Title question

Cafe_to_go

Coast to Coast
I believe I shaerd my story with you before (the other forum), I bought the bike from a guy around the Chicagoland area and he had bought the bike from someone in Ohio. To make things short, he never got it titled and passed it on to me, I was able to produce a bill of sale as if I bought it from the previous owner. Then I found out there is a lien on the bike, well according to the title, it has the bank's name but it has no amount due/open or date regarding the lien, so as of September 2006 I was not able to get it titled. Any idea on how to get the frickin title without having to bother the original owner? I was going to try the currency exchange however they it would cost a lot more then going to the secretary of state. I want to have the frame powdercoated, but first put the bike under my name.

Cafe_to_go said:
I believe I shaerd my story with you before (the other forum), I bought the bike from a guy around the Chicagoland area and he had bought the bike from someone in Ohio. To make things short, he never got it titled and passed it on to me, I was able to produce a bill of sale as if I bought it from the previous owner. Then I found out there is a lien on the bike, well according to the title, it has the bank's name but it has no amount due/open or date regarding the lien, so as of September 2006 I was not able to get it titled. Any idea on how to get the frickin title without having to bother the original owner? I was going to try the currency exchange however they it would cost a lot more then going to the secretary of state. I want to have the frame powdercoated, but first put the bike under my name.
if you've already spoken with the bank and they said you have to pay the lien, then you have to pay the lien. Otherwise, goto a justice of the piece and explain the situation and see what they say.

i suggest you go to the local MOT office, and ask to speak to the senior person in charge. say you have a valid 'bill of sale' showing transfer of legal title from the prior owner to you, and the ohio 'certificate of title' in his name, and you want to transfer ownership into your name. the fact that the ohio 'certificate of title' shows a lien in favor of some bank in ohio seems completely irrelevant to the transfer of legal title. that's your problem, not the MOTs.

i bought a bike in chicago a year ago from Mr B, and the illinois 'certicate of title' was still in the name of Mr A (the prior owner) and also showed a lien in favor of Mr A. i didn't understand the documents, but i had no trouble getting the bike past US customs or registering it in my name at the MOT. i can only assume the US customs did their check and found no 'real' outstanding lien against the bike.

if you have the Canadian customs document showing that GST was paid on the bike, it means that the bike legally left the USA (not stolen/no liens) and legally entered canada (GST paid). the fact that the ohio 'certificate of title' shows a lien in favour of some bank is just outdated/stale information.

thats my suggestion anyway. good luck. :)

Yeah.. good luck with that one.. Im interested to hear how this unfolds...
I remember you posting this at our old site...

Back
Top Bottom