...

I'll look into it and weigh in the cost of setting up a makeshift booth, or renting a booth off a body shop (if at all possible).
I'd def rather powder coat if it's cost effective at all.

Ease said:
Basements and drywall I can do (just finished a recroom - doing the mud and paint later in the week :) )
I'd consider powdercoating the frame, trees and swingarm. But there's only one local shop that does it, so they can charge whatever they want...

I'll look into it and weigh in the cost of setting up a makeshift booth, or renting a booth off a body shop (if at all possible).
I'd def rather powder coat if it's cost effective at all.

I remember reading how someone took two elements out of some electric ovens, and created a powdercoat oven large enough for a frame. It had rail along the top to hold the items and was insulated. I'm really considering getting one of the eastwood powdercoat kits and building this oven when I get my own place.

Wish i could find those plans...

Back
Top Bottom