"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

What's one of my tag lines ???? Oh yes ........"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure" ::)

I'd rather call it evolving !! ;)

OK - The Glemseck in reality is some way off, mainly due to the funding and the amount of favours I'd have to call in for machining, fab, etc.

So - the "TD" will continue pretty much as the pix - with Grimeca / Borranis, Weber and the wrap round high level exhaust in an effort to get me back on the road sooner rather than later [ maybe not too late !! ].

I have secured a deal with Kaptain Kwack over on the Lonesome Twin forum for a spare late engine [ with electronic ign. ], frame, swingarm - and maybe a set of forks.

The plan is then to remove the bike from the bench and on to the assembly ramp and mock up the bones of the Glemseck on the bench in parallel. That als gives me a longer window to get all the mods done to the engine - twin plug head, oil cooler, turbo. NOS, etc.

The Avon "Speedflow" fairing arrived today and I think that's the one I'll go with.

der_nanno said:
Btw. I haven't forgotten about you, but this week has been a bit ... packed with things to do.

Absolutely NO rush !!!

HAS to be suck thro' now. I will be going with an SU. I'm back in my comfort zone AND it requires far less in the way of fab / machining.

I have an IHI turbo from an old Alfa Romeo hillclimber [ !! ], which I loaned to a pal several years ago for a set up [ BMW Oilhead ]. A lot of the early IHIs used a carbon seal - you never know ! he's bringing it back to me in the next two weeks.

CC,

here's the "Speedflow", it's handy for me as it has the built in "dashboard" where I can lose various switches, controls, etc.

This will be for the Glemseck project - the TD will revert to my original plan of a Flat Tracker style.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 915
I've got the IHI turbo back now. Size wise - only slightly bigger than the GT15, otherwise GTG.

I'll pull it apart this weekend and hopefully there will be a carbon seal inside !

Fingers crossed!

(As I am head over heels in work overhere, you'll probably have your KZ750 running before my TR1 runs again with a turbo... :-[ )

der_nanno said:
Fingers crossed!

(As I am head over heels in work overhere, you'll probably have your KZ750 running before my TR1 runs again with a turbo... :-[ )

Hey at least you HAD yours finished and on the road already !

I really hope the IHI has a carbon seal - Especially as I have 2 of them!

Both need a rebuild, but that's no biggie.

TJ

There you go, end of the day no less, but managed to take some pictures and post them on the blog.

http://greasygreg.blogspot.com/2017/05/turbo-size-comparison.html

No biggie, I am still into researching on the GT15-front, as I love that tiny turbo and at least for me, it should be a bit small but really wake up my Turbo-TR1. (Sent you a mail, asking for a favour. ;) )

I've had some down time looking after an old pal who has now finally undergone major surgery for lung cancer. Back and forth to hospital [ 40 mile round trip ] for 6 weeks, culminating in a twice daily visit [ taking his wife ] for the past 10 days.

Op 90% successful, most of the asbestosis removed along with a tumor. Lung re-inflated and doing well. Looking pretty positive as long as the remaining asbestosis doesn't produce another tumor.

So, I can get back to my projects now.

The good news is that on a recent visit to my old workshops to see my pal that took it over, he volunteered to have the KZ up there while he made various spacers, fab, etc. He makes parts for a couple of major classic car parts suppliers and has all the relevant machinery and skills to sort out my odd jobs.

Plan is to get the bike up there at the end of the month [ he has a big job to complete ] and work can begin to take me to the finishing straight.

beachcomber said:
I've had some down time looking after an old pal who has now finally undergone major surgery for lung cancer. Back and forth to hospital [ 40 mile round trip ] for 6 weeks, culminating in a twice daily visit [ taking his wife ] for the past 10 days.

Op 90% successful, most of the asbestosis removed along with a tumor. Lung re-inflated and doing well. Looking pretty positive as long as the remaining asbestosis doesn't produce another tumor.

So, I can get back to my projects now.

The good news is that on a recent visit to my old workshops to see my pal that took it over, he volunteered to have the KZ up there while he made various spacers, fab, etc. He makes parts for a couple of major classic car parts suppliers and has all the relevant machinery and skills to sort out my odd jobs.

Plan is to get the bike up there at the end of the month [ he has a big job to complete ] and work can begin to take me to the finishing straight.

Double well done with a side order of optimism fella.

A most positive move forward having your mate fine tune the fittings, nice one.

Looking back just a year ago, your outlook was bleak(ish) and now it's sunnyside up, yay.

Sunnyside up indeed NR !!

Thanx for your words of encouragement - I've taken a lot of comfort from the kind words and good wishes expressed here in the "dark days".

This guy is just the right person - the closest I'll get to a "build buddy" as he''s a biker [ proper Bonneville ] and he shared my workshop for 18 months before I retired.

Onwards and upwards

TJ

Had a phone call late last night from my mate Kaptain Kwak [ www.lonesometwin.com ] to say my twin plug head has been completed - and media blasted all ready for prepping and assembly . ;D

There's a good possibility that he will do a second head [ for the Weber fed road bike ] for me while he still has the jigs.

They are only on loan at the moment, but if he can he will make another set of jigs .......... twin plug heads anyone ? ;)

When I collect the head I will also be taking delivery of the late engine and spare frame / s.arm for the Glemseck bike.

beachcomber said:
Had a phone call late last night from my mate Kaptain Kwak [ www.lonesometwin.com ] to say my twin plug head has been completed - and media blasted all ready for prepping and assembly . ;D

There's a good possibility that he will do a second head [ for the Weber fed road bike ] for me while he still has the jigs.

They are only on loan at the moment, but if he can he will make another set of jigs .......... twin plug heads anyone ? ;)

When I collect the head I will also be taking delivery of the late engine and spare frame / s.arm for the Glemseck bike.

So, with the dual plug head, what ignition setup are you going with?

While I was sitting twiddling my thumbs waiting for my pal to clear his work and get the chassis up for the machining etc., I decided to look again at the intake / exhaust as this will be the last opportunity until he has finished his part of the work.

Anyone who followed the early embryonic Glemseck ideas, will remember that originally I wanted to use an Eaton blower. When I offered mine up [ 1 of 3 ], it was obvious that it was plain too big enough to fit without butchering the frame. Also – as I thought – the drive from the alternator side rotated the wrong way for the blower. Blower clockwise.

Of course when I found out I was wrong about the engine rotation :-[ – I had already moved on to the idea of a turbo. I have never made a secret that I am not comfortable with turbos ! Yes, I KNOW all about the benefits – but I’m also aware of the drawbacks and having built 5 or 6 blown twins in the 60’s [ Shorrock ] that would be my preference.

So, why bring it up? Well a blower I had already sold to a guy was returned to me as “the wrong one” – glad in a way as it was without doubt the best s/h Eaton I’ve owned. Absolutely NO snout play and excellent rotors.

Since I had it back, I never even unpacked it [ 6 weeks ] – until today.

“Well I’ll be blowed” [ forgive pun and insert your own expletive ] – ” It’s more compact than the other 2″. 8)

Whizz out to shed, remove exhaust and Weber and offer the blower up ……………….. yes, that’ll do nicely.

At a stroke that relieves me of sorting out oil feed for turbo [ blower self contained ], and electronics / carb – and the main stumbling block, getting a turbo unit with the old school carbon seal. That will make the installation so much simpler, and relatively speaking the tuning set up far easier. Of course NO turbo lag, something I was a bit concerned with a twin – and boost from idle.

As I was going to have to devise an oil pump drive for the GSXR oil pump anyway, I’m no worse off AND I’ve already got all the pulleys.

One very happy Beachcomber. ;D

CC - thought I'd responded to your query - they guy who developed the twin plug head originally has all the data - I'm just waiting for him to send the details. He drives his bike VERY hard [ 860cc ] and has reported no issues over the past 3 years.

Attachments

• kz blower time 004.jpg
    kz blower time 004.jpg
    668.7 KB · Views: 182
Maritime said:
Well there you go, looks great TJ, nice when things like this happen eh?

Thanx for the encouragement, it's all falling into place - makes a change !

I still have to get an intake made up and I'll have to move the exhaust to the other side. Fortunately it's a mirror image, so no probs.

I have a couple of "interesting" innovations for fuel tank and other "relocations" - if it works out !

I'll be going with ( probably ) clip-ons and the Speed flow top fairing - the one with the built in dash.

I'm much happier developing this solution over the turbo and have definitely got my mojo back.

Re: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Eeexcelent (in a mr Burns voice) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom