Sorry ass intro

# two

Hello, I've been lurking for a couple weeks. Stumbled across this site while looking for parts for my CB750 cafe build. I really like that there's a little of everything going on here, great site. I wanted to wait 'til I had time to drag all my junk out and get decent pics to post a proper intro BUT... The fore mentioned CB750 has got me stumped. I got it cheap, barn find been sitting since '05. I'm sure you all know the drill, carbs off and apart, tank and petcock cleaned out, oil change, new plugs, the battery was said to be new when the bike was "stored" so a little distilled water and a trickle charge and she ran like a champ. 1st or 2nd kick start consistently. Now only a week later there is no power, no lights, no spark, nothing. There is no power getting to the ignition switch but if I jump the solenoid the starter will turn. The three fuses on the right side are good. Is there an other fuse block or in line fuses that I am missing? Or did something burn out? It's a '75 CB750K. Again, I apologize for the sorry intro. Thanks, Dante.

Welcome to DTT Dante. Sounds like you need a multi meter and a few hours. Start at the battery and trace wires. Something has come loose, a wires insulation is worn away, a connection is corroded, or the old battery may have given up the ghost. Theres also the possibility the some of your elect components have gone bad as well. The only way to tell is to follow the spark. Good luck man, and keep us posted.

Thanks for the replies. I figured it would be a chase the wire game but was hoping to find an easy fix or common fault.

The common fault is that its 30+ years old... Haha. We've all had to play the "find the problem" game. Youll get used to it.

Yea, I know. I have a '71 T250 and a '77 XS650 also. It just gets to be a little discouraging sometimes.

Got it! Just a bad fuse. It was blown far to one side behind the metal end. Up and running again.

Now the real question... Why'd it blow?
could be a 30 y/o fuse issue and maybe replacing it with a new one will fix the issue, but I'd be looking for a chaffed or pinched wire in that circut that caused the short and took out the fuse in the first place. Especially if it blows again.

I'll do some more investigating if it blows again, but everything looked decent during the poke around I just did.

Back
Top Bottom